newbi just brought home a 2000 sig 85000 miles

kilrcady

going over it this morning but on first impressions the PO ripped off part of the carriage roof,he was a young kid and thought it would just come off and now i have to see where i can get this fixed

kilrcady

looks good.recent air spring and shocks all around.new brakes all around. new tires all around(Michelins).the spare was never on the car had to air it up.the jack was never usedeven. replacement intake,but the coolant was really bad.had it flushed and fresh stuff in.I had to install a new wiper motor and as i was standing quiet,i heard a hiss from the coolant cap.ahh theres the rust problem.once air gets in the system rust starts,so new cap tomorrow.also a slight rattle coming from one of the converters.hope it lasts.All i have to do now if find someone who can redo the carriage roof

Skrimps

I also recently purchased a 2000 Town Car Signature. Car has low miles for the year (85k) but has had some neglect, which I am working through. Florida car, which is hard to find where I live in the rust belt (new england). Sorry about the roof, I specifically avoid cars with the vinyl/carriage roof (whatever it's called). Enjoy it, these Town Car's sure are nice to drive.

Brian J. Patterson

Northern Illinois
going over it this morning but on first impressions the PO ripped off part of the carriage roof,he was a young kid and thought it would just come off and now i have to see where i can get this fixed

Hi, kilrcady.

It sounds like you got a nice car over all. Congrats and welcome to the forum.

For the vinyl roof, I would recommend any decent body shop. Whether you have the dealer installed vinyl roof replaced (Lincoln never installed them at the factory for these years,) or put the car back to painted steel, this is not a job for the faint-of-heart. I prefer the steel myself, but I have the dealer installed vinyl roof and I have no intention of removing it any time soon due to the bother and almost certain almost total repaint this would require.

The top is clipped, glued, and screwed to the car, both the roof itself and the tops of the doors. Removing the top leaves you filling screw holes, re-mounting (or replacing) window trim, and dealing with the damage to the clear-coat from the top and padding that will likely see you painting the roof and upper doors of the car to get it looking right. Replacing the top has its own issues as well.

Hopefully, your "converter rattle" is only a heat shield needing to be refastened. But you would need to be the judge of that. Even a video won't always capture a "mystery rattle" good enough to identify over the Internet.

Once again, welcome to the forum, congrats, and good luck with your new (to you) car.

Thanks.

kilrcady

New question.I had the problem of locked steering wheel and investigated the brake switch and yes the plug was broken on the brake light switch.All good.Now every so often it wont start in park.I put the key forward put it in neutral and it starts.The shifter has a lot of play in it.I looked it up and checked the bushing on trans linkage and it is bolted soild.I dont know if its been messed with or if this is normal.Should I replace the cable?could it be stretched?Thanks