Poor ride quality - how can it be improved?

Welcome to the busiest full-spectrum Lincoln community online!

Please join us! We'd really love to have you as a member...

Corsart

That's the thing. Ford/Lincoln never really pushed the performance of their engines in the marketing campaigns. I know I surprised more than a few with the raw power of my MKS back in the day. People had no clue it was a dressed up SHO with twin-turbos under the hood. Add the Lincoln interior and forget about it. You had to spend double to get that kind of quality out of a Euro.

I just don't buy the consumer doesn't want a sedan these days. I'd say just the opposite.
You want a sedan, and I appreciate them and wish they were available, but the sales numbers don't lie. People want SUVs. And, they'll, sacrifice performance and comfort to get one. Ford is chasing short term fads at the expense of the small number of clients who really do like and want sedans. Likewise, their marketing across the board has always been fuzzy..not just Lincoln, but Ford as well. They can make great product that is truly competitive, but if they cannot get that message out, it costs them sales and market share. I get out of my Corsair and say all they need to do is get this into a prospective buyer's hands and they'd buy it, its that good. The harried mother who retreats to her Lincoln after opening the front door to the house is catchy and cute..here I am recalling it...but it doesn't really define the qualities and characteristics that make it "the Sanctuary".

OmegaLincoln

You want a sedan, and I appreciate them and wish they were available, but the sales numbers don't lie. People want SUVs. And, they'll, sacrifice performance and comfort to get one. Ford is chasing short term fads at the expense of the small number of clients who really do like and want sedans. Likewise, their marketing across the board has always been fuzzy..not just Lincoln, but Ford as well. They can make great product that is truly competitive, but if they cannot get that message out, it costs them sales and market share. I get out of my Corsair and say all they need to do is get this into a prospective buyer's hands and they'd buy it, its that good. The harried mother who retreats to her Lincoln after opening the front door to the house is catchy and cute..here I am recalling it...but it doesn't really define the qualities and characteristics that make it "the Sanctuary".

I believe they weren't selling well. Just don't believe the excuse that was given. Nah. With steady gas prices, performance is the name of the game right now. Try getting a discount on the new Explorer ST (400hp) and you'll see what I mean. Several Asian brands are still playing catchup to increase hp in their lineup as well.

Still can't believe they didn't offer a 400hp option in this years Nautilus. --It's almost like they don't want it to be too successful. And I'm told it is there best selling model. Don't get me wrong. It's a fun SUV to drive with 335hp. But 400hp would be the icing on the cake. ;)

Last edited:

MarkX

Ford is chasing short term fads at the expense of the small number of clients who really do like and want sedans.
.... and has its "eye" on electric, like many others. They are pissed about Tesla having a greater market value than themselves and they should be. It would not surprise me to see Ford return to the four-door segment later in the decade but in an all-electric or near all-electric mode. Modern electric cars are easier to build and maintain than those with highly complex gas end-of-era engines like ours.

AdmiralTraeger

I had this huge thing wrote. I had this huge thing wrote. But I had to backspace it. It was just too much. The short of it is, Lincoln is not a luxury vehicle. You wish it was, but it is not. You think it is. But it is not. What you're looking for, is a Lexus.

OmegaLincoln

I had this huge thing wrote. I had this huge thing wrote. But I had to backspace it. It was just too much. The short of it is, Lincoln is not a luxury vehicle. You wish it was, but it is not. You think it is. But it is not. What you're looking for, is a Lexus.

HA. That's a good one. Most overrated brand IMO. But would love to hear your side of the story to compare notes. ;)

Corsart

I believe they weren't selling well. Just don't believe the excuse that was given. Nah. With steady gas prices, performance is the name of the game right now. Try getting a discount on the new Explorer ST (400hp) and you'll see what I mean. Several Asian brands are still playing catchup to increase hp in their lineup as well.

Still can't believe they didn't offer a 400hp option in this years Nautilus. --It's almost like they don't want it to be too successful. And I'm told it is there best selling model. Don't get me wrong. It's a fun SUV to drive with 335hp. But 400hp would be the icing on the cake. ;)

Corsart

Here we disagree. I think there's a legit limit on HP in a truck. No matter what you do to the suspension, there's no fighting basic physics. SUV's are too tall and too tippy, and riding on 20" all season tires, 400hp is more a marketing gimmick then actually useful. That market should be owned by cars...and that would be the perfect marketing scheme to keep folks interested in them. When I see Porsche or Maserati SUV's I laugh and think how the manufacturer sold their soul, and feel embarrassed for the owners who so proudly expose their own narcissism and ignorance.

I think the Naut and Avi are best served being hushed, refined polished performers that offer authentic luxury that appeals to those who value same and not wannabe racers. So, more Audi and less BMW, but more American. More Lexus, but without the confused, manufactured sense of "Luxury" that is endemically alien to the Asian manufacturers.

Corsart

I'm now really wondering what it was that never got here that lead to that last proclamation.

We all have our definition of luxury, but let's face it: The only thing that made Toyota the powerhouse it is results from the vaunted and largely mythical reputation they've generously accrued over time of it being "Reliable". That may have been true in the "Malaise era" of the '70's and '80's, but that gap has shrunk by every measure. Besides, luxury is not something that can be defined solely by marketing teams or ad agencies. You have to have a real feel for it. Insecurely reaching back to the founding symbol of a loom (!)......in some caricature, no less... to adorn the flagship of your company is not only confirmation, but embarrassingly so as well.

Corsart

.... and has its "eye" on electric, like many others. They are pissed about Tesla having a greater market value than themselves and they should be. It would not surprise me to see Ford return to the four-door segment later in the decade but in an all-electric or near all-electric mode. Modern electric cars are easier to build and maintain than those with highly complex gas end-of-era engines like ours.
Agreed! I don't think "Pissed" is part of it, though...just an accurate sense of where the market will inevitably find itself, if..and this is a big one...they can increase range and speed of recharge. Until then, Tesla is both a social statement and the guinea pig.

OmegaLincoln

Here we disagree. I think there's a legit limit on HP in a truck. No matter what you do to the suspension, there's no fighting basic physics. SUV's are too tall and too tippy, and riding on 20" all season tires, 400hp is more a marketing gimmick then actually useful. That market should be owned by cars...and that would be the perfect marketing scheme to keep folks interested in them. When I see Porsche or Maserati SUV's I laugh and think how the manufacturer sold their soul, and feel embarrassed for the owners who so proudly expose their own narcissism and ignorance.

I think the Naut and Avi are best served being hushed, refined polished performers that offer authentic luxury that appeals to those who value same and not wannabe racers. So, more Audi and less BMW, but more American. More Lexus, but without the confused, manufactured sense of "Luxury" that is endemically alien to the Asian manufacturers.
My nautilus doesn't drive like an SUV. It drives more like a big car. If hp is a gimmick then Lincoln is all in with their 500hp Aviator. One of the few times if ever, I've seen Lincoln advertise hp.

Corsart

My nautilus doesn't drive like an SUV. It drives more like a big car. If hp is a gimmick then Lincoln is all in with their 500hp Aviator. One of the few times if ever, I've seen Lincoln advertise hp.
My Corsair doesn't drive like one, either, which is why I bought it. I cannot imagine 500hp on a body on frame SUV. It sounds sexy, but the chassis cannot possibly manage all that hp.

Lincoln needs to decide where it wants to be. I'm not against 500hp, but I think they're jumping into a very crowded field dominated by The Germans and their loyalists. I think being a big fish in a small pond ultimately serves them better, with the occasional halo "M" or "AMG" car as a stand out, stand alone model.

OmegaLincoln

My Corsair doesn't drive like one, either, which is why I bought it. I cannot imagine 500hp on a body on frame SUV. It sounds sexy, but the chassis cannot possibly manage all that hp.

Lincoln needs to decide where it wants to be. I'm not against 500hp, but I think they're jumping into a very crowded field dominated by The Germans and their loyalists. I think being a big fish in a small pond ultimately serves them better, with the occasional halo "M" or "AMG" car as a stand out, stand alone model.

Ours are crossovers. So is the Porsche which has all kinds of engine options. If Ford/Lincoln opened up their engine lineup to the Corsair/Nautilus they would become immediate contenders to the Porsche lineup for a lot less money.

AMG and Porsche make me think of special mechanics and expensive repair bills. :)

Corsart

Ours are crossovers. So is the Porsche which has all kinds of engine options. If Ford/Lincoln opened up their engine lineup to the Corsair/Nautilus they would become immediate contenders to the Porsche lineup for a lot less money.

AMG and Porsche make me think of special mechanics and expensive repair bills. :)
I drove the Macan, and it felt more CUV then Porsche. If anything, it felt most like the VW it is, with a juicy engine and a price to match.

I like power as much as the next one, but balance is important, too. Stuffing high hp car engines in tall CUV's with all season rubber is just a bad mix. You want a Porsche with all that power, they can accommodate that with their proper sportscars.

Treat center

someone stated""""" That's Lincoln's secret sauce: Good performance and good comfort. Along with really nice, elegant style. Why those things became inverse to each other is beyond me.""""

Well said....Lost is the LUXURY and Luxury RIDE !!!!!
Websters Dictionary definition of LUXURY is ...a condition of abundance or great ease and comfort......

One might say that the Continental is a PREMIUM car not a LUXURY car. It has premium design, paint and amenities however it is not a luxury car. It does have a condition of abundance or great ease and comfort.

However... I thought and expected luxury from Lincoln. I am very bummed for what I paid

Treat center

someone stated""""" That's Lincoln's secret sauce: Good performance and good comfort. Along with really nice, elegant style. Why those things became inverse to each other is beyond me.""""

Websters Dictionary definition of LUXURY is ...a condition of abundance or great ease and comfort......

One might say that the Continental is a PREMIUM car not a LUXURY car. It has premium design, paint and amenities however it is not a luxury car. It does have a condition of abundance or great ease and comfort.

However... I thought and expected luxury from Lincoln. I am very bummed for what I paid

Todor

Sofia-Bulgaria

How are you bummed?
Which alternative and equal market offering would have given you better value for money?
And, well, what did you actually buy?! Because people with 3.0 reserves don't exactly understand what you are talking about.

Corsart

How are you bummed?
Which alternative and equal market offering would have given you better value for money?
And, well, what did you actually buy?! Because people with 3.0 reserves don't exactly understand what you are talking about.
The "Secret sauce" isn't the issue, it's how different palates experience that taste. There are actually those out there who like anchovies, for instance. That one poster finds it "Luxurious" is meaningless without some explanation.

I sometimes watch the YouTube vids of self proclaimed, self satisfied know it alls and are amazed at their comments and conclusions, and the absolute confidence they have in their conclusions and the accuracy of them for everyone else. I suppose everyone is entitled to those, but the only one that matters should be the actual owner.

Corsart

The "Secret sauce" isn't the issue, it's how different palates experience that taste. There are actually those out there who like anchovies, for instance. That one poster finds a car not "Luxurious" is meaningless without some explanation.

I sometimes watch the YouTube vids of self proclaimed, self satisfied know it alls and are amazed at their comments and conclusions, and the absolute confidence they have in those conclusions and the accuracy of them for everyone else. I suppose everyone is entitled to those, but the only one that matters should be the actual owner.

OmegaLincoln

People have different taste that's for sure. I've only bought one car that really disappointed me and it was a Lexus. I know a lot of people really like them. But I found everything about the car off. It happens. I sold the car in less than a year. Took a beating. But it was better than driving around all bitter....and the best part. My next car was a 2013 MKS.