• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "1998 Town Car" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 1998 Town Car" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

My box is going into the doctor's soon.....anything special the doctor should check?

Lily White

I am the proud owner of a 1989 Town car base. It has 62K on the clock. It has been well maintained. I have driven it about 3K miles.

I do not know much about the vehicle's previous ownership history. I write this email to ask if there any particular things a mechanic (doctor) should be checking for. Issues that may be germane to this generation or year Panther Town car.

I have already done some work to the car, as follows:

Transmission service
Brake service
New heater control valve
New automatic parking brake release thingie
Oil change
New tires and alignment
New PCV valve
New metal grommet on transmission TV cable

The engine only gets about 1500 miles per quart of oil. Normal?
The windows act up and sometimes fail to go up or down for brief periods (which is why she is going into the shop)

Anything you guys would check?

Thanks!

1984TC

shocks and springs. grease the various fittings upfront ball joints etc. since you have window problems, when you remove your door panels to tackle that job it would be wise to clean the window hardware, locking hardware, door hinge hardware, and then regrease everything. Especially the hinges and locks, it really sucks when those get stuck and you're either locked out or locked in or both

wa9zug

Without a doubt. Replace the throttle valve control bushing. When it crumbles the tranny is toast in 200 miles.

Lily White

Without a doubt. Replace the throttle valve control bushing. When it crumbles the tranny is toast in 200 miles.
Done

Mafatone

The car is not burning the oil. Your mechanic will misdiagnose it as a rear main seal leak when in fact it is the rear rubber intake manifold gasket. They get hard, brittle and shrink due to age and heat. It's going to get worse over time if you plan on keeping the car. All the Ford 302's do, not just yours. I've replaced a lot of the intake manifold gaskets. Trust me, it's the gasket

Lily White

The car is not burning the oil. Your mechanic will misdiagnose it as a rear main seal leak when in fact it is the rear rubber intake manifold gasket. They get hard, brittle and shrink due to age and heat. It's going to get worse over time if you plan on keeping the car. All the Ford 302's do, not just yours. I've replaced a lot of the intake manifold gaskets. Trust me, it's the gasket
How difficult is it to replace the gasket?

HTML