• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "1998 Town Car" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 1998 Town Car" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

only have 1 key for my 1998 town car

kingoftoys

Spokane, Wa.
Hello, I just purchased a 1998 Lincoln Town Car and it only has 1 key. I saw I need two keys to program a 3rd key or I have to go to the dealer. Can I pick up a new blank key and avoid the dealer. Thank you, Howard

bigsid99

I went to Ace hardware with the one key I had (with chip) and had another key cut and programmed for 59.95. About middle of September 2019.

bbf2530

Hello, I just purchased a 1998 Lincoln Town Car and it only has 1 key. I saw I need two keys to program a 3rd key or I have to go to the dealer. Can I pick up a new blank key and avoid the dealer. Thank you, Howard
Hi kingoftoys. This is obviously a late reply, but here goes: Not 100% sure what you mean by a "blank key". If you mean an old 80's style, metal, non-antitheft chipped key, then no, you can not use that as a second key for self-programming purposes. A non-chipped key does not count as a second key for the purpose of self programming a third key.

So...You need 2 "chipped", already programmed keys to be able to program a third or fourth key yourself.
You can have a second, antitheft chipped key programmed by a Lincoln/Ford Dealership or a qualified locksmith, Ace Hardware etc. Then once you have two programmed keys, you can self program a third or subsequent keys yourself, following the instructions in your Owners Manual.

Hope that helps, if haven't already taken cars of the problem after this amount of time. Good luck.

RIBoater

Has anyone tried programming a third key themselves from an original and using a cloned second key? I think If you take a single key to ACE or buy theirs, and have them make a new key, I believe it is "cloning" the first key. So it may not work for programming a third key on your own. I'm not sure the car will recognize it as a second key. Just the same key twice. Hope I'm wrong actually. I purchased a key off ebay with the fob buttons on the key itself. ACE cut them for me but they said they can't program them because they aren't "Duracell" branded keys. Guy told me it's proprietary software or some BS. But then I realized they won't fit into the ignition anyway. The head is too big for the key slot. If you can program a third key from an original and an ACE clone, I'd modify the ignition to accept the larger key.

bbf2530

Has anyone tried programming a third key themselves from an original and using a cloned second key? I think If you take a single key to ACE or buy theirs, and have them make a new key, I believe it is "cloning" the first key. So it may not work for programming a third key on your own. I'm not sure the car will recognize it as a second key. Just the same key twice. Hope I'm wrong actually. I purchased a key off ebay with the fob buttons on the key itself. ACE cut them for me but they said they can't program them because they aren't "Duracell" branded keys. Guy told me it's proprietary software or some BS. But then I realized they won't fit into the ignition anyway. The head is too big for the key slot. If you can program a third key from an original and an ACE clone, I'd modify the ignition to accept the larger key.
Hi RIBoater. You need two separately programmed keys to be able to program a third key on your own.

The common definition of a "cloned key", and what I understand to be a "cloned key", is not a second programmed key. It would also defeat the entire anti-theft purpose of needing two programmed keys to program a third or more.

And as an FYI: The Ford software needed to properly program a key is proprietary software.

Hope this information helps and good luck.

W4UWC

It's my belief that the Forscan software can program a 2nd or third or whatever key with just 1 original key. At least that's my plan to use it for key programming. FYI... I'm doing this on a 2006. Not sure if the Forscan route qualifies as a second programmed key or a clone. If I can get a second key to work then I'll try the factory procedure for the third key and we'll see.

G-916516

I also read forscan can do that. I’m afraid of messing up something up and losing the programming g of the original key.

RIBoater

please let us know how this goes. especially using forscan to program a key. I'm new to forscan. the only thing i've done is turn on my DRL's. and it's buggy. Lights are doing weird stuff. So i'm afraid of losing the programming on my one good key.

W4UWC

please let us know how this goes. especially using forscan to program a key. I'm new to forscan. the only thing i've done is turn on my DRL's. and it's buggy. Lights are doing weird stuff. So i'm afraid of losing the programming on my one good key.
Good news and bad news...

I took the 2 uncut keys I got off Amazon to Lowe's. They cut them both for free. The guy then said he could program them. I was reluctant because I wanted to use Forscan and was afraid he may mess up the chip. He said it was free so I said OK. His transponder clone machine tried but he said something was wrong with the chip in the key.

I went home and unfortunately one key didn't work mechanically. It wasn't cut correctly so it was out. The other key worked but obviously wouldn't start the car so I used Forscan and followed its instructions for programming an ignition key. It took awhile for it to do it's thing but it worked perfectly. So Forscan is now 2-0 in what I needed which are key programming and reading the door keypad code.

I can't answer what happens with a third key since the one I have is bad. I will buy another from Amazon or eBay and try this again. Worst case the key won't start the car but as long as it'd cut right then I can at least tape it under the car and use it to unlock the door if the keys are locked inside.

HTML