Possible 79 Mark V purchase

Striper80

I recently came across a 79 Mark V and I’m thinking of pulling the trigger. It’s been sitting a while but looks solid, from what I can tell since it’s covered in dirt from a tree. The bottom of the doors and by the door jambs have rust but the body is solid otherwise. The interior looks to be leather and is in great shape with mild stress cracking on the passenger and drivers seat, with one rip in the corner of the drivers seat.
The owner says it has a 460, but from what I’ve read only the 400was available that year. She runs but needs some going through and brake lines, exhaust etc.
The car really isn’t something I’m into but when I opened the door, and saw the mint interior I was smitten. I’m thinking I can clean it up and make it a nice cruiser. I just need to sell the wife on the idea of buying another “junk car” as she sees it. What’s a realistic selling price for one of these on good running order with all repairs made?

Attachments

jkeaton

Winston Salem, NC
How much do they want for it, how much do you want to invest in it? How many miles? That rust appears to be significant and will not be cheap to repair correctly, may be cheaper to replace the doors with un-rusted ones, if you can find them. What condition is the vinyl top in? Finding places to repair/replace vinyl tops is becoming increasingly difficult and expensive as less and less automotive upholstery shops stop providing that service due to lack of demand/skilled upholsterers (dying breed). Just based on that one pic, you could have a significant money pit on your hands. And considering "the car is really not something you are into", IMO, you should pass. Selling price is whatever someone else with an interest would be willing to pay for it and depends on if it is fully restored or just cosmetically "cleaned up" as you are intending to do. You can check out this site to see what some really, really nice (restored/cream puff) Mark V's are going for. Good luck!

SizeMatters

Yes, if it is the original engine it will be a 400. Easiest tell is the air cleaner housing...if it's not painted it's a 400 and if it's blue it's a 460. Keaton is right..look around the trim at the back of the roof for rust stains.. good indication of problems under the top.

Last edited:

Striper80

Yes, if it is the original engine it will be a 400. Easiest tell is the air cleaner housing...if it's not painted it's a 400 and if it's blue it's a 460. Keaton is right..look around the trim at the back of the roof for rust stains.. good indication of problems under the top.
The air cleaner definitely wasn’t blue. The bottom of the doors and by the door jamb show rust, but it’s not perforated. The rest of the paint, where I rubbed the dirt off, looks to be decent. I was hoping to be able to clean it really well and just do the repairs below the moldings. Unfortunately, on further inspection, I noticed some rust beginning right near the vinyl top edge. I do paint and body for a living so the lower areas didn’t bother me, but I really don’t want to get involved with the vinyl top.
The car is cheap enough that I’d take a chance on it but, I already have a project car and tough to sell my wife on another one.

HTML