My 2 LSes still running GREAT, until last week!

Welcome to the busiest full-spectrum Lincoln community online!

Please join us! We'd really love to have you as a member...

don-ohio

Oct 31, 2016
One stays covered down in FL while we're up here for 6 months in Ohio. My unpressurized 65/35 antifreeze to water mix has kept me from any cooling system problems.
The only problem, on this LS 6,2004 up here started Saturday about 12 miles from home. All the symptoms of low fluid(losing drive until sitting with engine off and restarting), and sure enough it was low and kinda dark. Did my last change, full fluid flush, about 40,000 mi. and 7 years ago.
Was nothing in the pan except some iron on the magnet. Put it back together and will fill it tomorrow.
I'll be removing that plug in the rear of the case so I can fill it faster.
I disconnected the right side hoses, flushed the cooler with brake cleaner and blew it out with air pressure.

11MarkX

Aug 5, 2021
Is there a leak? Ford, for some odd reason, installed the 2 trans lines rubbing the LS's steering rack. After a while the trans lines start leaking, but at first only while moving and under pressure. You might not see where it's coming at first, just a wet area..

Although Ford says trans fluid is for 100K, many (including me) still believe in changing every 50K. Mercon and Mercon LV gets dark after only 2,000 miles. Its a coloring defect that Ford never fixed but doesn't affect performance.

Last edited:

don-ohio

Oct 31, 2016
Thanks! Well, that IS possible, but the only leak I saw was a bad steering rack left side leak. I have a new one ordered under a lifetime warranty. I saw no other leaks.
I guess I could've failed to get enough in there at the last flush in 2015, but we have had no probs for 7 yrs. since that.
I have it full now with 1/2 qt. extra as I always do.
Can't road test it until AutoZone gets my part tomorrow AM. They had already gotten the wrong one in and hadda send it back. Thanks for the info., 11 MarkX !

11MarkX

Aug 5, 2021
I guess I was wrong. I thought your transmssion was leaking? Here's a vid of the common problem. Old steering racks leak, so you're probably right to replace the steering rack. While your under there, If trans lines are rubbing and not broken, maybe put rubber hose underneath lines.

don-ohio

Oct 31, 2016
Thank you so much for that video. I have to raise it up later to grease it, as I have replaced the rack and pinion and flushed the cooler lines and trans. I will check if my lines are rubbing. THANK YOU!
By measuring precisely the toe-in on by rack and pinion, I was able to maintain perfect toe alignment.

don-ohio

Oct 31, 2016
Still intermittently losing drive. I saw the gear display on dash indicate wrong gear. I have ordered the trans range selector from Ford. I'm hoping that's it.

don-ohio

Oct 31, 2016
Still intermittently losing drive. I saw the gear display on dash indicate wrong gear. I have ordered the trans range selector from Ford. I'm hoping that's it.
Well, replaced range sensor and still not right. Have ordered a shift kit for valve body and I have a new solenoid assembly. Will report back in a few days.

don-ohio

Oct 31, 2016
New Shift solenoids pack. No difference.Looks like PCM is bad. Sending it to SIA Electronics after I remove it.

don-ohio

Oct 31, 2016
No, but I called them for the umpteenth time today, and the lady said the guy that has it hasn't been to work since week before last. She said she'd put someone else on it.
I told her it's my wife's daily driver. I bought her another LS with only 101K on it 2 weeks ago.
It's a 2003 with the bells and whistles.
The one she had was a base model, but nice.
First thing I did to this one was boost the antifreeze to 65% volume and loosen the cap. No plastic tank or parts, hoses, failures on anything I own yet.

don-ohio

Oct 31, 2016
Well, STILL no word from SIA yet! This is why I bought that LS a while back.
On the 2003 I just bought with only 101K, they told me when I bought it, they had fixed a fuel rail leak. recently. Nah Baby, nah.
I will have to work on THAT now. The expansion pot on the passenger side let loose. What are those for anyway?