• In the 1980s and 1990s we used AOL and Usenet. In the 2000s there were forums and message boards. In the 2010s - and until the very near future - social media. Something new is coming for Lincoln owners... Become an early adopter of what's next by SIGNING UP HERE. Your email address will not be sold or used in any way other than us communicating more details as we prepare for launch - and we will not communicate often.

Missing Engine Cover

Welcome to the busiest full-spectrum Lincoln community online!

Please join us! We'd really love to have you as a member...

Jan 7, 2022
I just purchased a 2021 Lincoln navigator 45 miles, $95K. I got home to find that the cars no longer come with an engine cover, which dresses out and helps keep the motor clean. I called Lincoln and was told that by removing, it reduces engine heat and helps with efficiency so they don't put them on any longer. I was told I could get one for 100 plus bucks from the dealer. The engine compartment looks like there is big something missing and ugly. After Spending 95K I had to pay the money for the cover, not the money, its the point. If you are going to purchase a Navigator or Lincoln please be aware of this issue and deal with it before buying or go with a Land Rover or Escalade that still dress out their motor compartments.

04TC

May 10, 2016
Tampa, FL
Odd that the company would say that. For most new Fords in the U.S. they no longer put in their engine covers, but in Chinese market Fords they do. I assume it's the same with Lincoln, they are probably doing it to save the like $2 it takes to make the plastic cover, on a $95000 vehicle smh. Ford/Lincoln appears to care more about the Chinese market than the U.S. market at this time

dschuffert

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Dec 23, 2021
I purchased a new 2021 Navigator L on 12/23. I too was surprised when I got home, opened the hood, and didn't see the engine cover. I called the dealer and they told me the same as you.

vipersinu2

Apr 16, 2020
That's B/S, check your engine after a big rain storm. Water drips right down the center of the Cowell panel and drips water right in the center of my engine cover.

I would imagine all those tiny little spaces are going to get flooded.

Let me know.

Okladoug

Dec 16, 2018
It is just to save money. It is nicely insulated and keeps the dust off the engine. Just like when manufacturers say that deleting the spare is to save weight but you can buy one as an option for a couple of hundred dollars. I would demand they get you one

GrussGott

Jan 1, 2022
Just FYI for everyone:

(a.) This is noted in many reviews (all?)
(b.) The engine bay can be degreased and detailed, i.e. hosed down so water, dust, etc shouldn't be an issue (and covers certainly don't help with rain, dust, etc.)

Personally I'm not buying a Lincoln Navigator to look at the engine so it doesn't bother me at all, but for others I guess it's a concern. I've been lucky to have BMW M cars for a decade and I don't think I've ever looked in the engine bays except when I first purchased them, so I won't be tempted by the 'Gator ... kinda the point of a 'Gator for me is to have others looking in there for me :)

I wouldn't say the cover is missing rather I'd call it an engine cover mod if you want to add one.

tgara

Aug 31, 2021
Connecticut
My Lincoln
2021 Nautilus
It is just to save money.
I'm not sure if cost savings is the main reason. Parts supplies have been constrained for numerous reasons and what I've heard is that Ford and Lincoln would rather get the cars onto dealer lots to satisfy demand rather than incur further delays by waiting for a largely cosmetic piece.

JEEPGRADY

Jan 5, 2022
I just purchased a 2021 Lincoln navigator 45 miles, $95K. I got home to find that the cars no longer come with an engine cover, which dresses out and helps keep the motor clean. I called Lincoln and was told that by removing, it reduces engine heat and helps with efficiency so they don't put them on any longer. I was told I could get one for 100 plus bucks from the dealer. The engine compartment looks like there is big something missing and ugly. After Spending 95K I had to pay the money for the cover, not the money, its the point. If you are going to purchase a Navigator or Lincoln please be aware of this issue and deal with it before buying or go with a Land Rover or Escalade that still dress out their

Last edited:

Okladoug

Dec 16, 2018
It is just to save money. It is nicely insulated and keeps the dust off the engine. Just like when manufacturers say that deleting the spare is to save weight but you can buy one as an option for a couple of hundred dollars. I would demand they get you one
Exactly! What good is that Ford of Lincoln offer road side assistance when there is no spare for them to use during your roadside assistance !

CARR142

Jul 22, 2011
CHERRY HILL, NJ
Exactly! What good is that Ford of Lincoln offer road side assistance when there is no spare for them to use during your roadside assistance !
I had 4 wheel/tires stolen from my mkX, call Lincoln Dealer, they sent out a dedicated roadside service with 4 new wheel/tires, taken off one of their stock vehicles. Installed wheels/tires, Then flat bedded it back to dealer. No other service was willing to help with this situation, due to the fact that the vehicle was on liter plastic bottle crates. Dealer ordered wheels, tires, tpm, alignment and checked for any other issues. All thanks to Lincoln roadside assistance. :D (y)

2021Navigator

Dec 15, 2020
I had 4 wheel/tires stolen from my mkX, call Lincoln Dealer, they sent out a dedicated roadside service with 4 new wheel/tires, taken off one of their stock vehicles. Installed wheels/tires, Then flat bedded it back to dealer. No other service was willing to help with this situation, due to the fact that the vehicle was on liter plastic bottle crates. Dealer ordered wheels, tires, tpm, alignment and checked for any other issues. All thanks to Lincoln roadside assistance. :D (y)
Your dealer certainly helped you out in this situation and should be recognized for it, who was it? How long ago did this happen?

Apr 25, 2020
South Holland
I just purchased a 2021 Lincoln navigator 45 miles, $95K. I got home to find that the cars no longer come with an engine cover, which dresses out and helps keep the motor clean. I called Lincoln and was told that by removing, it reduces engine heat and helps with efficiency so they don't put them on any longer. I was told I could get one for 100 plus bucks from the dealer. The engine compartment looks like there is big something missing and ugly. After Spending 95K I had to pay the money for the cover, not the money, its the point. If you are going to purchase a Navigator or Lincoln please be aware of this issue and deal with it before buying or go with a Land Rover or Escalade that still dress out their motor compartments.
I just traded in my 2020 navigator black label for a 2021 black label L I too was very surprised to not see the engine cover,my 2020 came with it.But on the bright side its easier to check the oil and maintenance now.

ImpulseMacdent

Apr 7, 2022
My Lincoln
2022 Aviator
Without those 4 sections of engine covers , the rubber sealer on the hood has nowhere to press against. So dirt and noise.. They are needed.

I think they were deleted as a poor cheap attempt to remedy the hood lift. The space above the lights is a great air ram, especially with the deflection off the headlights. The pressure simply lifts/bends the sides of the hood. (Try pulling up at the "Ram" area.)

The removal of the shrouds sections could be thought to let the pressure go into the engine by. That doesn't work as the dirt still comes in under the rubber before the missing pieces. See pics.

Other than hood /light redesign, a fix could be a custom rubber seal near the edge of the hood , above the light to the lowest section of the hood. That would deflect the air pressure going under the hood and stop the lift.

Attachments

• Lincoln AirLeakHook.jpg
    Lincoln AirLeakHook.jpg
    389.5 KB · Views: 85

GrussGott

Jan 1, 2022
Without those 4 sections of engine covers , the rubber sealer on the hood has nowhere to press against. So dirt and noise.. They are needed.

I think they were deleted as a poor cheap attempt to remedy the hood lift. The space above the lights is a great air ram, especially with the deflection off the headlights. The pressure simply lifts/bends the sides of the hood. (Try pulling up at the "Ram" area.)

The removal of the shrouds sections could be thought to let the pressure go into the engine by. That doesn't work as the dirt still comes in under the rubber before the missing pieces. See pics.

Other than hood /light redesign, a fix could be a custom rubber seal near the edge of the hood , above the light to the lowest section of the hood. That would deflect the air pressure going under the hood and stop the lift.
I read somewhere the change was due to heat buildup that was causing another issue and this is the fix for that issue ... but don't recall what it was.

ImpulseMacdent

Apr 7, 2022
My Lincoln
2022 Aviator
I think that is a ford excuse ... the airflow that cools the engine through the rad goes out under the car. Without those pieces.. Where does more air come from? where can the heat go? Simply not enough to consider. Ambient air around an engine doesn't cool it anyway Water does.. Consider a boat engine.
Without those pieces, the rubber gasket under the hood has nothing to press against

Last edited:

mm-etech

Dec 15, 2021
ATL, GA
I am not buying it. Engines are water cooled, not air cooled. Maybe creates few degrees of additional heat but without the cover

-- more dirt & water can get on electrical connections
-- additional noise from the engine
--more heat on hood damper

They could have re-designed the cover for more ventilation. Other MFRs, with high perf. engines which run hotter, are still using covers...

More than likely I will get one for my BL once it comes in, assuming attachments screws & harness are still there.

Black Label

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Jan 24, 2020
Burr Ridge, IL
Does anyone know if the 2022 engine still has the attachment point(s) for the cover? I wouldn't think they would change that since I think they will still sell the cover if people want it.