Outside door handle switches

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
Took my car into the dealer to get the left rear door handle switch repaired since it would not open the door. Inside latch did open the door. Ford says that if one outside door handle latch fails then all 4 handles need to be replaced. Parts ordered for overnight delivery so I should get an explanation and my car back tomorrow.

Loaner is nice MKC.

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
There is a complication in the replacement of the exterior door handles. The top part is chrome that matches the trim piece but the handle has a lower part that is body coloured on the car. The replacement handles have a black lower section that needs to be painted.

So the 4 new door handles are off to my dealer's body shop to be painted. So my handles will be replaced when painted which is estimated at a week.

I did not get a chance to ask about opening the fuse box under dash, so that will be questioned when I take it back to finish the install of handles.

It is so nice to get my car back. While the MKC is nice the ride is very rough on our winter potholed roads compared to the Continental which makes the bad roads disappear. The electronic door latches are so nice after spending 2 days without them. Leaving the key fob in my pocket and opening the doors is just magic compared to hauling it out to lock and unlock the doors.

jhartz

Agree all. Just had mine serviced: the valet brought a MkZ. Nice car, great handling, plenty of power. But you get used to not slamming the doors, locking from the icon on the B pillar, and the better ride from the longer wheel base.

Fasin8

Chicago
Is this a common issue on the new Continentals? Mine on the driver side stop working. Then next day started working. It did rain all day on the day it didn't work too. Thanks!

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
My salesman said there were several complaints on the door handle switches not working. One of my rear door outside handle switches failed to work, then the other side. After a week one of the rear door switches worked again for a short time then stopped working.

I am still waiting on the bodyshop to paint the underside of the 4 handles.

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
Checked today on the door handles; still not painted. Apparently the bodyshop says it is very difficult to paint the black underparts to body colour. Seeking guidance from Ford.

3 weeks and counting to paint 4 door handles is disappointing.

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
If you look at the door handle at the latch and then look below the chrome of the handle you will see a rounded piece that is body coloured. That is part of what needs to be painted. It is black from the factory and I expect there are more complex parts under there too.

I have not seen the replacement parts so it is hard to tell what the effect would be if just the rounded part (easily visible) were painted and the rest left black.

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
Town is your car part of this recall?

I don't know, never heard of the recall. When my dealer brought my failed latch up with Lincoln for consideration. Lincoln said if one handle switch fails replace all 4 handles. I will ask my dealer when they replace them.

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
Dealer called today suggesting that painting the door handles with 3 coats of paint will have issues. They talked to Lincoln again several times and the painting process seems ridiculously complicated and no resolution. I am going to see them on Monday 25 Feb to discuss the problem and options including leaving the lower part of handles black! My car is white.

I have looked at the handles several times and the only body coloured part appears easy to paint. I don't currently see where the complication is. The time this is taking to get fixed so that I can use the rear doors is ridiculous. I think I will cover the painted part of the handles with black electricians tape to get an idea of just how ugly this is going to look.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

HTML