• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "1998 Town Car" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 1998 Town Car" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Need help with my 1998 Town Car

More specifically, I need information about my '98 Executive Lincoln Town car.

When I bought it, the transmission fluid dipstick was missing, and I had picked up a dipstick off of a town car in a salvage yard I believed to have been from the 1998-2002 Town Car. I'm not certain what dipsticks are compatible in this case. The dipstick I picked up showed no fluid while the car was cold, but this might relate to another issue I have been experiencing. Last I drove it, shifting into reverse resulted in the RPMs dropping from 900 to 250-300 before rising up to 400. Along with this, it shifts hard from 1-2 and 2-3. Going into overdrive didn't have any major drama to its operation. Is this a symptom of low transmission fluid?

04TC

Tampa, FL
The dipstick I picked up showed no fluid while the car was cold, but this might relate to another issue I have been experiencing.
The transmission fluid level is meant to be checked when the fluid is warm with the engine running in order to get an accurate reading. Too much or too little transmission fluid can cause issues, but there are other possible causes as well.

If you check the dipstick with the fluid up to operating temp and the engine running, and you still don't see any fluid on the dipstick, you can add half a quart of transmission fluid at a time. After each half quart is added check the dipstick again each time until the fluid is up to the proper level range. Make sure you only use Mercon V transmission fluid. do NOT use other spec transmission fluids, not even other Mercon fluid types like Mercon LV, Mercon ULV, or Mercon.

HTML