LSE with a manual?

Welcome to the busiest full-spectrum Lincoln community online!

Please join us! We'd really love to have you as a member...

DoubleJ

According to wikipedia, the LSE upgrade happened in 2002, and there were also some manual cars with the V6 built that year. Does anyone know of any LSE trim cars built with a Getrag 5 speed in them?

Also, curious since it's been something like 15 years since I drove one, but just how "sporty" is the LS? I have both a 2011 Town Car and a 2003 BMW 540, so I'd imagine the LS falls somewhere in between those for balancing "sportiness" and luxury. I bought the Town Car to help mitigate our terrible roads in CO, and it does that well, but it's mind numbingly boring to drive and I kinda hate it.

bbf2530

According to wikipedia, the LSE upgrade happened in 2002, and there were also some manual cars with the V6 built that year. Does anyone know of any LSE trim cars built with a Getrag 5 speed in them?

Also, curious since it's been something like 15 years since I drove one, but just how "sporty" is the LS? I have both a 2011 Town Car and a 2003 BMW 540, so I'd imagine the LS falls somewhere in between those for balancing "sportiness" and luxury. I bought the Town Car to help mitigate our terrible roads in CO, and it does that well, but it's mind numbingly boring to drive and I kinda hate it.

Hi DoubleJ. Not sure about your manual transmission question.

Concerning where the LS stands in regards to your 2011 Town Car and a 2003 BMW 540: There is a rather large amount of land between those two vehicles. But in the grand scheme of things, the LS would sit closer to the BMW than the Town Car in pretty much all parameters...size, handling, performance, ride etc.
Not saying it is an equal, just that it performs closer to the BMW than it does the Town Car in those parameters.

Good luck.

DoubleJ

I'm not sure there's any modern-ish car that's in the same category or even nearby as the Town Car. The other Panthers are close since they're the same platform, but even the big cars from Germany are riding on 20s and rubberbands with struts all around and all wheel drive and stuff. Lincoln did say the LS was basically aimed at BMW, so I'm guessing it was the 5 series they were taking a shot at due to the size....pretty high bar they set there. The lack of a V8/Manual is a big miss in my mind, but it seems people want cupholders instead of clutch pedals these days.

bbf2530

I'm not sure there's any modern-ish car that's in the same category or even nearby as the Town Car. The other Panthers are close since they're the same platform, but even the big cars from Germany are riding on 20s and rubberbands with struts all around and all wheel drive and stuff. Lincoln did say the LS was basically aimed at BMW, so I'm guessing it was the 5 series they were taking a shot at due to the size....pretty high bar they set there. The lack of a V8/Manual is a big miss in my mind, but it seems people want cupholders instead of clutch pedals these days.

Hi DoubleJ. Yes, there is no car that compares to a Town Car nowadays when discussing a smooth, floaty ride. But that is not what most potential buyers/owners wanted anymore, so it was discontinued in 2011. Now of course, some buyers again want a floaty ride, now that they can't buy one new. ;)

And yes, manual transmission cars just do not sell in the US any more. At least not enough to justify design, engineering and production for mass produced vehicles. Even many far more performance oriented cars have eliminated manual transmissions.

And yes, it was the BMW and other European "Sport Sedans" (Audi, Mercedes etc.) they were taking a shot at with the LS. The LS (which used the Thunderbird underpinnings) was designed and marketed to US buyers who wanted European Sport Sedan performance and handling without the European Sport Sedan price.

Good luck.

Jhensley1607

They did have a manual option in the LS in 2002 and 2003 and then it was dropped. I got to go to a special Lincoln invite to drive them when they came out at Arlington Racecourse, back to back against the competitors at the time (Mercedes, BMW, others) and the stick was nice. Too bad it was only offered with the V6. I think the take rate on the stick was very low, like 1% so you won't see many of them.