Poor ride quality - how can it be improved?

Welcome to the busiest full-spectrum Lincoln community online!

Please join us! We'd really love to have you as a member...

MarkX

What do you all use to add weight?
Ie: gym weights? Sand bag? What?
I used our personal baggage and family gifts to achieve a full load as described above on April 1 that included what the rear seats folded flat but without obstructing any rearward visibility could accommodate. I would estimate that it was 350-400 pounds plus an overweight driver and a passenger whose weight I shall not categorize. It produced a pretty good ride. The gifts are gone now and the ride is still pretty good. You might follow the suggestion above that 100-150 lb. would be a good starting point but “season to taste.” Whatever weights you use I would think centered but as forward as you can get it. However, even with a full load in my case above, the car did not feel “tail-heavy.”

yankeeysrule319

How many miles on the shocks and struts? Also are the rims bent?
Tires could be a possibility just switched to the Michelin pilot super sport 4s and wow what a difference in ride quality!!

jhartz

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Virginia Beach, VA
So not a continental?
Yes, Continentals: this is the Continental (new series 2017 - 2020) forum. Everybody contributing to this thread, so far as I know, is discussing ride quality issues on the new series Continental. If you are talking about the older Continentals, you are on the wrong forum.

Last edited:

C Krohn

Fort Worth, TX
I don't have a Continental, but I recently replaced the tires on my MKX. I was trying to get a softer ride than the OEM "V" rated tires, so I went with 'H' rated tires. It worked. I have about 3500 miles on the new tires, and they're giving me a slightly softer ride with no noticeable difference in handling. I'm not a "spirited" driver. It's a Lincoln, not a Mustang.

cmjabo

Which tire did you go with? I'm in Florida and need to replace my Michelin Premier LTX tires. We get heavy rain and need something that will handle well in wet weather also. Not just rain but HEAVY rain. Sometimes white out conditions on the highway like a snow storm but rain.

yankeeysrule319

Yes, Continentals: this is the Continental (new series 2017 - 2020) forum. Everybody contributing to this thread, so far as I know, is discussing ride quality issues on the new series Continental. If you are talking about the older Continentals, you are on the wrong forum.
Gotcha 2017 Lincoln Continental with 20" OEM wheels. Switching out the stock tires to the Michelin supersport PS4 made a world of difference in comfort compared to stock OEM all seasons. Also, grip is phenomenal. Cannot recommend those tires enough! Lastly, Costco has a great deal on them as well where you get 150 dollars off if you buy 4.

C Krohn

Fort Worth, TX
Which tire did you go with? I'm in Florida and need to replace my Michelin Premier LTX tires. We get heavy rain and need something that will handle well in wet weather also. Not just rain but HEAVY rain. Sometimes white out conditions on the highway like a snow storm but rain.
I bought General Altimax RT43

jhartz

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Virginia Beach, VA
My Reserve, like the 2017, is a lease. If I keep it, moving to Michelins is where I am going, as well. My first Continental with 19" Michelins rode much better than the 2020 on Goodyears. With 60 years of driving, I have never had much luck with Goodyear . . . years ago, I pulled the GY Wranglers off my 2008 RRS/SC and went with Firestone, as you noted, a world of differences.

SilverFox

Hi SilverFox. If ride comfort matters to you, do not switch from 19" to 20" wheels.

As brucelinc and others in this thread have mentioned, the larger the wheel diameter, the shorter the tire sidewall must be (in order to keep the correct overall diameter). And apples to apples, the shorter the tire sidewall, the firmer/harsher the ride will be.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
bff2530, and brucelinc, thank you so very much for the advise! What you said bff2530 makes sense. Didn't realize that bigger rims could cause rougher ride. My 07 Grand Marquis LS is a beautiful ride comfort. The same with the 1996 Crown Victoria. So, I was rather disappointed to not have the same soft feel with my 2020 Continental. Nonetheless, she's a classic and a keeper!

socialninja

Ok the loud “road noise” can be improved by switching to 18” or 19” rims and tires. However still can not stand the un-luxury LOUD Ta-Dump Ta-Dump...when getting on a bridge or bridge expansion joints or what I believe tire manufactures call “sudden impacts” that occur while daily driving.
There is more attention to noise canceling the engine noise than the attention to what a luxury car should be, quiet ride, smooth ride.

SUV’s and Pickup trucks ride smoother and quieter.

I have fixed the road noise by removing my 20” rims and getting a quiet ride tire.
But
How can we fix or improve the Ta-Dump or “sudden Impact” frustratingly LOUD noise ?
In my opinion, what you’re experiencing is more a characteristic of the tire. Some are designed to handle those impacts better. Next, you have to ask, “what are you comparing it to?” If you’re comparing ride and character to another car, say a Lexus, or Caddy big body, well you may not find exactly that same ride. I think of my Continental as a sports sedan. I also went from an SUV to the car. Now, I’ve had a car with identical tires to my Dads Lexus, and his car was noticeably quieter, on the same tire. That was with my Mercedes S500. Lastly, you can play with the ride settings. My daughter loves riding on the soft setting. I love the normal setting. For me, sport reminds me of my BMW 728 in BBS wheels. Outside of those things, I’d discuss it with a service tech, and just make sure that alignment and suspension is optimal. I hope this was helpful. I’ve had so many different cars, that certain brands have distinction, more than each vehicle. I will admit, this Continental is a whole different animal, than every other Ford product I’ve owned. 🥷

socialninja

My Reserve, like the 2017, is a lease. If I keep it, moving to Michelins is where I am going, as well. My first Continental with 19" Michelins rode much better than the 2020 on Goodyears. With 60 years of driving, I have never had much luck with Goodyear . . . years ago, I pulled the GY Wranglers off my 2008 RRS/SC and went with Firestone, as you noted, a world of differences.
Michelin’s are like riding on butter. Definitely my favorite ride. I had Goodyear’s on my MKT, when I first got it. I had no problem with the ride or anything. I replaced those with Michelin’s, my go to tire, and oh, man! I replace the tires on my Continental with Vogues. I’m so incredibly pleased. I got into them because of a bad tire, and just needing to get something done. Vogue had a great review, and the were an inexpensive choice. The difference, on the 20’s, is crazy Great. I’ve been singing their praise to everyone. I’ve heard similar feelings from other Continental owners.

socialninja

Newer cars have wider, low profile tires to improve handling. Low profile tires don't have as much sidewall flex as higher profile tires, and therefore, produce a stiffer ride. My '13 MKS and '17 MKX don't have the soft ride that my '97 Mercury Grand Marquis had, but they handle better. You can't have it both ways.
True