Popping from rear speakers, intermittent

Welcome to the busiest full-spectrum Lincoln community online!

Please join us! We'd really love to have you as a member...

hammarlund

When I turn on or start the car, sometimes there is a loud popping, once per second, for up to two minutes. Once it stops the radio will play through all speakers. If I disonnect the left most connector on the amp ( I believe that harness comes from the radio unit ), no popping. Did the software update at the dealer but it didn't help. Anyone else have this, what was the fix?

hammarlund

I brought the car to a Lincoln dealer to perform a software update, but that didn't fix the problem. They spent another 4 hours "troubleshooting" but were unable to diagnose and fix. Are Lincoln dealers able/qualified to diagnose problems with the THX sound system?

hammarlund

replaced the radio unit, the problem still persists. seems like only the amplifier remains a possibility (doubt a wiring issue). reluctant to bring it back to another dealer. any ideas?

hammarlund

have an appointment in a few days at another dealer. they'll run diagnostics ( $80 ) and have an answer in a couple of hours ( they say and I hope ). They suspect the amp. Will update when I have the results.

hammarlund

they diagnosed a bad amp. that's ordered, should be here tomorrow. I took the amp in the car out and removed the main board to inspect for things that might cause an intermittent problem: bad solder connection on the connector headers, electrolytic caps etc. Didn't see anything. For the price of the amp, this had better be the problem!

hammarlund

new amp installed, no popping. but amp doesn't work yet because it has to be "programmed" to work with the rest of the system in the car. The original part number ended in "-AA", but the replacement ends in "-B". So I get to spend another $120 for the dealer to update the system with this information. Wonderful. Let's see: $80 + $640 + $120. Wonderful.

hammarlund

Update will be done next week, so if it doesn't work I'll post that info. Otherwise, $840 bucks total to fix!!

hammarlund

car programmed to accept new amplifier and it is working as it should. $840 to fix, but I saved $120 by installing the amp myself.

SurfPrimo

When I turn on or start the car, sometimes there is a loud popping, once per second, for up to two minutes.
Hey Hammarlund
I am having the Same, EXACT problem. It was only once in a while but now it's constantly popping. And Now, it has this AM/FM Static sound coming through the front middle speaker when the Radio/Navigation is completely tuned off.

I have a 2012 Lincoln Nav w/ Sync Ver.1.
Your post was *VERY* illuminating.
I'm going to hunt down this Amplifier and take a look at it, BUT.... **QUESTION**
Have you heard of Beng able to install an *AfterMarket* Amp instead of that $600+ Factory one that broke in the first place??? Thanks!

Mvagustabill

Same here 9New Member) 2010 MKS base.

These are the issues I found. Repair photos coming soon. $10 bucks, so far works as good as new!!!

My friend basically soldered new "gold material" and we installed new foam.

If all works well, I will add more details to this thread.

Cheers

Attachments

• AMP.jpg
    AMP.jpg
    349.2 KB · Views: 33

pita141

This solution fixed my 2012 Lincoln Navigator. Same part number and everything.

efb

think there is a short. Today I touched the rear window control
on the drivers door, it stopped. ?????

enigma-2

Think I seen a YouTube video sometime back that traced most of these problems to failed cold solder joints in thd amp board. Guy went over the circuit board traces with a soldering iron and "resoldered" all traces.

G-604445

Take the amp out first. If you see a bunch of worn out foam inside, replace it with new foam (I used some letters from a set of alphabet stick on foam craft activities that she used to play with). It fixed the issue for me, and having to say two curse words getting the amp out and repairing it for free is way better than $840. Especially when they both have the same chance of working in the end.

G-811917

Take the amp out first. If you see a bunch of worn out foam inside, replace it with new foam (I used some letters from a set of alphabet stick on foam craft activities that she used to play with). It fixed the issue for me, and having to say two curse words getting the amp out and repairing it for free is way better than $840. Especially when they both have the same chance of working in the end.
Do you have any pictures of what was wrong with it

gboise9

If I have my neighbor unhook my subwoofers will the issue stop. I am disabled and live alone and need a quick fix. Just looking for a quick solution as it does it 15-20 minutes sometimes. Thank you

dmday218

When I turn on or start the car, sometimes there is a loud popping, once per second, for up to two minutes. Once it stops the radio will play through all speakers. If I disonnect the left most connector on the amp ( I believe that harness comes from the radio unit ), no popping. Did the software update at the dealer but it didn't help. Anyone else have this, what was the

When I turn on or start the car, sometimes there is a loud popping, once per second, for up to two minutes. Once it stops the radio will play through all speakers. If I disonnect the left most connector on the amp ( I believe that harness comes from the radio unit ), no popping. Did the software update at the dealer but it didn't help. Anyone else have this, what was the fix?
Where is the amp located??