Panoramic Roof Rattles In Cold Weather

kkriskal

I have a 2019 Continental with Panoramic roof, it is great but it rattles in real cold weather and becomes absolutely fine once it is in the sun for a little while or if the temperature increases or it can still be cold outside but if the car is in the sun for some time, then everything becomes fine, no noise at all. Like I leave for work early morning, it rattles but after some time in the sun, it is all normal again.

I researched a lot and found thousands of similar problems in other brands but nothing related to Continental. They all say it is normal because the body flexes and the glass is not part of the structure so the seals and stuff become stiff in cold weather and it is bound to happen. The only way to eliminate it is use some silicon spray of something like that to reduce the noise.

Just wanted to know if any of you with a Continental Panoramic roof have experienced it and if yes, then was anything else done to fix it.

bbf2530

I have a 2019 Continental with Panoramic roof, it is great but it rattles in real cold weather and becomes absolutely fine once it is in the sun for a little while or if the temperature increases or it can still be cold outside but if the car is in the sun for some time, then everything becomes fine, no noise at all. Like I leave for work early morning, it rattles but after some time in the sun, it is all normal again.

I researched a lot and found thousands of similar problems in other brands but nothing related to Continental. They all say it is normal because the body flexes and the glass is not part of the structure so the seals and stuff become stiff in cold weather and it is bound to happen. The only way to eliminate it is use some silicon spray of something like that to reduce the noise.

Just wanted to know if any of you with a Continental Panoramic roof have experienced it and if yes, then was anything else done to fix it.
Hi kkriskal. Make an appointment to have it properly diagnosed and corrected. Do it while the weather is cold so you can replicate the issue for the Tech.

And do not use a silicone spray. Pick up a good tube of silicone lubricant gel (lubricant...not sealant) to use for your seals. Moonroof, door, window etc..

Keep us updated and good luck.

kkriskal

Ok, update on this, left early for work and drove around turns and stuff. Finally figured out what the problem is, the back portion of the opening glass (passenger side) is actually hitting the side metal (pillar?, don't know what to call it). I checked the other side and there is a gap. I pressed on the glass (with the roof closed) and you can hear the exact same noise inside. So, when cold, it is rubbing on the body of the car while turning or bumps etc. I am sure the dealer can only replicate it if I leave it overnight with them because even if it is cold, I just have to drive it a little in the sun and the noise goes away. But you can visibly see that there is an alignment issue because the rear portion of the opening roof is not aligned to the front of the rear fixed roof.

I am trying to get hold of the service supervisor I work with but no answer, left a few voicemails, still waiting for him to call me back so can make an appointment. Will keep you all updated.

kkriskal

Update - Finally got the appointment for Wednesday (October 30th), will keep you update once it is back from the dealership.

kkriskal

Update - I took the vehicle in today as per my appointment and they have realigned the roof glass. It looks good, does Not hit the body of the car anymore. But could Not test the rattle since it has been sunny the whole day and my car was parked at the office the remainder of the day. I will test it tomorrow morning when I take it out of the garage since it is supposed to be really cold tomorrow.

kkriskal

Update - Checked today morning, that particular rattle is GONE. However, now there is a little extra gap in the front portion of the sunroof. I can actually see the metal inside through the rubber seal (a very small gap and I can see the shine through that which I am assuming is the metal portion that drains the water). So to make sure there is no water leak, I ran it through the high pressure car wash twice. This car was has multiple cycles of high pressure water and I did Not see any leaks. Does anyone thing it might leak in the rain? I don't want to go back and try to realign it since the rattle is now gone.

bbf2530

Update - Checked today morning, that particular rattle is GONE. However, now there is a little extra gap in the front portion of the sunroof. I can actually see the metal inside through the rubber seal (a very small gap and I can see the shine through that which I am assuming is the metal portion that drains the water). So to make sure there is no water leak, I ran it through the high pressure car wash twice. This car was has multiple cycles of high pressure water and I did Not see any leaks. Does anyone thing it might leak in the rain? I don't want to go back and try to realign it since the rattle is now gone.
Hi kkriskal. Generally speaking, it won't leak in the rain if it does not leak in a high pressure car wash. That being said, check it closely after the next few heavy rains.

Keep us updated and good luck.

kkriskal

Thanks bbf2530, I am going near the dealer for some other work, will just go to the dealer and have the service advisor take a look so it will be that I have officially reported it to Lincoln, just in case. I will let you know what he says.

kkriskal

I went in to the service center today and they agreed they had to realign it. They did and it now looks way better with no visible gaps. There is still a misalignment so they said, if it leaks or something, then the only possibility is that the glass is cut improperly because the front is always aligned and only the back portion of the glass is Not. I will test it over the next few weeks. So far so good, no rattles and no visible gaps but don't know about the leak yet, will run it through the car wash a few times and see how it goes.

jhartz

Virginia Beach, VA
it is truly aggravating when you buy a new car (especially one considered luxury) and have a warranty issue. You need to have the dealer order a new glass and install it for free . . . there is no excuse for this.

It would be interesting to know where you are located.

kkriskal

Hi Jhartz, thank you for your feedback, they are willing to order the new glass if it leaks. And the glass being cut incorrectly is just an assumption by the technician. So I am going to test it the next week and wash it several times in high pressure car wash and see if anything leaks. And also, now everything looks ok from the outside so they want some reason that it has a problem because they spent lot of hours patiently aligning it.

Browning2020

Zhartz what is the name, city, and state that your dealer is located? I may need to drive my 2019 Continental there! None of my Lincoln dealers in OH have been able to fix my moonroof/headliner rattle...😡