Miscellaneous Quality Concerns??

jesse.srq

It has been six months since I purchased my 2019 Lincoln Continental Black Label with the 3.0L, and I love every minute I spend in it – When it’s not in the shop… I must admit that I’ve got a few issues, and I wonder if anyone here in our Lincoln community has had any of the same.

I first noticed a paint defect on the driver door crease just above the Continental badge, right where the sheet metal creases at a flat angle. The dealership took just one look at the blemish and repaired it under warranty. No questions asked.

My second trip to the dealership was in September when I noticed about half a gallon of water sloshing around in the spare tire well. It was obviously fixed under warranty. The car was expected to be in the shop for a while as the weather seal was on backorder. Luckily, they found one at a dealership in Texas, so I got my car back sooner than expected.

Now my 3rd trip to the shop will be for a bubble that I’ve noticed in the dash. In the area on the driver’s side where we have the hump over the instrumentation, I’ve noticed a separation of the leather from the dash on the right side. It’s obvious there wasn’t enough glue used in the manufacturing process, so now the dash top needs to be replaced. I’ve had similar issues on another vehicle before, and the whole dash needed to be removed, so they could replace the top portion. Oy…

Hopefully, there are no more issues to come. I know the dealership is getting tired of seeing my face, and the feeling is mutual... Has anyone had similar issues, or do you want to share anything completely different? Other than the trunk leak, everything has been cosmetic. But still, it’s an annoyance on an otherwise excellent vehicle.

Thanks for sharing!

Jeyaar456

Yes, cosmetic is the word, your dealer must love you, nope, I found the quality control is no worse or better than any other manufacturer.

Rain water falls into the trunk when you open it, the trunk lid doesn't close with a quiet thud more a like a loud crash and there's a rattle somewhere behind the info-screen, but I'm not bothered by such small things if I'm honest.

jesse.srq

Jeyaar456 - I agree with you that quality control is no worse or better from one manufacturer to the other, but it doesn't make it right when QC goes south. No matter the brand... And you're right, the problems you have are of no real concern. Heck, I have the same trunk crash and a weird rattle too, but "raindrops" were not the issue in my trunk. There was an actual leak that caused a considerable amount of water to puddle in the trunk during the rainy season where I live. No big deal. I caught it before any damage could occur.

Yes, a bubbling dash on a year-old vehicle is cosmetic, but it could actually be more serious than a bubble would suggest. If something like this were to happen out of warranty and worsen which is quite possible, it would be a huge bill for anyone to swallow. It's good to have a place where we can have these discussions and to see if others have experienced similar issues or maybe something completely different, and my hope is that these problems are isolated to just my vehicle. With all of this said, I'm thankful that I'm seeing these issues while still under warranty and I hope I see no more...

Todor

Sofia-Bulgaria
Most of it happens pretty early under warranty.
I've only found a spare slow open assembly for the glove box inside the dashboard while replacing the cabin filter. And my headlights once had condensed water on the inside that disappeared by itself in a day.
Other than that, I have the occasional rough 2-3 shift at very light throttle, that I track down to oil viscosity and/or calibration. The fact it doesn't appear when cold or sometimes at all tells me it's not mechanical.
I can hear some noise from the sunroof at precisely little above freeing. But maybe that broke-in and went away.
Sometimes I have detected some typical Di missfiring at prolonged idling. Change of the gas station and a can of BG44 maybe fixed that.

Generally less problematic than a 15 S500, just for comparison.

Apart of defects that are virtually absent in my 17 3.0 Reserve, here are my other complaints:
The 20+ kg-m wheel nut torque scares me.
Battery seems small, at least the OE one (58Ah), also current draw at accessory power on seems too high.
Tire sizes are something I don't like. 245/40/20 on 8.5x20 wheels is small and too low sidewall. 255/45/19 is OK, but why on 8x19 wheels?
Brakes could have been a little more high end for such a big and fast car.

Bottom line, exemplary car, little on the sporty side of ride for a big car on bumpy roads, but no harshness. On nice roads exemplary.
Again, what is to be underlined is that on bumpy roads, it bumps less than a 15 S500, but has a tad more harshness.

So, overall, it's exactly where it is supposed to be.

Todor

Sofia-Bulgaria
Spoke too soon. After two very rainy dais, the rear left outside door handle malfunctioned. Initially it did it intermittently as if it doesn't detect the remote in my pocket. Now completely refusing to open the door from outside. The latch works fine for now. Works from inside.

What I forgot is that of the four outside handles, the rear left was the only one with working illumination which still works... illuminating the non functioning handle.

jesse.srq

Todor - Thanks for sharing! I too have a bit of a clunky gear change under light throttle, but mine is 1 - 2 only when it's cold. After warm-up, there is no issue. I agree with you on your observations. Tires are a bit on the skinny side, but I think I read somewhere that 255s can be used on the 20" rims? And the battery is the same size as the one I had in my Fusion Sport with fewer accessories if memory serves correct... Brakes can be beefier too but I feel like I'm nitpicking at this point.

I have to say it sounds like you have some concerning door handle issues. I remember a post on this site stating similar issues... I hope others will not experience the same.

At the end of that day, we drive an excellent vehicle that really stands out from the crowd in design and has superb road manors. I hope that my QC issues will iron out and all will be good!

Side note - It breaks my heart to see that Ford is just giving up and washing their hands of this car and so many others to make room for more silly crossovers and SUVs... I often wonder if they know just how many loyal customers they have just alienated with their decision.

OmegaLincoln

Side note - It breaks my heart to see that Ford is just giving up and washing their hands of this car and so many others to make room for more silly crossovers and SUVs... I often wonder if they know just how many loyal customers they have just alienated with their decision.

I agree. But apparently there wasn't enough of us. I still miss the MKS

Todor

Sofia-Bulgaria
My hypothesis on the discontinuation of the Continental is that there is not enough room for gasoline particulate filters. Di engines turned out to produce some soot and fine dust particles. It's latest ULEV and Euro-6 for 2017, but those have sub standards going on like a, b, c, D, etc. And new ULEV and Euro-7 arre coming. SUV's with the same engines have more room and can accommodate additional GPF's.

As for the handles. In my despair, I called Lincoln consierge line to ask for some ways of getting new handles hoping for an e-mail or post address to send my claim. To my surprise, they pretty swiftly found their Bulgarian (EU state) representative, gave me phone number and web site: Ford.bg and said our local Ford dealer was on the Lincoln list for warranty claims. On Monday we'll see whether Ford Bulgaria knows that.

As for the model, after almost 15 years and counting of SUV ownership of a Land Cruiser, I'm pretty much fed up with SUV's. Enormous luggage space means enormous luggage hauling at home and at the hotel. Sitting position can never be comfortable in a SUV and they are slow, inefficient and expensive to maintain. Babies and toddlers only need the big stroller for a year or so. The Continental can still accommodate two adults, two children and several pairs of ski's.

As for the handles, I'm pretty sure they can be DIY'd perfectly and I can bet it will take me and a decent mechanic less time to sort them out than any dealership.

255/40/20 on the stock 8.5x20 would be the perfect tire, stays within the diameter of 255/45/19 and retains all scrub radiuses and suspension geometry.

Last edited:

jhartz

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Virginia Beach, VA
I am betting you are right. On my 2017, the right rear door would not open from the inside: about two minutes to pull the handle off and reseat the connector which either vibrated loose or the dealer didn't install correctly when they switched out all four handles.

As an aside, still haven't got Bambi Killer back from the body shop: first, couldn't find a replacement shutter system for the condenser and radiator, now an alternator fault (which is strange since I had no issue driving it home from Chapel Hill all beat up). Suggested to the body shop more likely a loose connection from the rebuild. But they are still trying to find a new alternator.

2020 is working flawlessly. A late September build, finally seasoned enough to allow waxing hood and trunk.

bo3adsa

hmm...

less than 3 weeks old new 2019 Continental with a whole in the thermostat (yes the metal part) leaked all my coolant.

- mic drop-

Boonrag

I have a 2019 Black Label with a few issues. The passenger seat rattles on less than smooth roads. I have a gap on the right side of the glove compartment and the transmission has a rough shift from park to drive when on a slight incline. I hope service can come through next week.

Todor

Sofia-Bulgaria
I have a 2019 Black Label with a few issues. The passenger seat rattles on less than smooth roads. I have a gap on the right side of the glove compartment and the transmission has a rough shift from park to drive when on a slight incline. I hope service can come through next week.
The out of park issue is due to the parking ring and locking pin system. You can experience the same with any automatic parked on incline without parking brake.
The rattling passenger seat is due to driving with upper back part in the forward extended position. It won't rattle with a passenger or if it is retracted.
Two issues fixed :D
If the gap is about or less than half an inch and is between the closed glove box door and the closed passenger door, then you don't have a gap.

Lincoln should be employing me :D

BTW, exterior door handles (GD9Z-5426605-ADPTM) are between 114 and 200$ new. The reluctant ford dealer is on the opposite part of my city. In order to have my claim honored I have to spend probably a full working day in negotiations and threats. Then bring the car to them, go back to work, wait several business days, then go to them and collect the car. Every move is associated with waiting, explanations and paperwork.
On the other hand, door disassembly takes 5-10 minutes. Taking care and photos - 30 minutes one way - the two bolts holding the handle included. Two-ways it will be an hour. Ordering the door handle will be like 15 minutes with DHL and it will arrive at my office. Total cost with shipping: 400$ including labor and parts. Parts alone and labor written off to recreational activity - not more than $250. Alternative: several working days and taxi bills, plus communicating to ignorant people (nerves) - too lazy to calculate, but significantly more. I have the same attitude to car insurance for chips and dents, I go to the paint shop in my free time, get touch up paint and materials and/or go to the PDR service and drink coffee for an hour. Thus preserving my insurance stats as well.

Boonrag

The out of park issue is due to the parking ring and locking pin system. You can experience the same with any automatic parked on incline without parking brake.
The rattling passenger seat is due to driving with upper back part in the forward extended position. It won't rattle with a passenger or if it is retracted.
Two issues fixed :D
If the gap is about or less than half an inch and is between the closed glove box door and the closed passenger door, then you don't have a gap.

Lincoln should be employing me :D

BTW, exterior door handles (GD9Z-5426605-ADPTM) are between 114 and 200$ new. The reluctant ford dealer is on the opposite part of my city. In order to have my claim honored I have to spend probably a full working day in negotiations and threats. Then bring the car to them, go back to work, wait several business days, then go to them and collect the car. Every move is associated with waiting, explanations and paperwork.
On the other hand, door disassembly takes 5-10 minutes. Taking care and photos - 30 minutes one way - the two bolts holding the handle included. Two-ways it will be an hour. Ordering the door handle will be like 15 minutes with DHL and it will arrive at my office. Total cost with shipping: 400$ including labor and parts. Parts alone and labor written off to recreational activity - not more than $250. Alternative: several working days and taxi bills, plus communicating to ignorant people (nerves) - too lazy to calculate, but significantly more. I have the same attitude to car insurance for chips and dents, I go to the paint shop in my free time, get touch up paint and materials and/or go to the PDR service and drink coffee for an hour. Thus preserving my insurance stats as well.
Blagodarya ti Todor. Yes Lincoln should hire you. I will do your suggested remedy to my problem. I understand the rough shift on a steep incline but mine happens on minor ones. My 56 year old Cadillac shifts smooth on the same incline outside the garage.

Todor

Sofia-Bulgaria
Blagodarya ti Todor. Yes Lincoln should hire you. I will do your suggested remedy to my problem. I understand the rough shift on a steep incline but mine happens on minor ones. My 56 year old Cadillac shifts smooth on the same incline outside the garage.
For the out of parking shift we are a little at a disadvantage, the tooth ring is too crude with few rather right angled teeth, seen that on diagrams. It makes me apply the parking brake before my office where there is a hardly noticeable incline.

If the rest is like I assume, I will be very glad. :)

mempholowe

It has been six months since I purchased my 2019 Lincoln Continental Black Label with the 3.0L, and I love every minute I spend in it – When it’s not in the shop… I must admit that I’ve got a few issues, and I wonder if anyone here in our Lincoln community has had any of the same.

I first noticed a paint defect on the driver door crease just above the Continental badge, right where the sheet metal creases at a flat angle. The dealership took just one look at the blemish and repaired it under warranty. No questions asked.

My second trip to the dealership was in September when I noticed about half a gallon of water sloshing around in the spare tire well. It was obviously fixed under warranty. The car was expected to be in the shop for a while as the weather seal was on backorder. Luckily, they found one at a dealership in Texas, so I got my car back sooner than expected.

Now my 3rd trip to the shop will be for a bubble that I’ve noticed in the dash. In the area on the driver’s side where we have the hump over the instrumentation, I’ve noticed a separation of the leather from the dash on the right side. It’s obvious there wasn’t enough glue used in the manufacturing process, so now the dash top needs to be replaced. I’ve had similar issues on another vehicle before, and the whole dash needed to be removed, so they could replace the top portion. Oy…

Hopefully, there are no more issues to come. I know the dealership is getting tired of seeing my face, and the feeling is mutual... Has anyone had similar issues, or do you want to share anything completely different? Other than the trunk leak, everything has been cosmetic. But still, it’s an annoyance on an otherwise excellent vehicle.

Thanks for sharing!
I purchased a 2017 Lincoln Continental Reserve in October (3 months ago) and I've also enjoyed mine but yesterday after not driving it for 3 days it won't start and gives me a message that says "System Off to Reserve Battery". I can't find anything in the manual that addresses that message so I guess it's tow time.

bbf2530

I purchased a 2017 Lincoln Continental Reserve in October (3 months ago) and I've also enjoyed mine but yesterday after not driving it for 3 days it won't start and gives me a message that says "System Off to Reserve Battery". I can't find anything in the manual that addresses that message so I guess it's tow time.

Hi mempho. How were you trying to start the car? If the car won't start with you in it while you are pressing the starter button, then it is most likely the battery.

If it won't start using the LincolnWay phone app, that is normal when the car has gone into "Sleep mode". Once the vehicle has gone into sleep mode, certain LincolnWay app features do not work. Remote start is one of them.

If your vehicle is still within the 4 year/50,000 mile New Car Warranty, the cause will be diagnosed and repaired. If it is a dead battery, it will be replaced.

Good luck.

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
I think your problem is a discharged battery. I cannot see the message you posted in the owner manual or the service manual. There is an electrical system monitoring module called Body Control Module (BCM) that monitors the battery electrical state of charge through a current sensor mounted in a specific orientation to the battery negative terminal. It is possible that your car has a battery drain beyond the normal when parked for a period of time. The recommendation is to charge the battery. The charger red (+) cable goes to the battery positive terminal as is customary, but the charger black (-) cable must go to an engine or body ground (often recommended to reduce sparking and battery explosions). It must not go to the battery negative terminal since it would interfere with the current sensor mounted there. Note that the battery negative terminal should not have anything attached that is not part of the original assembly. You can use a voltmeter to check battery voltage using the engine ground and the red positive battery terminal.