On the fence for a 2022 Aviator

Welcome to the busiest full-spectrum Lincoln community online!

Please join us! We'd really love to have you as a member...

hammerdown2day

So i had ordered a 2021 Reserve in March and i was eventually told i would have to reorder a 2022. I joined the Lincoln forums right after i had ordered originally and after reading so many horror stories about the issues with the Aviator i am not sure if i really want to order one now. We have driven a couple and really enjoyed them, but i just don't know if its worth the risk of spending 85k and getting nothing but a headache. Maybe it would be better to wait for a couple more years to see if Lincoln can get the quality under control?

rjabend

So i had ordered a 2021 Reserve in March and i was eventually told i would have to reorder a 2022. I joined the Lincoln forums right after i had ordered originally and after reading so many horror stories about the issues with the Aviator i am not sure if i really want to order one now. We have driven a couple and really enjoyed them, but i just don't know if its worth the risk of spending 85k and getting nothing but a headache. Maybe it would be better to wait for a couple more years to see if Lincoln can get the quality under control?
I have a 2021 and haven't had any serious problems yet, although there are several minor issues. From what I have seen on this forum, the 2020s are a lot worse. If I were in your situation knowing what I now know, I would wait 6 mos or so. That is a difficult call and I was in a situation with an Audi Q8 trade-in that, in my opinion, was far worse than the Aviator. If I were to buy an Aviator now, I would spend quite a lot more time checking for flaws before I closed the deal. It is a shame we can't buy a vehicle these days with confidence, but, so far, Ford has done a decent job of providing support. Best of luck in picking up a new vehicle!

hammerdown2day

I have a 2021 and haven't had any serious problems yet, although there are several minor issues. From what I have seen on this forum, the 2020s are a lot worse. If I were in your situation knowing what I now know, I would wait 6 mos or so. That is a difficult call and I was in a situation with an Audi Q8 trade-in that, in my opinion, was far worse than the Aviator. If I were to buy an Aviator now, I would spend quite a lot more time checking for flaws before I closed the deal. It is a shame we can't buy a vehicle these days with confidence, but, so far, Ford has done a decent job of providing support. Best of luck in picking up a new vehicle!
I agree it is a shame that the confidence just isn't there, even on a "luxury" vehicle. After reading that people have had to lemon law their units, or trade a 21 in on a 20 navigator to rid themselves of the headache.

naplesam

There seems to be a lot of negative comments about the Aviator on this forum. I've routinely joined forums for cars I am considering and realize that all too often, people use the forum to tell of only the horror stories and you don't hear as much from those who are thrilled with their decision! I have a 2018 Audi Q7 coming off lease this fall and since I am considering the Aviator, I joined this group and read it regularly to learn as much as I can. From these comments along with many others, it seems that maybe the Aviator still isn't ready for prime time!?!!?

Please convince me that I should keep the Aviator on my "short list". I really like what I see, but don't want to make a mistake. My current Audi is probably the best auto I've EVER had, but I'd love to be able to buy an American car with at least close to the quality of the Audi.

hammerdown2day

There seems to be a lot of negative comments about the Aviator on this forum. I've routinely joined forums for cars I am considering and realize that all too often, people use the forum to tell of only the horror stories and you don't hear as much from those who are thrilled with their decision! I have a 2018 Audi Q7 coming off lease this fall and since I am considering the Aviator, I joined this group and read it regularly to learn as much as I can. From these comments along with many others, it seems that maybe the Aviator still isn't ready for prime time!?!!?

Please convince me that I should keep the Aviator on my "short list". I really like what I see, but don't want to make a mistake. My current Audi is probably the best auto I've EVER had, but I'd love to be able to buy an American car with at least close to the quality of the Audi.
I haven't bought anything other than American and I was hoping to keep it that way with the Aviator.

Black Label

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Burr Ridge, IL

Well, you just described internet message boarding. People seem to typically do what you described. They join a forum to gripe about a vehicle, not to praise it. So, that's what you seem to see around here quite a bit.

I like the technical types of threads. Those threads where people simply complain are either trolls or people who must lead miserable lives overall.

I drove a loaner Aviator last year. Fine vehicle. If I didn't want and love a bigger SUV in the Navigator, I would have no issue with looking seriously at the Aviator.

rjabend

Well, you just described internet message boarding. People seem to typically do what you described. They join a forum to gripe about a vehicle, not to praise it. So, that's what you seem to see around here quite a bit.

I like the technical types of threads. Those threads where people simply complain are either trolls or people who must lead miserable lives overall.

I drove a loaner Aviator last year. Fine vehicle. If I didn't want and love a bigger SUV in the Navigator, I would have no issue with looking seriously at the Aviator.
Griping/Complaints are OK. They can start constructive discussions that may resolve complaints or a path to do so. That said, I prefer posts that are objective and ID the good and bad. The Aviator clearly has its good points and also bad ones.

Black Label

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Burr Ridge, IL
Griping/Complaints are OK. They can start constructive discussions that may resolve complaints or a path to do so. That said, I prefer posts that are objective and ID the good and bad. The Aviator clearly has its good points and also bad ones.
True. I’m referring to gripe threads where the poster never replies. It’s okay to ask if others experience an issue and then a discussion ensues.

Exit32

I ordered a 2022 Aviator when the Unscheduled Order Bank opened in March. Currently, I own a 2020 Explorer Platinum which was built at Ford's Chicago Assembly Plant on June 28, 2019. My early-build Explorer has been virtually trouble-free since delivery.

As you know, the Aviator and Explorer share many components and are assembled in the same factory. My positive experience with the Explorer is the main reason I ordered a 2022 Aviator.

With all the production delays happening these days, I'm expecting a late-summer delivery of the Aviator. But that's OK; my Explorer is still running very well.

G-271455

I ordered a 2022 Aviator when the Unscheduled Order Bank opened in March. Currently, I own a 2020 Explorer Platinum which was built at Ford's Chicago Assembly Plant on June 28, 2019. My early-build Explorer has been virtually trouble-free since delivery.

As you know, the Aviator and Explorer share many components and are assembled in the same factory. My positive experience with the Explorer is the main reason I ordered a 2022 Aviator.

With all the production delays happening these days, I'm expecting a late-summer delivery of the Aviator. But that's OK; my Explorer is still running very well.
Wondering why you wouldn’t wait for Sync 4 to be available on that Aviator?

Exit32

Sync 3 continues to work well for me and my wife, and it does everything we want. There's nothing new in Sync 4 that's so significant it's worth waiting for in my opinion. Plus, as production delays continue, it's possible that Sync 4 could find its way into the 2022 Aviator. Doesn't really matter to me, but it would be a nice surprise.

rjabend

Sync 3 continues to work well for me and my wife, and it does everything we want. There's nothing new in Sync 4 that's so significant it's worth waiting for in my opinion. Plus, as production delays continue, it's possible that Sync 4 could find its way into the 2022 Aviator. Doesn't really matter to me, but it would be a nice surprise.
Concur. I have not determined the leap forward in Sync 4 and I am pleased with Sync 3 performance.

bobclt

isn't the main difference between sync 3 & 4 the connectivity of the iPhone? I thought in sync 3 you need to plug into usb while in sync 4 it connects wirelessly?

hammerdown2day

isn't the main difference between sync 3 & 4 the connectivity of the iPhone? I thought in sync 3 you need to plug into usb while in sync 4 it connects wirelessly?
Isn't that for the Apple car play on sync 3, that it needs to be plugged in..other than that the iphone still connects wirelessly to it...not sure if i am right with that

Black Label

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Burr Ridge, IL
Thanks. Pretty descriptive video. The larger screen would be nice, but I didn't see anything compelling over the latest Sync 3. Of course, the importance of Sync 4 is definitely a matter of personal preference.
I have had Sync issues in my 2020 Navigator that, as I have read, could be linked to the processors in Sync 3 and what is being asked of it in the platform of the Navigator. I assume Sync 4 has faster and more capable processors.

wheeling

Sync 4's benefits over Sync 3:
1. larger screen
2. over the air update
3. faster processor
4. split screen capability
5. natural voice commands
6, wireless carplay
7.much better graphics in navigation