• If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "1998 Town Car" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 1998 Town Car" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense...

Match trans to car to verify mileage?


Junior Member
Does the tag on a 4R70W have any part of the car's VIN on it?
As in verifying miles on a used unit by tying it to the rest of a car.


Senior Member
Ottawa Ontario Canada
I don't think you can relate the trans to a VIN. On the driver side of the case is the casting # that includes the date. On the passenger side is a tag which identifies the trans, copy attached.4R70W trans id tag.jpg
I have looked around a bit and cannot find any info to link the trans to the vehicle. There are several 4R70W transmission cases, some have two bolt starters and others have 3 bolt starters. So ensure you have the one that matches your car. I think you will be relying on the integrity of the seller that the trans is in good condition. A warranty is good, but there is a lot of hassle as I found out.

Good luck.