Newbie here with a 1949 Cosmopolitan

Welcome to the busiest full-spectrum Lincoln community online!

Please join us! We'd really love to have you as a member...

rmcphearson

Greetings all,

Earlier this year I bought a 2003 Town Car with 75k (in lieu of a minivan) because it has enough room in the back seat for a rear facing child seat. My wife and I have fallen in love with this town car! Knowing my wife's driving record, I initially anticipated a series of unfortunate events involving the exterior of this car. Which got me thinking, if this thing gets banged up beyond economical repair, what would I do with this flawless drivetrain with 75k miles on it? So, I started looking around at some classic Lincoln rollers that need a drivetrain and...low and behold, guess what I found a few miles from here?! A solid 1949 Cosmo 4 door (suicide doors) with no engine for a song. The guy is practically giving this thing away because no one else wants it. The body and frame are in good condition, but it is pretty much a basket case. No engine or transmission. Surprisingly, the dash with all the "jewelry" is intact and in good condition. That was the most attractive part about the deal to me! I mean have you seen the 49 dash?! Here's the thing...

1) I hate the looks of the hardtop 4 door cosmopolitans. I see pictures of red ones, black ones, yellow ones and I want to barf. I have no interest in them.
2) Some of the convertibles such as this one below, are stunningly beautiful.
1606870876074.png

CuttingToolGuy

Houston
Did you buy it?

My experience with older autos is that the accessories & trim are the hardest to find. Make sure every knob or piece of chrome is attached.

It is a nice looking car.

rmcphearson

Hello Cutting ToolGuy,
I gave a deposit and have 3 weeks to get the car. I plan to do so when I move into my new house 3 weeks from now. All the exterior chrome pieces and the fender skirts are there. And the important "jewelry" pieces of the dash are there, and the radio etc. I plan to study the body/frame and reinforce where needed so I can cut the top off to make it a convertible. Then start on the body work.

What kind of cutting tools are you the guy of?

Cheers,
Roland
San Francisco CA

CuttingToolGuy

Houston
Sounds good. You should have a few years to get the body in order before the Town Car is too far gone.

You sound like someone who isn't afraid to take on a project. If the
TC hangs tough & you still need a powerplant some of the 2002 / 2003 Explorers have an aluminum block 4.6 which is about 75# less than our cast iron ones. I would pair an aluminum block with the heads & intake off of a 95' to 98' Lincoln Mark VIII. That would put you right at 300 dependable HP and the TC computer can control it.

Are you going to put in a convertable top as well? I bet one off an 05' to 09' mustang would make a good starting point.

Re Cuttingtoolguy: My day job is to sell the tools machinists use to cut metal to machine shops and factories as well as solutions. I get to work on everything from sub sea drilling rigs to aircraft turbines. I also am a partner in an independent auto repair shop.

I usually hang out in the Town Car sub forum.

rmcphearson

I'm not worried about putting a top on it. It rarely rains here in Concord CA and it will be garaged anyway. If I go modern with an engine I was thinking of a cute little 3.9 from an LS. 240hp would be more than enough. I'm a long way from picking a motor though. Stiffening the body before cutting the top off will occupy me for a while.

Thank you for the tips and suggestions! Much appreciated.

I learned to grind my own HSS bits in trade school. I've got an early 1930s Hardinge lathe. Used it in a pinch last year to make a pilot bushing to stuff a mustang transmission into a '62 Falcon Ranchero.

Cheers

CuttingToolGuy

Houston
I have a little proverb: A machinist can be an operator but, an operator can't be a machinist. I deal with carbide, ceramet, CBN & ceramic.

I hope you start a build thread. I will follow.

And, welcome to the site.

rmcphearson

First step is to find some decent tires to get this thing home on. I can get some 235/65R16 Falken's from local PepBoys for $50 right now! Looking for some 16" wheels now...

rmcphearson

The wheel bolt pattern on the Cosmo are different that modern fomoco wheels. So I'm getting new tires for the original wheels. 235/75/15. That's some serious rubber for a car (more like truck tires!). I also found the correct Lincoln 337 flat head V8 AND Hydramatic (GM) auto trans in Atlanta. Working on getting that powertrain shipped here. If it arrives I may just do a resto instead of a rest-mod.

rmcphearson

I finally got a little time to start researching. The paint code is Y-111 which is Admiral blue. That's a pleasant surprise because I hate the current black. I can see some of the blue in spots where the black has worn off. Great news!

There is a 142-G which must be the trim code. Haven't found that code index yet. I might need to buy a body catalog to get that info.

If I turn the lights off in the garage so it's pitch black some of the numbers and pointers on the dash glow in the dark just a bit but not enough to be legible. Here is what I read on page 9 and 12 of the owner's manual:

"The Instrument Lighting System uses the "black light" technique developed during World War II. It's filtered light source passes only ultra-violet or near ultra-violet rays. Instrument pointers and markings are painted with a luminescent substance* that gives off visible light when exposed to "black light" rays. Instuments are made easy to read without distracting light.
*These luminescent paints contain no radium, radio-active material or elemental phosphorous."

I take that to mean the gage cluster light is a black light (6v) and if I buy a black light these things are going to pop and be legible. Shopping for a black light now.

rmcphearson

I bought a $10 blacklight at the hardware store.

Attachments

• blacklight1.JPG
    blacklight1.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 4
  • blacklight2.JPG
    blacklight2.JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 4
  • blacklight4.JPG
    blacklight4.JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 4