Poor ride quality - how can it be improved?

Welcome to the busiest full-spectrum Lincoln community online!

Please join us! We'd really love to have you as a member...

Black Label

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Burr Ridge, IL
With respect to the MB comments, I agree. Not impressed. My dad has leased the GL450 and now the smaller version of that for about the last 8-10 years or so. So, brand new vehicles, and he babies them. I have ridden in all of them. I commented to my wife how rattly they are and just not very comfortable. But, yes, the marketing will tell you otherwise, and they sell a ton of them anyway.

Perception.

MarkX

People have different taste that's for sure. I've only bought one car that really disappointed me and it was a Lexus. I know a lot of people really like them. But I found everything about the car off. It happens. I sold the car in less than a year. Took a beating. But it was better than driving around all bitter....and the best part. My next car was a 2013 MKS.
Agree, If you don't like the car you bought, sell it! I've done that a few times and never regretted it: new Jaguar XJ6, two weeks; new M-B S430 two months. Life is too short.

jhartz

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Virginia Beach, VA
I have said this before: for the price, the Continental is a good buy. Lots of luxury for ~$50 - 70K. Not equal a Jaguar at $105k, but close enough. Taking a beating on both leases (OBW: 2017 still not yet repaired). Want non-luxury, go for the hard seats in any BMW. Suspension tuning in Mercedes -- matters not which model -- assures hard ride to get the exceptional handling. So work the engineering trades: Continental is very good, for the price.

Ride would be much better with Michelins or Pirellis: the Goodyears on the 2020 Reserve are terrible; ride harder, have a balancing issue between 50 and 65. They also loose more air in cold weather -- set at 39 # in 60*, drop to under 33# as temperature drops toward freezing ((I know, I know, it's Tom Brady deflating the tires!)). Guy-Lussac's law at its finest!

Treat center

I noticed when I open the sunroof the god awful ride and the excessive thump when ones hits a sudden impact noise escapes and tolerable. I wonder if the noise could be echoing inside the cabin and if there is any way or product to absorb the poor ride quality noise and thumping.

socialninja

Newer cars have wider, low profile tires to improve handling. Low profile tires don't have as much sidewall flex as higher profile tires, and therefore, produce a stiffer ride. My '13 MKS and '17 MKX don't have the soft ride that my '97 Mercury Grand Marquis had, but they handle better. You can't have it both ways.
Bingo! In a world of ever emerging tech, sometimes sometimes you do get what you ask for. Digital vs analog. We want better, but sometimes what we left was what we wanted. My advice... give it time. I too was really amazed that the ride in my MKT was preferable to my Continental. In some ways, I still miss certain things. I have, however, really grown to love, both the agility and the ride. It’s hardest to forget your last ride. Especially if you really loved it.

socialninja

That's an excellent idea. I researched air suspensions allot for my hot-rod. For comfort you need "rolling sleeve" air bags - good donor model is the E53 BMW X5 it has front McPherson rolling sleeve air springs. For the rear it would be more complicated, but there are some rolling sleeve springs that will fit.

What is more important is a. actual comfort from the inherently stiff air springs and b. good control of ride height. Here are the solutions:
a. Expansion tanks connected to the air springs with big crossection hoses such as at least 1/2 inch diameter. Expansion tank lowers the spring rate while preserving the load carrying ability at the same pressure.
- Expansion tanks should be actuated (connected and disconnected) with high capacity solenoids. This way you will have two settings of the springs - comfort and sport.
- Another super comfort setting would be connecting left and right springs with the same gauge hose, this would give even lower spring rate as well as ability to transfer air between springs - all hydractive suspension cars have this setting - Citroen, Rolls Royce, Toyota Land Cruiser, Big Infinity SUV's etc. At certain steering angle, the solenoid for left and right is closed as well as in sport.

b. Ride height should be controlled by mechanical device such as the ones found in old Mercedes Benz from 60's and 70's with some inert time around center position in order to preserve air from the control tank and thus reduce compressor up time. You could use 3 or 4 such devices 2 on the front and one at the rear axle, but 4 separate leveling devices are better.

This system is simpler and cheaper than the circus phone app controlled suspensions, but is much more safe, comfortable and functional.
The question from me is, who or what type of shop would have these products and be able to do the work? Your, “donor” comment, lends towards junking and creating a hybrid/bastard set up.

bbf2530

I noticed when I open the sunroof the god awful ride and the excessive thump when ones hits a sudden impact noise escapes and tolerable. I wonder if the noise could be echoing inside the cabin and if there is any way or product to absorb the poor ride quality noise and thumping.

Hi Treat center. Are you driving with one window open at the times this occurs? Modern vehicles can experience "Harmonic resonance" when driven with only one window open. Even if only cracked open. The faster you drive, the worse it will be. And it can become intolerable at higher speeds.

Essentially, it occurs due to the streamlined aspect of modern vehicles, and the air pressure fluctuations which may/will occur when only one window is open. Cracking open another window (or the moonroof) will allow the air pressure fluctuations to balance out.

So essentially, if we only open our drivers window, we get harmonic resonance at speeds above, let's say ~25 mph. And it will get progressively worse the faster we go.

While Internet diagnosis is tricky at best, the description you give could be a "Harmonic resonance issue". Try cracking open a second window instead of the moonroof, and see if you get the same positive result. I usually crack open the right rear window, but any window will do.

This used to be mentioned in the Owners Manual, but perhaps it has been eliminated in more recent models?

On the other hand, it you are getting this noise with all windows fully closed, and opening moonroof alleviates it, then my theory is right out the window. :unsure::ROFLMAO:

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

MotownTom

Detroit
I'm experiencing the same with my Eagles. I'm going to have mine checked as well.
I had that as well (3.0L AWD). I noticed it more when cruising, but under hard acceleration it wasn't as noticeable. Made me think the issue was in the front tires - sure enough, took it into the dealership and the fronts were out of balance. The local Lincoln dealer charged $75 for the rebalancing.

MarkX

I have a new answer for how to improve the Conti’s ride quality: load her up! For the past 2,000 miles, my Conti has been loaded to the gills mostly with family gifts. The trunk is absolutely full, which is quite a lot, back seats are down and loaded. And, guess what? The ride is vastly improved. It is not bothered by potholes or bridge joins, which was not the case when empty. In general, the car feels more planted to the road.

jhartz

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Virginia Beach, VA
Failing to remember everything I was taught a long time ago about spring rates and tire pressure, but just enough to recommend lowering daily tire pressure . . .

Todor

Sofia-Bulgaria
Can't lower the pressure much.
All manufacturers spec a cold tire pressure that leads to no more than 4% tire sidewall deformation. Even 3.7-3.8% at 260-270kPa the 20's deform about 3.7-3.8%.
For comparison, 05 Mustang GT with stock 235/55/17 at 240kPa deforms the sidewalls 1.8% and 2.7 tonn Toyota at 200kPa front and 220 rear cold tire pressure is still under 4% on 285/60/18.

So, in short: you can't decrease tire pressure on 245/40/20.

What's very interesting is that just switching to 255/40/20 allows for cold tire pressure of 240-250kPa, a good 10% less pressure.

Also, stock 255/45/19 are inflated 230kPa cold, which is a huge difference.

Just trash the Goodyears and go to summer only Falken Azenis 510 or Michelin Pilot 4. If possible it should be 4 and not 4S as the latter are more sporty.

A/S tires suck.

SilverFox

I removed the OEM 20” rims and purchased OEM 18” rims and Bridgestone Quiet Track tires for my 2017 Reserve model. This helped greatly the excessive road noise but not the HARSH way the Continental takes “sudden impacts” like the transition between when entering or exiting a shopping plaza or when getting on or off a bridge or going over railroad tracks.
This is more of a suspension engineering failure to absorb bumps or sudden impacts.
Lincoln does not put any effort into sound deadening road noise and suspension tuning to eliminate harshness. The MKS was harsh riding and horrible road noise. I traded my MKS for the Continental. Did not think Lincoln would make the same mistake twice but I was wrong they did.
As for the “Comfort” setting...that does nothing for the Da-Dump thumping when driving, it will make it seem like floating.

When calling the Lincoln 800 number they just tell you to go to your dealer and your dealer looks at it and states everything is ok. You would think they would get a Lincoln employee to drive down or fly down and figure something out or make a part to help absorb and stop the harsh thumping....
Also, note how many Continental owners complain or are not satisfied with the ride/ride noise and not one owner or critic brags about the ride.
SUV’s and Pickup trucks take sudden implants much much better than the Continental.
I just need an engineer to come up with something.
I just bought a 2020 Continental Reserve ... and am not pleased with the rims nor the feel of the ride. I am comparing with my 2007 Grand Marquis, which has a much smoother ride. The Grand Marquis has Continental tires ... (don't recall the model).
Are you saying that I should keep the 19" tires that came with the car? I am about to change to a 20" rim and change the tire to Continental DWS 60. Is this a bad idea?

brucelinc

Minneapolis
I just bought a 2020 Continental Reserve ... and am not pleased with the rims nor the feel of the ride. I am comparing with my 2007 Grand Marquis, which has a much smoother ride. The Grand Marquis has Continental tires ... (don't recall the model).
Are you saying that I should keep the 19" tires that came with the car? I am about to change to a 20" rim and change the tire to Continental DWS 60. Is this a bad idea?
If you liked the ride quality of 2007 Mercury, tires you put on the Continental will not matter. The soft floaty suspension tuning of those old Lincolns, Mercurys, Buicks, etc. is a relic of the past. The Continental has a firmer more controlled ride regardless of the tires. I think you will find that the Continental will ride softest with 19 inch Michelins but it will never be as sloppily suspended as the old Merc.

C Krohn

Fort Worth, TX
I had a '97 Grand Marquis. The ride was very comfortable, but too floaty. I now own a '17 MKX and a '13 MKS. The ride on both is more firm, but they handle better. My preference would be for something in between.

bbf2530

Hi SilverFox. If ride comfort matters to you, do not switch from 19" to 20" wheels.

As brucelinc and others in this thread have mentioned, the larger the wheel diameter, the shorter the tire sidewall must be (in order to keep the correct overall diameter). And apples to apples, the shorter the tire sidewall, the firmer/harsher the ride will be.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Treat center

Someone mentioned adding weight to improve the Continental frustrating harsh ride which makes the dash and center console rattle. How much weight and where to put weight?

Ddizzler

Someone mentioned adding weight to improve the Continental frustrating harsh ride which makes the dash and center console rattle. How much weight and where to put weight?
I have friend with a Continental as well. He swears that 110-115 #s in the trunk improves the ride tremendously. Haven't tried yet, but about to try to add weights to the spare tire area to test.

OmegaLincoln

If your center console is rattling, I doubt extra weight is going to help. You might want to have your front end looked at...

Treat center

There are more rattles / snaps / creeks in this car that comes from the poor harsh ride.
What do you all use to add weight?
Ie: gym weights? Sand bag? What?