Lincoln Forums Navigation:

new "junior member" here with reverse air ride question

hlinar

Thread starter #1
Hello all,

Today I acquired a one owner 05 signature with 117k miles on it. The owner told me they had converted the air ride suspension to coil springs. This is my 6th TC and I've only had to replace one set of bags in the last 30 years. Broke my heart but I bought it anyway. Garage kept, engine so clean you could eat off it.

How can I restore the beloved air ride? all google searches show air to coil springs only....

Thanks

dave42

Hopefully the compressor isn't burned out. Take a look underneath. If you are lucky, everything is still in place. When people switch to coils they usually don't go to the unneeded trouble of removing the height sensor or air lines. When I switched to coils I had the mechanic put plastic bags around the solenoids to keep them clean and tywrap them up out of the way, so I could go back to air ride if I want. And then just turned off the switch in the trunk. If everything is there, unbolt bottom of shocks, pull out coils, pop in bags, add clip above frame, reconnect shock. (No I haven't done it, but I think that's about it)

hlinar

Thread starter #3
Hopefully the compressor isn't burned out. Take a look underneath. If you are lucky, everything is still in place. When people switch to coils they usually don't go to the unneeded trouble of removing the height sensor or air lines. When I switched to coils I had the mechanic put plastic bags around the solenoids to keep them clean and tywrap them up out of the way, so I could go back to air ride if I want. And then just turned off the switch in the trunk. If everything is there, unbolt bottom of shocks, pull out coils, pop in bags, add clip above frame, reconnect shock. (No I haven't done it, but I think that's about it)

Thanks Dave, whenI got home it was raining and dark. First thing to do when it's light and dry tomorrow.

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
Welcome to the Forum.

Do you have the "Air Suspension off" message in the message center? That is hard to turn off on the 2005 model and keep the electronics in workable mode. The module is behind the glove box and also controls the power steering EVO functions.

I can probably provide you with any of the procedures to replace any of the parts you are missing, based upon the 2006 or 2007 models. They should be identical to the 2005 model.

Good luck.

hlinar

Thread starter #5
Welcome to the Forum.

Do you have the "Air Suspension off" message in the message center? That is hard to turn off on the 2005 model and keep the electronics in workable mode. The module is behind the glove box and also controls the power steering EVO functions.

I can probably provide you with any of the procedures to replace any of the parts you are missing, based upon the 2006 or 2007 models. They should be identical to the 2005 model.

Good luck.
Thanks, Town. Yes air suspension off msge lit up in dash, switch in trunk turned off. Right now I'm juggling the car with prepping the house for sale. so my time is limited. It might be awhile before I contact you , if needed.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

HTML