New to the Panther Platform

Welcome to the busiest full-spectrum Lincoln community online!

Please join us! We'd really love to have you as a member...

(insert name here)

A few years ago I purchased a 2001 Lincoln Town Car limousine. It was a cheap impulse buy, and it's just been sitting around since. I decided instead of letting it waste away, I'd drive it around a bit. I have a few questions now that I've started using it.

Does this car have an oil life counter? I know many newer cars want that reset after you change the oil, so I was trying to figure out how to do that in this car (if it's even a feature). The SERVICE ENGINE SOON light is on, and I thought it may be linked with that.

The steering in this car feels a bit heavy. The pump has plenty of fluid and isn't noisy, and I recall some '90s Lincolns have a feature to adjust the amount of assist the pump provides. Wondering if this car has the same feature hidden somewhere since I don't see it in the spot on the dash where the '90s ones had it.

Can the transponder key security feature be disabled? The key's a bit bulky, and I'd rather just have a plain metal key on my keyring. I've read that there's a way to put the car into a mode where it accepts a new transponder, and then you can exit that mode without programming any transponder at all, effectively disabling the feature. But I'd really hate to try that and then find that I've completely disabled my car. Another suggestion I read was pulling the plastic head off the key and glueing it to the steering column, but that doesn't seem like a very good approach.

(insert name here)

Awesome, thanks! My car did not have the manual. Reading through that, it looks like I do not have an oil life counter that has to be reset. Stopped at the parts store and had them check error codes. Looks like the oxygen sensors say the car is running rich, so I'm going to say that's the culprit of the light here. Can't say I'm too concerned about that; the car's getting 19 mpg around town, which is about double what I expected out of a stretch limo. I'm quite impressed.

After driving the car around a few days, I'm also finding that the interior is too small for me. I have the seat all the way down and back, and my line of sight is right through the bottom of the strip of blue window tint across the top of the windshield. I went to pull the front seats so I could put something in that's a little lower and a little further back, but I've run into an issue: The power driver's seat will not move forward to allow access the rear mounting bolts. Since this is a limo, there's a partition behind the front seat, meaning my access to the rear of the seat is limited to shoving my arm into a tiny crevasse and then wiggling my fingers around under the seat (since I can't angle my arm to reach completely under the seat). I looked in from the front, and there's no way I'm going to be able to get a wrench on the rear bolts without moving the seat forward first. With the seat back, there's a bracket that looks to block all side access to the mounting bolts. The seat moved forward and backward a couple weeks ago, and the motor still appears to be in working order, but when I try to do anything the gear tracks just bend out slightly and nothing moves. I can't find anything that's in the way, and I even relubricated everything to no avail. Is there a way to manually force the seat forward?

bearhnt

Snellville, GA
Welcome to the TC Family. I know I love them....just got my 4th one (2011 Sig Lim) and the folks here are great assets.

(insert name here)

Thanks. Still looking for advice on how to move the driver's seat forward so I can unbolt it. I took a video of what it's doing:

It's acting like the seat's jammed, but there just isn't anything in the way or in the tracks. Everything's been hit with PB Blaster. Everything's been hit with spray lube. I've tried to assist the motor by pulling forward on the seat while hitting the button. I've tried to assist the motor by prying forward on the seat with a crowbar while hitting the button. The seat just will not move. Generic recommendations on the internet said there's usually a square hole in the end of the gear so you can manually move it with a drill, but as you can see, this gear doesn't have that. I'm out of ideas.

Had a smaller relative over today to see if they could squeeze in and get the rear-inner nut off the seat, and it just isn't possible with the seat in the most rearward position. He suggested I tear the bottom cushion off and replace it with something thinner to get the lower seating position I need, but I hate to destroy this seat. I'd much rather pull it and set it aside and put an older seat with a lower profile in the car.

Last edited: