Potential First Time Lincoln Owner

n_moss110

Hey guys,

I am looking to buy a Lincoln Navigator for my ever growing family. I currently have 4 kiddos and 1 on the way. My wife doesn't like the idea of a mini-van and cargo space is a must, and I absolutely love the Navigator look. I am looking at a 2012 with right at 101,000 miles on the odometer. Are there any reliability concerns for these vehicles?

I currently have a 2007 Chevrolet Suburban that we just got a month ago and we absolutely HATE it. So, we are getting rid of it and hopefully finding ourselves in a newer BETTER vehicle. How do the Navigators compare to the Suburbans and Escalades? Oil consumption issues? Seizing spark plug issues? Transmission issues? Anything that is somewhat common would be appreciated!

Thanks guys!

-Nick

07navi

Hey guys,

I am looking to buy a Lincoln Navigator for my ever growing family. I currently have 4 kiddos and 1 on the way. My wife doesn't like the idea of a mini-van and cargo space is a must, and I absolutely love the Navigator look. I am looking at a 2012 with right at 101,000 miles on the odometer. Are there any reliability concerns for these vehicles?

I currently have a 2007 Chevrolet Suburban that we just got a month ago and we absolutely HATE it. So, we are getting rid of it and hopefully finding ourselves in a newer BETTER vehicle. How do the Navigators compare to the Suburbans and Escalades? Oil consumption issues? Seizing spark plug issues? Transmission issues? Anything that is somewhat common would be appreciated!

Thanks guys!

-Nick
They all have their own set of problems, why did you hate the burb?

rdraggz

I too drove GM all my life. I was in the business. Sense retired I needed a change so I bought a 2006 navigator, and LOVE IT. However, had I've know its ONE LARGE, 1000.00 TO tune it, I may have reconsidered. Thank the Lord I know people so it's not as bad but, gezzz.
Also, the suspension was changed over, and the air ride is gone. Typical lincoln thing....AIR RIDE SUSPENSION, SO CHECK THAT.
One thing that's baffled me, after 4 new tires, and two 4whl alignments I have inside wear on the tires. I've put 6, 7000 mile on it sense I've had it.
Anyway, go for it..... if it seems right to you, DO IT

OldSchoolLincolnGuy

I have own a 2012 Lincoln Navigator. I bought it last year when it had 71000 miles. It now has 79000 miles. The only things that I have paid for are: oil change, changed air filter, changed rear window wiper blade, and changed the battery. The vehicle has been bullet proof and rides like a 747. I love the style reliability and ease of maintenance. 101000 is avg mileage for a 2012. Make sure if there are maintenance records available and have a mechanic check it. If everything checks fine I recommend it. Its a great vehicle. They can run 200k to 300k with basic maintenance. Repairs and maintenance not as expensive as the imports for this full size luxury suv. Remember this was about a $60000 vehicle new and you can buy it for a fraction of that. Its an older body style but still classy and you look like a King whether you drive to Walmart or the countryclub. Regards.

vipersinu2

see what engine is in truck, if it it a 5.4 liter, beware. you can youtube all day 5.4 cam phasers timing chane "ENGINE REPLACEMENT' it is cheaper to replace the engine that to fix the engine problems.

used F150, Expeditions, and Navigators sell for alot cheaper at auction b/c everyone know that engine has issues!

OldSchoolLincolnGuy

In response to the previous post. I have known owners of Navigators from the first generation (1998-2002) to the third generation (2007-2014) that have never had major engine problems with the 5.4 liter engine. I known about spark plug issues in the mid 2000s (2003-2007) where the spark plugs would break inside when changing them on the 5.4 liter engine. But Ford fixed this problem around 2008. For post 2010 Navigators I don't think there are major engine problems on the 5.4 liter engine, at least my Ford mechanic told me. They are pretty built proof engines with basic maintenance. I will put it this way--I will take a 2012 Navigator with a 5.4 over any 2012 Cadillac Escalade, Tahoe, Yukon, or Chrysler-Dodge with their V8s any day of the week.

Black Label

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Burr Ridge, IL

07navi

see what engine is in truck, if it it a 5.4 liter, beware. you can youtube all day 5.4 cam phasers timing chane "ENGINE REPLACEMENT' it is cheaper to replace the engine that to fix the engine problems.

used F150, Expeditions, and Navigators sell for alot cheaper at auction b/c everyone know that engine has issues!
They are all 5.4 and that shows how much you know. Don't believe everything you read, there are thousands of them on the road doing just fine and replacing a phaser is a one day job and prices have come down on parts so...………...wrong

HTML