Perfect Position Seat comfort

obed96

We just purchased our 2020 Aviator reserve ll with perfect position seats. I am having a heck of a time getting them adjusted properly. We just got done driving 300 miles on a road trip and my back is hurting right where the seam is located between The upper and lower cushion. My wife had the same issue but not as bad as me.

I have searched high and low, and nobody seems to say anything bad about these seats. Am I crazy?

Any thoughts on how to adjust? I have gone every which way, and have not found the “perfect position”.

Longdriver

Houston TX
I recently bought a 2020 CPO Aviator. Was expecting great things from these seats. We took a 250 mile road trip today and both of us agree these are among the worst seats ever installed in a car. They would be fine in a jet fighter or formula 1 car. They cup you firmly and prevent you from sliding around, but after a few hours on the road, I want to wiggle around a bit. The bottom cushion is also so firm that unless I have the massage turned on, my butt starts to ache after about 20-30 minutes. I sure hope I can find some resolution to this since I bought this car primarily for long road trips.
Dane
Houston

obed96

I recently bought a 2020 CPO Aviator. Was expecting great things from these seats. We took a 250 mile road trip today and both of us agree these are among the worst seats ever installed in a car. They would be fine in a jet fighter or formula 1 car. They cup you firmly and prevent you from sliding around, but after a few hours on the road, I want to wiggle around a bit. The bottom cushion is also so firm that unless I have the massage turned on, my butt starts to ache after about 20-30 minutes. I sure hope I can find some resolution to this since I bought this car primarily for long road trips.
Dane
Houston
I am glad to hear that I am not insane! I’ve had my aviator in the shop this week and received a Corsair (with regular seats) as a loaner. The seats are significantly better. I just don’t understand why Lincoln would create a seat that is so different than regular seats that getting the “perfect position” is nearly impossible.

I have had a VW atlas, Ford Explorer, Jaguar F-Pace, Hyundai Kona, and a Lincoln MKC. These cars run the gamut in price and features, and I never noticed seat discomfort in any of them.

For the life of me, I cannot figure out why Lincoln would make the ergonomics so different in this vehicle. They need to give greater range of motion so that the bottom and side bolsters can be adjusted to a more neutral (flat) position.

When I am driving hours in the car, I don’t want to feel like I am in the seat of a fighter jet. People don’t buy Lincoln’s to run on the race track. I say this as a 38 year old 6’ tall male with a larger build. I could lose a few pounds, but am not severely overweight.

oldcarnut

I like a more laid back driving position and I found that tilting the seat bottom so the front is higher than the back helps a lot. We haven't done a long trip yet but for sure the seat bottom is quite firm. I think maybe the thigh extensions will help too. I wonder too if increasing the side bolster firmness might help take some of that weight off the butt???? Funny I didn't notice the firmness in the Navigator we rented a couple years ago...

oldcarnut

We just purchased our 2020 Aviator reserve ll with perfect position seats. I am having a heck of a time getting them adjusted properly. We just got done driving 300 miles on a road trip and my back is hurting right where the seam is located between The upper and lower cushion. My wife had the same issue but not as bad as me.

I have searched high and low, and nobody seems to say anything bad about these seats. Am I crazy?

Any thoughts on how to adjust? I have gone every which way, and have not found the “perfect position”.
I adjusted the lumbar so you can just feel a push from it. That seems to help us a lot...

obed96

I like a more laid back driving position and I found that tilting the seat bottom so the front is higher than the back helps a lot. We haven't done a long trip yet but for sure the seat bottom is quite firm. I think maybe the thigh extensions will help too. I wonder too if increasing the side bolster firmness might help take some of that weight off the butt???? Funny I didn't notice the firmness in the Navigator we rented a couple years ago...
I think that the issue for me is that the side and bottom bolsters come up from a “flat” position creating a ”u” shape. I think that this pressure is what is causing the issue. If there was a way to flatten them more, I think it would solve my issue.

Regarding the Navigator, there was someone who measured both, and the Navigator seats are a couple of inches wider. In my case, this would make all of the difference in the world.

obed96

I adjusted the lumbar so you can just feel a push from it. That seems to help us a lot...
I have tried a lot of different adjustments, but perhaps I move all of them to the max position? This might push me forward enough to be seated at the widest part of the side bolsters. With the thigh support, it may just work...

G-633163

I sat in a Corsair at the auto show and the seats were a deal-breaker. I'm just under 6 feet and and do not have a big rear, and the aggressive side bolsters combined with narrow seat meant the bolsters were cutting into my thighs.

oldcarnut

I think that the issue for me is that the side and bottom bolsters come up from a “flat” position creating a ”u” shape. I think that this pressure is what is causing the issue. If there was a way to flatten them more, I think it would solve my issue.

Regarding the Navigator, there was someone who measured both, and the Navigator seats are a couple of inches wider. In my case, this would make all of the difference in the world.
I'm afraid you're right. Unfortunately I can't fit the Navigator into my garage...:( and the Aviator is prettier!

oldcarnut

I sat in a Corsair at the auto show and the seats were a deal-breaker. I'm just under 6 feet and and do not have a big rear, and the aggressive side bolsters combined with narrow seat meant the bolsters were cutting into my thighs.
Sadly I didn't feel it until a couple hours had passed.

LincolnFanFl

I like a more laid back driving position and I found that tilting the seat bottom so the front is higher than the back helps a lot.
THIS!

This also changes the position where your back is resting and by tilting the bottom that way, my back is not feeling the seam at all. Also, if you keep the bottom flat, at a size of 6', there is no way you are getting sufficient support on your upper thighs. I also have the right side extended but not the left. The more support you get on the thighs, the less pressure you have on the butt. With a flat seat, your entire weight will be on the butt alone AND you will be feeling the seam.

You simply have to invest the time and play around with this seats. This can't be done within 10 minutes, within an hour, within a day or within a week. It's a learning process but I can tell that the more time I spend in the vehicle and keep on adjusting, the better it gets.

Last edited: