No tail lights but brake lights work

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
I think the LCM is in the $400 region and it has to be programmed on install, so keep checking other things first. What about your license plate light and the front parking lights, are they on? The tail light bulb is a 3157K that incorporates tail light and brake light and turning light, (I think mine has two of them per side, one above the other).

Good luck.

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
If the front parking lights are working then the problem is not in your LCM. So the bulbs are the most likely problem, although it could be wiring or connections, let's go with bulbs. The owner's manual refers tail lamp replacement to the dealer. I am sure access is from the trunk, so I will see what I can find.

Good luck.

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
Attached is the procedure to remove the tail lights for lamp replacement on your 1999 Town Car

Good luck.

Attachments

• 1999 Lincoln Town Car tail light bulb replacement.pdf
    22.7 KB · Views: 200

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
Oh, that doesn't sound good. So next step is to check the connections at the LCM for that circuit. Are you having any other lighting problems? I will get the LCM removal procedure and charts for checking pinouts and wiring colours.

Good luck.

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
Your problem may well be with the light switch. Attached are the procedures noted earlier. There must be a test for the light switch, so I will try to find it later.

Good luck.

Attachments

• 1999 Lincoln Town Car Exterior lights electrical diagrams cell 92.pdf
    31.1 KB · Views: 183
  • 1999 Lincoln Town Car LCM electrical diagrams Cell 58.pdf
    40.1 KB · Views: 149
  • 1999 Lincoln Town Car LCM removal.pdf
    27.6 KB · Views: 207

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
Attached is the test procedure for your main light switch. The terminal numbers are shown for each light switch position (Off position is a open circuit between 7 and 3; Park light position is a closed circuit between 7 and 3; Headlamp position is a closed circuit between 7 and 3).

Good luck.

Attachments

• 1999 Lincoln Town Car light switch tests 149-1 & 2.pdf
    32.5 KB · Views: 190

G-369735

I was driving to work tonight & had a driver flashing his lights at me. Seems I have no tail lights but my brake lights are working. Any ideas on how to troubleshoot?

Thanks,
There’s a recall on it call Lincoln to schedule an appointment

G-401272

what year was that recall I am having the same problem with that tail light but not mechanically inclined

04TC

Tampa, FL
I have a lincoln mkx 2008 my brake lights work but the tail lights dont.
You will probably get more relevant answers if you post in the MKX forum instead, the link is:
Lincoln recently changed the name MKX to "Nautilus". Good luck,