Lincoln Forums Navigation:

New member - questions

I recently purchased a silver 2001 Lincoln TC Executive with 69K miles on it for $2200 from a widower. I just found this forum and it looks like a very informative place. I've really come to like this car very much other than the gas mileage but I'm getting an average of 22.6 mpg on country roads which all things considered isn't that much worse than what my wife gets on the 2014 Odyssey.

I discovered, as many people have, the leaking issues. I believe I got the passenger side corrected but I'm still dealing with the driver's side. I've seen the threads about it resolving the issue but how in the world do you get the carpet pulled back? I looked for screws in the molding but I don't seen any obvious ones. I searched about carpeting but haven't come across any addressing this.

It's too big to park in my garage so it has to sit outside. Is there a car cover anyone recommends? It is not my daily driver but I want to provide some protect from the elements.

Thanks,

Uwe

Driver's side please.

I live in the mountains of NC. It rains a lot here so that would be a consideration regarding covers.
As far as the driver's side front leak is concerned; read this link:

Water in Drivers Side Floor Pan

I have had the same problem with damp/wet carpet in driver's floor pan. I implemented Mafatone's" solution and since then my carpeting is dry after rain. I used 7/16" O.D. clear fuel hose to insert into the driver side wiper cowl drain hole; securing it with RTV. I didn't pull up the carpeting.

Good luck.

Hi Uwe. Concerning a car cover to protect it, I can recommend "California Car Cover" for a variety of car covers: California Car Cover Co. Official Site | Custom Fit Car Covers & Accessories for New & Classic Cars On Sale
I've purchased two car covers from them, along with a variety of smaller items over the years.

Give them a call and tell them what specifications are important to you (waterproof etc). And as Town mentioned, even a waterproof cover needs to be "breathable". A good cover prevents moisture from penetrating from the outside, but will allow moisture to evaporate from the inside. It must also have a soft and non-abrasive underside, to avoid damaging the paint finish. This is why we can't just cover our cars with a giant sheet of plastic.

As far as the carpeting, I am not sure how extensive a removal you are trying to achieve. However, most cars require the front seat/seats to be removed for a full removal.

Keep us updated and good luck with your drying and research.

Uwe

I appreciate the responses.

Leak - I had cleaned out the driver side drain earlier but the water is still coming in. Did you have to take out the cruise control module to install the 7/16 tube? I'd prefer this to be as little invasive procedure as possible. I was going to ask if the RTV was enough to secure it but I see it's an adhesive too. I'm going to do this weekend to see if it resolves the issue.

Car cover - I looked at the California car covers. I looked at a variety of covers and none came in under $200. My wife gave me "the look" ...had it been a pocketbook THAT would have been a different story. She's giving me a $100 budget on the cover. I'm sitting there the whole time thinking I bring home 80% of the bacon and you're driving a vehicle that costs 16 times the cost of this car...

It's raining hard here today. I'll be out there with a shop vac tonight. Hopefully for the last time!
Maybe I can send some pics. Can you upload them straight to the site or do you have to use one of those imaging storage services first?

Thanks again!

I appreciate the responses.

Leak - I had cleaned out the driver side drain earlier but the water is still coming in. Did you have to take out the cruise control module to install the 7/16 tube? I'd prefer this to be as little invasive procedure as possible. I was going to ask if the RTV was enough to secure it but I see it's an adhesive too. I'm going to do this weekend to see if it resolves the issue.

/QUOTE]
I had no interference from any type of modules or cables (2007 Town Car). The 7/16" tube was about 2 ft long which I routed down behind the driver's side wheel housing. Used DAP Max silicone. Here's a picture.

Attachments

bbf2530

Hi Uwe. Not sure how much you can discuss the point with your wife...but you will not a get a good car cover for $100. And a low quality car cover can actually do more damage than it prevents.

However, I understand completely. You have to live with both your wife and the car, but she can talk.

Keep us updated and good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Uwe has a 2001 model that uses a servo on the bulkhead near the throttle cable and the drain. The 2007 does not use the sevo for cruise control so the area is more open.

It is easy to upload pics to this site. At the bottom of reply box is a box that says "attach files" so click this and you will be connected to your computer directories. Select your pics that should be 400kb or so and upload them.😛

Uwe

Here is a picture of where the drain is. The box with the gray top is, I believe, the cruise control unit(?). It is pretty close to the drain hole and makes putting a hose under the drain a bit tight. It
looks like there are two bolts securing it. I think if I took those out and scooted the CC unit forward a little it would give me enough room but I am not sure if the black rod going off to the left of it can detached or if it would bend enough to move the unit forward.

Driver Side drain.jpg

As for the car cover I may bide my time and wait until she wants or buys something and then pull the trigger on it and ask for forgiveness later.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

HTML