Looking at a 2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited, but I drive a 1998 TC, should I upgrade?

wolf_walker

I think what bothers me most about these cars, and I know this is getting off topic, is how CLOSE they were to excellent, world class full
size sedans. Apparently unlike horseshoes and hand grenades close was not good enough, the sales tanked, Cadillac kept on, the euro and
even asians and (ugh) SUV's took over. They really needed a 4th gen Town Car about 2007. On about a 600lb diet and with 150 more HP
and slightly less generic interior while maintaining the solid feel and most importantly reliability and sense of class. I think the panther chassis had it in it with some modern engineering supporting it. Shame ford didn't go that way.
The LS wasn't a bad car and it proved that the Lincoln guys weren't ignorant to the passing of time and tech, but it was a hand me down from
Jag and just never quite had the quality or stateliness a Lincoln should.
I'd still like to have one, but in general nobody even remembers the LS existed.
Everyone knows a Town Car, but knowing and being willing to buy were two different things it looks like.

It'll be interesting to see where the market goes with them as enthusiasts vehicles. I'm betting the lack of all the not easily
replicable plastic interior bits puts a lot of people off. Every single time I pull a door panel on mine it means a trip
to the workbench to fix broken plastic and reenforce and repair things.

I think what bothers me most about these cars, and I know this is getting off topic, is how CLOSE they were to excellent, world class full size sedans.
I guess. I don't know. What qualifies as a world class full size sedan? The car that will likely replace my Town Car is a Lexus LS460.

I have no idea what Infinity or Acura is offering. All I see from them on the road lately are bland, blingy, CUVs and SUVs. Frankly, given the problems that both Honda and Nissan have had with their transmissions I don't too much care what they were offering in that period. Unless it is one that has a long-term proven record of stone ax reliability - pass.

BMW, Mercedes? I've always heard if you cannot afford a new one you cannot afford a used one. Audi, maybe? I have no idea what would be the "modern equivalent" there.

Who gets to decide what is world class?

Truth is, I am just happy with a smooth, quiet ride down a long interstate. And the Town Car is the last of a breed. The Last Dinosaur. It wasn't going to win any design awards but it offered plenty of smooth power for your daily driving conditions, features that most people expected from a luxury ride and some that were fairly advanced for the time. I am in love with my rain sensing windshield wipers and my auto-dimming rear view mirror. This is the kind of stuff that makes an early-morning commute so much nicer. Just drive. Don't worry about the small stuff - the car has that for you - just.....drive.

Frankly, I don't think I can see how any vehicle could do my commute more comfortably and economically than the LTC.

They really needed a 4th gen Town Car about 2007. On about a 600lb diet and with 150 more HP and slightly less generic interior while maintaining the solid feel and most importantly reliability and sense of class.
Lexus did make them. The LS 4xx series. My next car (backup, emergency ride) will probably be an old minivan for the interior capacity. That's a huge amount of space.

The car after that will probably be in about five years - to replace the Town Car. I can figure at that point Town Cars in the condition in which I bought mine will be favored as collectible by a (cough) small group of people and would be ill-advised as a 90-mile daily because of design limitations. 20-25 year old plastic? Old sensors. Etc. A great vehicle for a car show, but maybe not for a daily 100-miler.

The next one will probably be a 2010-ish Lexus LS 460. I like a rear wheel drive, V8 sedan. It's just nice to drive.

It'll be interesting to see where the market goes with them as enthusiasts vehicles. I'm betting the lack of all the not easily replicable plastic interior bits puts a lot of people off. Every single time I pull a door panel on mine it means a trip
to the workbench to fix broken plastic and reenforce and repair things.
I dunno. It's the end of an era so I'm sure there will be a market of some sort for them for some time to come but I think it's a limited market. Who is there left who would feel any nostalgia for these old boats? I'm 54 right now (55 in August). I don't know how much love there is in my cohort for these rides. We were kids when they ruled the roads. My son's generation? I dunno.....

I guess I'll just enjoy mine and try to keep it as economical as possible over the next few years. I'm anal about record keeping as well so I'm going to know just about to the penny how much I have spent by the time the car goes off to it's next owner. It will be an interesting exercise to see how it compares to the 2004 Toyota Highlander I was driving and which I relentlessly abused for the last four years that I owned it.

wolf_walker

I don't do new cars, so I've no idea what's available at all much past the late 90's to be honest.
Just not interested, least not long as I can put a car on a lift and spin a wrench anyway.
The LS400 was and is a fantastic car, the original one and an iteration or two into it at least.
They gave Mercedes fits and really set them on their ear for decades.
Only sin of those cars is that they were so good they were boring, absolutely bland cars.
Very, very nice appliances. One of these days I'll buy one and see what can be done
with them.

Purchase price ceases to be such a thing 20 years or more down the road, so it's easy for me to compare
a Mercedes or such to a Town Car. Less so when writing the check for one brand new back then.
I try to remind myself of that when comparing stuff, but at this point they all end up costing about
the same to me.

HTML