No embedded modem saga...

MPforUSMC

I see there are a couple threads where fellow 2019ish MkTs do not have the embedded modem. I am buying a used TCU on eBay and am going to install it once I find the location where it normally goes. With that being said, anyone know if the harness is pre installed and where the actually TCU is suppose to be anchored? I saw some MKX posts where folks have added it after the fact and had success by using FORSCAN to activate so I am hoping to have similar luck. I’ll post an update on this thread should I be successful.

Cherga

PA
Interested in how the process goes for you. I saw reference in another forum about someone who tried the same thing and it didn’t work. No details on what or why, just that “they learned the hard way” that it didn’t work.

MPforUSMC

Interested in how the process goes for you. I saw reference in another forum about someone who tried the same thing and it didn’t work. No details on what or why, just that “they learned the hard way” that it didn’t work.
I’m going to follow the steps that one of the F150 forum group members had done and see if that works. I’m just waiting for the right part to pop up on EBay and go from there. I’ll take pictures and write up a step by step should I succeed.

Cherga

PA
There are several MKX TCU’s on eBay, is that what you plan to use?

Cherga

PA
Picked up a TCU from a 16 MKX. Planning to install the unit behind the center stack. Does anyone have familiarity with the wiring? I need to tap into “always on” power (not battery) and ms-can +/-.

MPforUSMC

The f150 guys have a good tutorial with diagrams attached for their specific setup. 12 volt +, ground, and any module with the hs+/- should supposedly work. I have all my supplies on order to retrofit my MKT. I’ll report back after my install if it was successful or not.

MPforUSMC

I also found the MKT service manual for 16 bucks. It has diagrams of all the various electronic components, whether it is ms or hs connection, and it’s location.

Cherga

PA
Thanks. I didn’t see one for a 2019 but will likely pick up a hard copy as they’re cheap. Just heard from the guys on the F150 forum and they say it’s not possible to install a TCU in MKT because it’s CGEA 1.2 vehicle and no one has been successful to date. Hoping they’re wrong.

MPforUSMC

I’ve got a ‘19 as well and just ordered the ‘18 service manual as surely they are the same. I’ve got no idea what CGEA is, but a couple of smart fellas like ourselves, I’m sure we will be successful....

Cherga

PA
Did some more research and it appears the factory telematics unit may be possible. Telematics needs Hi/Lo signals from the HSCAN bus... HSCAN bus doesn’t exist in an MKT however i-can bus does and from what I’ve read, I-can was renamed HSCAN and “should” function the same. I suppose we’ll see once parts arrive.

vinaygoel2000

Houston
Did some more research and it appears the factory telematics unit may be possible. Telematics needs Hi/Lo signals from the HSCAN bus... HSCAN bus doesn’t exist in an MKT however i-can bus does and from what I’ve read, I-can was renamed HSCAN and “should” function the same. I suppose we’ll see once parts arrive.
I hope it works out. If you dont mind me ask, what functionality would you gain? If you keep a hotspot in your car that's always powered on, would you be able to use the Lincoln app and remotely start your car from anywhere in the world (outside the pathetic range)?