MKS vs Town Car ride (suspension question for folks who've had both model cars).....

Welcome to the busiest full-spectrum Lincoln community online!

Please join us! We'd really love to have you as a member...

laurentkm2

The 2003+ Town Cars had the firmest suspension of the Town Car series. I know that the MKS has a comfort mode.

My question to the people who've had a Town Car and a MKS........How much different (if any) was the feel of the ride? More floaty/less? Did you feel the bumps in the road more? Etc.?

Comparing the two models since they're both full size Lincoln sedans.

Thanks

bbf2530

The 2003+ Town Cars had the firmest suspension of the Town Car series. I know that the MKS has a comfort mode.

My question to the people who've had a Town Car and a MKS........How much different (if any) was the feel of the ride? More floaty/less? Did you feel the bumps in the road more? Etc.?

Comparing the two models since they're both full size Lincoln sedans.

Thanks

Hi lauren. The Town Car still had a more traditional, softer/floatier ride.

Good luck.

jkeaton

Winston Salem, NC
No comparison. My 04 TC was heads above my 2013 MKS when it comes to ride quality. But it was a sacrifice I was willing to make up gain some more modern day conveniences. Most likely due to the 20” wheels on the MKS, but I feel every bump in the road that I didn’t notice with the town car. I also feel no difference between the drive modes in the MKS aside from firmer steering feedback in sport.

Rongold

My 2002 Town Cars rode great. My 2014 & 2015 MKS's ride like trucks compared to the Town Cars---Mainly due to the squatty 45 series "V" rated tires. You need a tall flexible sidewall to make a car ride softer. The "V" rated tire sidewalls have no "give"---They're stiff as a board and the car's ride suffers because of it, BUUUUUT the MKS handles much better because of it.

C Krohn

Fort Worth, TX
My 2002 Town Cars rode great. My 2014 & 2015 MKS's ride like trucks compared to the Town Cars---Mainly due to the squatty 45 series "V" rated tires. You need a tall flexible sidewall to make a car ride softer. The "V" rated tire sidewalls have no "give"---They're stiff as a board and the car's ride suffers because of it, BUUUUUT the MKS handles much better because of it.
Try "H" rated tires. The sidewalls aren't quite as stiff, and most people don't need "V" rated tires.

bbf2530

I have looked, and was unable to find any 245/45R20 tires in an "H" rating.

Hi Rongold. C Krohn is correct, The Tire Rack offers 7 H rated, all-season tires in that size. 6 all-seasons by Continental and Pirelli. And one ice/snow tire by Michelin). Although none are inexpensive. Yes, some state CUV/SUV, but you can use a CUV tire, since a CUV is simply a high station wagon. I would recommend against using an SUV/Truck only tire.

Something to keep in mind if you are searching online websites: It may make your online search easier if you search by tire size (i.e. 245/45-20) and use the filters to narrow the search down to H-rated tires only, instead of searching by model year/vehicle recommendations.

The reason? Many tire sellers may not offer a tire in their vehicle suggestion database that has a lower speed rating than what was installed from the factory. Therefore, you may have to specifically search by tire sizes/speed rating, instead of vehicle suggestions.

The Tire Rack has a pretty wide selection of name brand tires. But checking around for other availability may also help.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Rongold

Sure, a more flexible sidewall will give you a softer ride, but in a 45 series tire with a more flexible sidewall, you run a higher risk of bending and cracking your wheels. My wife has already cracked & bent 2 wheels even with the stiff "V" rated Michelins. Luckily, I have a wheel repair guy about 30 miles from me---He was able to repair both of them. Not cheap $300 each, but cheaper than a new wheel.

RON

C Krohn

Fort Worth, TX
Sure, a more flexible sidewall will give you a softer ride, but in a 45 series tire with a more flexible sidewall, you run a higher risk of bending and cracking your wheels. My wife has already cracked & bent 2 wheels even with the stiff "V" rated Michelins. Luckily, I have a wheel repair guy about 30 miles from me---He was able to repair both of them. Not cheap $300 each, but cheaper than a new wheel.

RON
You must have terrible roads in your area. I've been driving for 60 years and have never cracked or bent a wheel.

Rongold

You must have terrible roads in your area. I've been driving for 60 years and have never cracked or bent a wheel.

This is New York---A BLUE state---Fixing roads and supporting the police are their least important things to do. Going after Trump is their most important. Broken & bent aluminum wheels are very common in the northeast.