On the fence for a 2022 Aviator

Welcome to the busiest full-spectrum Lincoln community online!

Please join us! We'd really love to have you as a member...

hammerdown2day

Sync 4's benefits over Sync 3:
1. larger screen
2. over the air update
3. faster processor
4. split screen capability
5. natural voice commands
6, wireless carplay
7.much better graphics in navigation
Lord knows when the Aviator will get Sync 4 unfortunately...

wheeling

The aviator has been on the top of my shopping list for over a year and I really love it. The early release of 2022 Aviator made me really excited and thinking it must be Sync 4 upgrade. To my dismay, no Sync 4. The lack of Sync 4 and the initial quality and durability issues around Aviator make me really hesitate to take the plunge. It is not on the top of my list anymore.

TicoJohnson

There seems to be a lot of negative comments about the Aviator on this forum. I've routinely joined forums for cars I am considering and realize that all too often, people use the forum to tell of only the horror stories and you don't hear as much from those who are thrilled with their decision! I have a 2018 Audi Q7 coming off lease this fall and since I am considering the Aviator, I joined this group and read it regularly to learn as much as I can. From these comments along with many others, it seems that maybe the Aviator still isn't ready for prime time!?!!?

Please convince me that I should keep the Aviator on my "short list". I really like what I see, but don't want to make a mistake. My current Audi is probably the best auto I've EVER had, but I'd love to be able to buy an American car with at least close to the quality of the Audi.
I don’t care for Q7 or Q8 compared to Aviator. I have found many ‘21 Aviator friends that have had no problems. 20 was a bad year for the model.

Cleanerguy

So i had ordered a 2021 Reserve in March and i was eventually told i would have to reorder a 2022. I joined the Lincoln forums right after i had ordered originally and after reading so many horror stories about the issues with the Aviator i am not sure if i really want to order one now. We have driven a couple and really enjoyed them, but i just don't know if its worth the risk of spending 85k and getting nothing but a headache. Maybe it would be better to wait for a couple more years to see if Lincoln can get the quality under control?
I would honestly wait. I have a 2021 and the quality is just not there yet. It’s a awesome vehicle but they need to sort out all the little issues.

masterdrago

We have had no real problems with sync 3 in our 2021. As for carplay, I had a car load of wild women a couple weeks back and the gal in the rear seat had no issues connecting her Iphone 10 to the audio and play her playlist wirelessly. The only benefit I see with 4 is more horsepower and possibly better nav graphics.

TicoJohnson

We have had no real problems with sync 3 in our 2021. As for carplay, I had a car load of wild women a couple weeks back and the gal in the rear seat had no issues connecting her Iphone 10 to the audio and play her playlist wirelessly. The only benefit I see with 4 is more horsepower and possibly better nav graphics.
This helps a lot! Thank you

bbf2530

This helps a lot! Thank you

Hi Tico. In addition to the usual graphics/user interface improvements etc., what many will likely consider to be the greatest benefit of SYNC 4 will be the ability to utilize "Over the Air" updates to the vehicle systems themselves.

That will mean not just updates to SYNC (as currently limited to), but also updates to virtually all vehicle systems (i.e. engine management system updates, TCM updates, etc. etc. So many things, which currently take a Dealer visit, will be able to be updated "Over the Air" with no Dealer intervention.

And that is "Over the Air" updates, not limited to updates via connection to a WiFi network, as SYNC 3 versions are currently limited to.

Please don't misunderstand what I am stating, SYNC 3/3.4 is a good infotainment system and I like it very much in my car. However, it is mainly an infotainment system. SYNC 4 is a new generation system that will integrate virtually the entire vehicle.

Good luck.

Last edited:

TicoJohnson

Hi Tico. In addition to the usual graphics/user interface improvements etc., what many will likely consider to be the greatest benefit of SYNC 4 wil be the ability to utilize "Over the Air" updates to the vehicle systems themselves.

That will mean not just updates to SYNC (as currently limited to), but also updates to virtually all vehicle systems (i.e. engine management system updates, TCM updates, etc. etc. So things that currently take a Dealer visit will be able to be updated "Over the Air" with no Dealer intervention.

And that is "Over the Air" updates, not limited to updates via connection to a WiFi network, as SYNC 3 versions are currently limited to.

Please don't misunderstand what I am stating, SYNC 3/3.4 is a good infotainment system and I like it very much in my car. However, it is mainly an infotainment system. SYNC 4 is a new generation system that will integrate virtually the entire vehicle.

Good luck.
Thanks a million. This is extremely helpful in decision making. Thanks for the time.

theotherdave

We had to downsize due to a move, and planned to trade in our Ford Raptor on an Explorer ST. However they couldn't find an ST that matched our requirements list anywhere. So we "Settled" for an Aviator that was on the lot. We got a Grand Touring (hybrid) version. Ok, we've only owned it for a week, but so far we're VERY happy with it. lots of cargo room (y'know, the move...) and goes like a bat outta hell. It's also like sitting in the lap of luxury, to drive. Can't wait to go on a long trip with it. No problems so far.

died4me

We had to downsize due to a move, and planned to trade in our Ford Raptor on an Explorer ST. However they couldn't find an ST that matched our requirements list anywhere. So we "Settled" for an Aviator that was on the lot. We got a Grand Touring (hybrid) version. Ok, we've only owned it for a week, but so far we're VERY happy with it. lots of cargo room (y'know, the move...) and goes like a bat outta hell. It's also like sitting in the lap of luxury, to drive. Can't wait to go on a long trip with it. No problems so far.
I also have a GT. I love it~ I have never imagined that I would love the EV mode this much. So, I am now leaning toward getting a Rivian R1S for my next vehicle next year.

Cleanerguy

This is an updated review. My 2021 Aviator is currently in the shop for 15 days as of today. The vehicle has around 1600 miles on the odometer. This is a 74k vehicle, not the absolute top of the line, but close. The problems:
1. Rattle in passenger head rest
2. Factory paint blob on rear quarter panel
3. Rattle in drivers door
4. Faulty digital fuel gauge.
I went to pick the car up today, after 15 days in the shop, and since it had half a tank of gas I went to the gas station. The car was shut off and the tank was filled. When I restarted the car the gauge still reads half a tank. This is the same issue that it was just in the shop to fix. I took a video before and after to show the dealer, fearing the problem wasn't fixed. I drove back to the dealer and showed them the gas gauge. They shut the car off and re-started it and now it reads 3/4 tank, still not full, which it is. Oh and on the way back the satellite radio decided to completely stop working, it worked when I dropped the vehicle off originally. I also took a video of that problem. You can press the satellite button and nothing happens, if you select a satellite preset it is completely dead.
I would absolutely NOT recommend anyone purchase a new Lincoln. I have owned a lot of new vehicles and I have never had this many problems this soon. I will say the people that work at the dealership are really nice, It's hard to blame them as they didn't build the car. They are just left fixing Lincoln's screw ups.

Last edited:

rjabend

Unfortunately, I am developing a similar list to yours and having trouble getting Lincoln support. I have also had a lot of help from the dealer, but they seem to have difficulty getting support from Lincoln. Regretfully, I have to endorse your recommendations.

died4me

This is an updated review. My 2021 Aviator is currently in the shop for 15 days as of today. The vehicle has around 1600 miles on the odometer. This is a 74k vehicle, not the absolute top of the line, but close. The problems:
I went to pick the car up today, after 15 days in the shop, and since it had half a tank of gas I went to the gas station. The car was shut off and the tank was filled. When I restarted the car the gauge still reads half a tank. This is the same issue that it was just in the shop to fix. I took a video before and after to show the dealer, fearing the problem wasn't fixed. I drove back to the dealer and showed them the gas gauge. They shut the car off and re-started it and now it reads 3/4 tank, still not full, which it is. Oh and on the way back the satellite radio decided to completely stop working, it worked when I dropped the vehicle off originally. I also took a video of that problem. You can press the satellite button and nothing happens, if you select a satellite preset it is completely dead.
I would absolutely NOT recommend anyone purchase a new Lincoln. I have owned a lot of new vehicles and I have never had this many problems this soon. I will say the people that work at the dealership are really nice, It's hard to blame them as they didn't build the car. They are just left fixing Lincoln's screw ups.
I am sorry to hear this. It can happen to any of us. If they cannot fix your fuel gauge issue in three times, try to use the lemon law to have Lincoln buy back your car.

wheeling

Unfortunately, I am developing a similar list to yours and having trouble getting Lincoln support. I have also had a lot of help from the dealer, but they seem to have difficulty getting support from Lincoln. Regretfully, I have to endorse your recommendations.
Do you regret buying a Lincoln over the GV80? I'm still debating.

rjabend

Do you regret buying a Lincoln over the GV80? I'm still debating.
I am not knowledgeable enough on the GV80 to give a firm answer, although I did see quite a few design & quality problems posted. I got the 2021 Aviator somewhat based on reports that the 2nd yr in production solved many of the quality problems. I also had a real problem with the Hyundai dealer network quality in my area. The Lincoln dealer in my area seems to be above average. The biggest issue is getting Ford support!

Corsart

The aviator has been on the top of my shopping list for over a year and I really love it. The early release of 2022 Aviator made me really excited and thinking it must be Sync 4 upgrade. To my dismay, no Sync 4. The lack of Sync 4 and the initial quality and durability issues around Aviator make me really hesitate to take the plunge. It is not on the top of my list anymore.
I take a different approach to these things, your mileage may vary.

First, a year is a long time for love to remain unrequited. Have you driven the Aviator , and maybe gone back for a few test drives? Confirm either your initial impressions or subsequent ones, for better or worse. Do you still "Love" it? Do you see any outstanding QC issues? Can you see yourself enjoying the car in a few years, after the initial thrill has subsided, or will it be one of those "What was I thinking?" deals? I didn't cross shop Hyundai, regardless of the quilted seats. They specialize in economy cars, and I do not believe you can create a luxury car aimed at American buyers thru focus groups and blind ambition with a side of entitlement.

Second, technology...unlike design, and especially good design..is not timeless. Actually, quite the opposite, car makers seem to use tech as the "New" planned obsolescence. Waiting for the latest version of synch (or any other gizmo or gadget) is often a fool's errand. Sure, "Over air" updates are convenient, but would I wait to buy a car with one for that reason? Probably not. Or a bigger screen? Ditto. Whatever it is that's installed will sooner or later be obsolete, superseded by something more glamorous and alluring. And until then, what's installed is probably more than adequate. Anyone really tell the micro differences between various versions of closely released Microsoft operating systems? I am sure some can and righteously provide Google links in support, but my world hasn't changed much.

So, maybe look at this from a different perspective . If you need a car, and like one brand or model or the other, and there's not much you can fault based on your own experiences with it, then maybe buy it. If the technology or the supposed "Quality" disappoints, dump it and get something else. But a year is a long time, and asking strangers who already own is only one small piece of it.

Cleanerguy

Update: While waiting for a new display cluster to resolve my fuel gauge fault problem I experienced a new issue. While merging on the highway I lost power and the cluster displayed “4 wheel drive fault service required”. I’m back in a loaner now. My 2021 with 1600 miles is back in the shop.

Attachments

• A752E103-D2A6-4639-9D87-00817D22E587.jpeg
    A752E103-D2A6-4639-9D87-00817D22E587.jpeg
    211.2 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

TicoJohnson

My state says a vehicle out of commission for
Update: While waiting for a new display cluster to resolve my fuel gauge fault problem I experienced a new issue. While merging on the highway I lost power and the cluster displayed “4 wheel drive fault service required”. I’m back in a loaner now. My 2021 with 1900 miles is back in the shop.
depending on number of days in shop (often consecutive) can qualify for lemon law. Example: Minnesota. However, good lemon law lawyers can get the job done. You pay no out of pocket. You get a new car. I’m making it sound too easy, but many don’t know they don’t pay out of pocket for one. Good luck! I’m sorry you have to deal with all of it.

hammerdown2day

So first impression after 24 hours with the 21 Aviator Grand Touring. Absolutely love this vehicle, the ride is phenomenal, We took it over some rough highways we have here and it soaked up the ruts and left us smiling and comfy the entire ride. The seats are so comfortable, I am sure the tweaking process will take a while to get them dialed right in, and the massage...oh my!! The Revel 28 speakers cranked up with ac/dc rockin made me feel 18 again, except this is so much cleaner listening than the old pioneer cassette decks with 6x9 speakers we used to use. The power in this GT is simply amazing, its easy to forget you are in an suv and not a sports car, it has more torque than my 2013 Shelby GT500. After being on the fence for quite a while and eventually deciding to take a risk after all the issues that I have read on here, we are very happy that we did. I have checked and will continue to monitor for the issues that other owners are having, thankfully I have not found anything as of yet. Thanks to all that participate in the forums, there is so much information and opinions to take in, keep up the great dialogue regarding this amazing vehicle.