• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "1998 Town Car" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 1998 Town Car" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Oil Pan Gasket Replacement

Pasquale

Has anyone attempted to replace the oil pan gasket? I hear it's a pretty arduous process, but wanted to put some feelers out there and see if it's doable (especially now while I have some free time!)

tunafisher729

I think the OP is referring to the oil pan gasket, not the transmission pan. Obviously the oil pan already has a drain plug. I understand it is a pain in the butt job. Here is a video detailing how you can replace the gasket without fully dropping the pan.

I might also consider another option that many BMW owners try. They cut the gasket and work it around the filler tube and utilize some RTV at the cut point. Similar to the town car BMW oil pans can't be fully dropped because of the transmission crossmember. I know it sounds crazy but many have had leak proof success doing it this way for years. Here's an example:

Pasquale

I think the OP is referring to the oil pan gasket, not the transmission pan. Obviously the oil pan already has a drain plug. I understand it is a pain in the butt job. Here is a video detailing how you can replace the gasket without fully dropping the pan.

I might also consider another option that many BMW owners try. They cut the gasket and work it around the filler tube and utilize some RTV at the cut point. Similar to the town car BMW oil pans can't be fully dropped because of the transmission crossmember. I know it sounds crazy but many have had leak proof success doing it this way for years. Here's an example:
Thank you for sharing!!! Looks pretty daunting... might be worth it though? I wonder how much a mechanic would charge for this........

HTML