• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "1998 Town Car" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 1998 Town Car" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Newb, Looking for advice selling 2018 AWD Reserve

COMA1

I hope I'm in the correct section to ask this..

My mother-in-law passed away recently and my wife would like to sell her mothers car. It is extremely nice but we have no need for a luxury sedan. She stopped by the local Ford dealer where the car was purchased new and they offered a buy back at $37K. We really don't know anything about pricing this car, other than what I've searched for sale in similar trim levels and that seems to vary a lot. The car was a special order, it is ruby red met clear-coat and always garaged, 11K miles, and not one scratch that I can find. I'll list what the window sticker calls options below, they total $15.9K

2018 AWD RESERVE
3.0L GTDI V6
3.39 axle ratio
perfect position seating 30 way
rear seat package
technology package
20" pol aluminum wheels /dark tarnish
climate package

Basically we are trying to decide if the dealer offer is a good one, or should we be looking to sell this individually for a little more? If so, where should we start?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Scott

jkeaton

Winston Salem, NC
If you don't want to deal with a private sale, agree with the above advice. You can check on places like Carmax, autotrader, etc and see what similarly equipped models are going for retail and see if that's a large enough difference to make up for the pain of selling a vehicle privately

bbf2530

I hope I'm in the correct section to ask this..

My mother-in-law passed away recently and my wife would like to sell her mothers car. It is extremely nice but we have no need for a luxury sedan. She stopped by the local Ford dealer where the car was purchased new and they offered a buy back at $37K. We really don't know anything about pricing this car, other than what I've searched for sale in similar trim levels and that seems to vary a lot. The car was a special order, it is ruby red met clear-coat and always garaged, 11K miles, and not one scratch that I can find. I'll list what the window sticker calls options below, they total $15.9K

2018 AWD RESERVE
3.0L GTDI V6
3.39 axle ratio
perfect position seating 30 way
rear seat package
technology package
20" pol aluminum wheels /dark tarnish
climate package

Basically we are trying to decide if the dealer offer is a good one, or should we be looking to sell this individually for a little more? If so, where should we start?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Scott
Hi COMA. My condolences for the loss of your wife's mom.

Concerning how to sell her Continental, here is my opinion: If you want the best price, sell it privately. First, go to KBB.com, NADA.com and Edmunds.com and work up the Private Party and Trade-in sale prices to give yourself an idea of what you should be asking/expecting. Yes, they are not perfect, but they are better than nothing and/or random Internet opinions.

Once you have an approximate asking price, put "For Sale" signs on it and park it somewhere it can be seen by as many passersby as possible. Even in a parking lot of a nearby store by a main road etc. You can also list it on any community Bulletin Boards you may have in your area, online etc.

See if you get any offers, what you can get, etc. Unfortunately, it is a bad time to be selling anything, considering the current health crisis is keeping most people close to home and limiting outside contact. However, if you can find a willing buyer, you may be able to get thousands more than a Dealer will offer you.

As a quick example, I worked up an approximate price for that car on KBB.com in my area (prices can vary by area).
The Dealer offer is not bad as far as Trade-in/Dealer offers go. In "Very Good" condition, The Trade-in value is listed at $32,622-$37,005. However, the Private Party Sale value is $37,797-$43,394.
If the car is in "Excellent" condition, then the prices increase to Trade-in $33,307-$37,698 and Private Party Sale $38,562-$43,705.
Of course, any used car is only worth what a willing buyer will pay, but at least you have a general idea of where to start.

As you can see, there is quite a bit of room to possibly make more by selling it on your own. Keep in mind that the Dealer is in business to make money from you the seller, and the next buyer.

You can always try to sell it Privately, and then if you can not sell it for more than the Dealer offer, after what you consider to be a reasonable amount of time, sell it to the Dealer.
Alternately, you can stop by a few other Auto Dealers and see if any of them offer you more. They will appraise it and make an offer. If it is more, great. If it is lower, then tell them what the first Dealer already offered and see if they will beat it. The worst then can do is say no.

On the other hand, if you do not want the hassle and simply want to get rid of it as soon as possible...and understand you will get a diminished value...then sell it to the Lincoln Dealer.

I have Privately sold every one of my used cars, ever since my first new car in 1976. And I have always been able to make at least $1,500 more than the Dealer Trade-in offer. And as much as $3,700 more.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Last edited:

COMA1

Thank you all for the responses!
It is looking like we may regret not accepting the initial buy back offer, with everything that is going on now. I doubt I'll be leaving it out in a parking lot because, to my knowledge, it's never been out in the rain. I think we will list it online at $42K and see where that goes. In the interim I will likely revisit the dealer to see if in fact their offer stands during this pandemic .

Thank You again.

Scott

HTML