Navigation system - wiring harness connections interchangeable with other factory stereos?

raiderfan247365

Western Oregon
I’ve got a line on a nice 2006 Town Car, but it has the dreaded navigation stereo system. Does anyone know if one of the other head units is a direct drop-in, such as the 6-disc changer? Or does the nav have specialized plugs?

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

My 2003 Cartier
While I can't say with 100% certainty that the nav system has a different wiring harness, I am pretty dang sure. Crutchfield sells a different harness adapter for the nav vs no nav set ups, which also tells me there is probably a difference. You could probably cut the harness and splice in another radio, buuuuut that is the opposite of "drop in" lol.

04TC

Tampa, FL
I think @raiderfan247365 is correct. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but each type of head unit that came from factory in these town cars had a different wiring harness, even the non navigation units the harness is different between the standard 1 CD and the premium with 6 disk.

Hopewell Joe

I think @raiderfan247365 is correct. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but each type of head unit that came from factory in these town cars had a different wiring harness, even the non navigation units the harness is different between the standard 1 CD and the premium with 6 disk.
I have owned and do own several of these town cars from 2005 thru 2009 at the moment. Never had a Nav unit but the stereos all plug in no issue whether it is a single disc or combo with a cassette or 6 disc unit. The internal backlighting burns out in these factory systems usually by 250k and no replaceable bulbs in them so I just get another at the junk yard.

04TC

Tampa, FL
I have owned and do own several of these town cars from 2005 thru 2009 at the moment. Never had a Nav unit but the stereos all plug in no issue whether it is a single disc or combo with a cassette or 6 disc unit. The internal backlighting burns out in these factory systems usually by 250k and no replaceable bulbs in them so I just get another at the junk yard.
I stand corrected. Thanks for the info