Lincoln Forums Navigation:

Popping from rear speakers, intermittent

When I turn on or start the car, sometimes there is a loud popping, once per second, for up to two minutes. Once it stops the radio will play through all speakers. If I disonnect the left most connector on the amp ( I believe that harness comes from the radio unit ), no popping. Did the software update at the dealer but it didn't help. Anyone else have this, what was the fix?

I brought the car to a Lincoln dealer to perform a software update, but that didn't fix the problem. They spent another 4 hours "troubleshooting" but were unable to diagnose and fix. Are Lincoln dealers able/qualified to diagnose problems with the THX sound system?

hammarlund

replaced the radio unit, the problem still persists. seems like only the amplifier remains a possibility (doubt a wiring issue). reluctant to bring it back to another dealer. any ideas?

hammarlund

have an appointment in a few days at another dealer. they'll run diagnostics ( $80 ) and have an answer in a couple of hours ( they say and I hope ). They suspect the amp. Will update when I have the results.

hammarlund

they diagnosed a bad amp. that's ordered, should be here tomorrow. I took the amp in the car out and removed the main board to inspect for things that might cause an intermittent problem: bad solder connection on the connector headers, electrolytic caps etc. Didn't see anything. For the price of the amp, this had better be the problem!

new amp installed, no popping. but amp doesn't work yet because it has to be "programmed" to work with the rest of the system in the car. The original part number ended in "-AA", but the replacement ends in "-B". So I get to spend another $120 for the dealer to update the system with this information. Wonderful. Let's see: $80 + $640 + $120. Wonderful.

Update will be done next week, so if it doesn't work I'll post that info. Otherwise, $840 bucks total to fix!!

I am having problems with the THX system. Truck is just about one year old. When I turn the car on, the THX Certified words are locked on the screen. I cannot turn the radio off, I cannot change the station, no other buttons work.

Any suggestions? Thanks......

bbf2530

Hi aditya. You should begin your own new thread instead of piggybacking onto someone else's. Also, if your truck is only 1 year old, you should bring it to a Lincoln or Ford Dealership and have them repair it under warranty.

Either way, it is not polite to hijack someone else's thread with your issues. So begin your own thread and people will be happy to assist.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

HTML