• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "1998 Town Car" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 1998 Town Car" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Looking for a Town Car

bmwloco

Selling my Audi TT Quatrro Coupe; once sold, I'm looing for a 2000-2007 (US model, NOT Canadian) Town Car.

Love the TT, but... I need a better people hauler. 2 hours away, we have a condo on a lake. Can't haul the dogs in a TT, but I can't think of a better ride through the mountains (and happily 4 lane except for the last 12 miles). Hopefully I'll be part of the TC community soon. My old man used to drive Town Cars, and I have always had a place in my heart for 'em. Not likely to find a full size Riveria he used to drive...

All2kool

Portland, OR
You should revise your search to the 2004-2011 model years. The 2003 model year had drive train issues that seemed to be corrected for 2004 and beyond. And well, the 1998-2002 years are just fugly.

I've also heard the rumors that when production moved to Canada for the 2008 model year but have yet to hear from an owner that agrees with that assessment.

wolf_walker

2nd what All2kool said. That's about the size of it.
I wouldn't turn down a nice later model, but they weren't quite
as nice inside, little design changes mostly.

You should drive a couple of these before you buy, they aren't under-powered exactly, but
they certainly aren't overflowing with it. I could see a lot of shifting happening in mountains
if that sorta thing bothers you. Don't expect a v8 7 series.

bmwloco

I have a lot of experience with older Lincolns, my old man hand 'em all. Mark 7, Riveria (big last one) etc. Not looking for a race car, just a safe stable cruiser that won't go sideways in the wind.

All2kool

Portland, OR
And well, the 1998-2002 years are just fugly.
Before I traded in my 1996 Carter Edition for the 2004 Signature Series, I drove a few 1998-2002 models. I was surprised at how beat down they had gotten in less than 120K miles. I bought my 2004 with 211K miles on it and it could have passed for a 40K mile car. Even still when I sold it 4 years later after adding just another 18K miles.

bmwloco

I think I may have found it; just scoped it out; right mileage, right year. One flat tire. Otherwise very straight, very clean. Rode an old beater BMW motorcycle so no one bothered me ;)

wolf_walker

Big soft cars usually aren't the most wind resistant in my experience. Lot of surface area. I'm in Oklahoma so we get that prairie wind
thing going, bit of a pita to drive in if it's crossways.

bmwloco

Oh, I know, I rode a BMW R80G/S across Kansas once... I was blown to the left the entire way across. No, I just mean no wallowing pig. I'll upgrade shocks and do Michelin tires for sure.

wolf_walker

cop car sway bars help, with the 3rd gen, ford played musical chairs with shocks/springs through most of its run, I have a list of springs and damper PN's somewhere that I spent a while putting together. All in all, they ride much stiffer than the previous cars with less roll, and the 06 (i think) up they softened them up again a bit after complains from 03-05 or 6. My 04 rides "ok", but it's not at all as nice as my 90 was for example. But it brakes and handles worlds better. Depends on what you want I guess. They were trying to stay relevant and attract new buyers that were into sports sedans while not losing the traditional customers.

bmwloco

Sigh, the TC I want still sits... and the longer it does, the cheaper it'll get. Sooner or later someone will buy my TT....

bmwloco

Well, now the fun begins!

Audi TT sold yesterday. On a trip, but once home, I'm going to make and offer on '06 TC....

Last edited:

HTML