Lincoln Forums Navigation:

Problem replacing door latches in a 2017 Contintental

twest

Thread starter #1
The Continental was in the flood in Houston. I purchased the car in January and to get the car running the BCM was replaced, all the modules were programmed and the water was drain out of the tank. The car has 1500 miles. The car runs great.

A major problem is that only the drivers door opens after the latch was replaced and programmed. Apparently the car was locked when it was flooded. The latches are all electronic. There are no manual releases except the drivers door.

1. The question is how to remove the door latches without opening the doors.

2. The passenger side door presents a challenge in that the dash is right next to the door panel.

A part of the solution would be to remove the seats and console making it easier to remove the door panels but how to remove the latches is a problem.

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
Welcome to the Forum again.

Have you talked to your Lincoln dealer to see if there is a way of manually/mechanically opening the 3 passenger doors. I would think Lincoln would have anticipated your problem and devised a workaround.

The interior door latch switch is mounted in a larger nacelle than required so perhaps remove that switch and see if the door latch can be seen and a mechanical release used to open the door. The front passenger switch is located in line with the latch so that would be what i would try.

The rear door latches are not in line with the switch so you would need to know what to look for.

It might be a problem for me too so i will talk to my dealer.

Good luck.

twest

Thread starter #3
Thank you for the response. At the dealer I talked to the service advisor (not a mechanic) and he was at a loss.

A friend suggested a locksmith and that's what I'm going to try tomorrow.

The only latch/actuator that has a mechanical release is the driver door. There are no other mechanical releases. I'm not sure what you mean by the switch being in line with the latch. When I refer to the latch/actuator it is visible when you open the door and look in the end of the door and see the opening that makes contact with a piece of metal shaped into a loop. The metal loop is mounted to the B pillar. When looking at the latch/actuator there are no rods or any other traditional mechanical parts attached to it. The wiring harness in the car connects to it and if I remember right there are two wires that connect to each latch.

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
The people on the desk that write up your service order know nothing about your car. You need to ask for the service manager and explain your problem. S/he will be able to get a tech to look up the solution or access the Ford OASIS system to get an engineer to resolve your problem. I think Ford must have considered the potential for your problem to occur and devised a workaround.

The armrest in the driver and front passenger doors is level with the door latch (that connects to the pillar) and the electrical switch mounted in that armrest. If you remove the switch plate there may be access to the actual latch with a rod or similar to open the door. Just like the driver door but hidden in the armrest.

Good luck.

Does Title say it is a flood car? If Lincoln finds out it is a flood car, they will not do warranty work on it. Oasis report will probably say so if Lincoln knows about it.

On Jaguars and Land Rovers this is a problem with the security and locking module: easiest fix was to pull the battery cable (only one you can get to is positive -- a really lousy positioning on Fords these days) and touch the cable to the negative post for 20 seconds. This drains all the capacitors and resets memory on modules back to base. Never failed to fix my Jag or my 08 Range Rover. On my Cadillac it was a soaked connection at the switch. On my first LR, it was a soaked (and thus grounded) wire running along the frame rail.

Since the owners manual also suggests a battery reset for errors in trunk opening, I would give it a try. And, as noted above, the service manager should know this. Another thought: sometimes the Lincoln guys don't see many problems: maybe ask the Ford guys.

Last edited:
Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

HTML