Power steerig

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
As @alumarine asked, we need your model year?

Most all Town Cars have the EVO power steering which uses vehicle speed as the sensor to control the power steering applied pressure. The suspension module controls both the air suspension and the evo steering. When the vehicle is parked and at low speed the power steering has full power. As the speed increases the power steering pressure decreases significantly so the steering feels heavier. It appears that your car has defaulted to no power steering, so as your go faster the steering gets easier because less power steering pressure is needed.

The vehicle speed sensor may differ across model years but the general idea is that it gives off a lower rate signal at low speed and a higher rate signal at high speed (max of 600 at 144 kph). I assume your speedometer is working and depending on model may eliminate that sensor. There is also an actuator that takes the signal from the suspension module (Power steering side) and applies it to varying the pressure, so that could have failed too. Or your power steering pump is not working. With your model year we can come up with the procedures perhaps.

Do you still have air suspension or was it converted to steel springs?

Jeffrey H

Most all Town Cars have the EVO power steering which uses vehicle speed as the sensor to control the power steering applied pressure. The suspension module controls both the air suspension and the evo steering. When the vehicle is parked and at low speed the power steering has full power. As the speed increases the power steering pressure decreases significantly so the steering feels heavier. It appears that your car has defaulted to no power steering, so as your go faster the steering gets easier because less power steering pressure is needed.

The vehicle speed sensor may differ across model years but the general idea is that it gives off a lower rate signal at low speed and a higher rate signal at high speed (max of 600 at 144 kph). I assume your speedometer is working and depending on model may eliminate that sensor. There is also an actuator that takes the signal from the suspension module (Power steering side) and applies it to varying the pressure, so that could have failed too. Or your power steering pump is not working. With your model year we can come up with the procedures perhaps.

I have a 2006 tc signature with 93000 mi. Suspension was never changed so i assume its still air. Which side is power steering side?

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
I have a 2006 tc signature with 93000 mi. Suspension was never changed so i assume its still air. Which side is power steering side?
I assume you want to know which of the two connectors on the suspension module is for the power steering? Sorry I don't know. There is an actuator on the pump which opens and closes a valve so look at those wires and check for same colours at the module. The suspension connector will have many more wires for the height sensor, spring solenoids and compressor motor and solenoid, suspension off switch, power, ground, etc.

skeeter1950

I srill have the air ride it just stiffen up was park 2 months steering is harder

joe1234

Had a coworker with the same problem, but a foreign made car. The auto shop replaced the rack and pinion, but still had same issue. I did a quick google search and told him it was the probably the pump. The auto shop replaced the pump and problem went away.

The steering pump has to operate at variable speeds without dragging down the fuel economy and probably has some mechanical switching when in idle vs. driving.

Abafa

Does the dash instrument cluster any thing to do with steering?
Mine went suddenly off
And the steering is hard only the first minute when I start the car
The it becomes normal

HTML