• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "1998 Town Car" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 1998 Town Car" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Lincoln NewBee

jimdanos

After driving my '09 Grand Marquis for 5 years, I fell in love with an '07 TC (31k miles) to replace my wife's 07 Ford Five Hundred.

It rides like floating on a cushion of air.

Currently taking care of a few minor kinks you'd find on a 14 year old car, but I'm loving it.

JJ SMNOW

Welcome abord.
Same feelings of the difference in the much more quite ride compaired after 8 years in a 2004 merc gm with 50,000 miles ,had 17000 when I bought it.
If the TC a perfect 10, than the GM is a 7.
How much did you pay?
Bought my 07 tc in jan 2019 for $7900 with 27,456 miles from a private owner.

wolf_walker

Are the later 3rd gen Town Cars softer sprung/damped than the early ones? I had a 90 and some older ones and the "floating" descriptor works for them for sure, even when they are worn, but not my 04. It feels like a heavy, underpowered BMW 7 series of the era. And it still has airbags, nothing worn out, pretty new Firestone tires, etc.
It's not bad, it rides very well compared to the vast majority of non high end vehicles, but they feel like they certainly gave up some ride quality for the sake of handling/braking/stability in the 3rd gen. The original sales literature made a thing of the monotube dampers and stiffened chassis and such as well, which are all modern-ish not performance exactly, but decidedly not comfort oriented. I'd like to drive some other examples of these cars and compare. It's also possible I guess that it's the abominable condition of Oklahoma roads.

jimdanos

Are the later 3rd gen Town Cars softer sprung/damped than the early ones? I had a 90 and some older ones and the "floating" descriptor works for them for sure, even when they are worn, but not my 04. It feels like a heavy, underpowered BMW 7 series of the era. And it still has airbags, nothing worn out, pretty new Firestone tires, etc.
It's not bad, it rides very well compared to the vast majority of non high end vehicles, but they feel like they certainly gave up some ride quality for the sake of handling/braking/stability in the 3rd gen. The original sales literature made a thing of the monotube dampers and stiffened chassis and such as well, which are all modern-ish not performance exactly, but decidedly not comfort oriented. I'd like to drive some other examples of these cars and compare. It's also possible I guess that it's the abominable condition of Oklahoma roads.
We have pretty crappy roads here in Louisiana. Our 07 TC is like riding on a cushion of air. Only 32 k miles, though.

wolf_walker

I can't imagine my 04 being that way, even at crawling along speeds you can faintly feel expansion joints and such, the tires seem to be hard as a rock compared to an old 70 or 75 series 15" from an older model, the suspension isn't even involved in that sort of thing. Everything in the rear of mine is new, front got a clean bill of health from the alignment shop the other week but I suspect it has non-factory springs and dampers in front which might be contributing. It don't hold a candle to my 90 ride wise whatever the cause.

wimpy

Charlotte, NC
Minor ride quality change IMHO for better handling. Some ride quality differential vs the older (pre-98), due to lower profile tires which also equate to better handling. As far as ride, in my limo service 3 LTCs, for most passengers is impressive.

?, how is your 07, 14 years old.

jimdanos

Minor ride quality change IMHO for better handling. Some ride quality differential vs the older (pre-98), due to lower profile tires which also equate to better handling. As far as ride, in my limo service 3 LTCs, for most passengers is impressive.

?, how is your 07, 14 years old.
My bad. Common core math?🙄

wolf_walker

Everyone that rides in my 04 compliments the ride quality, I think they all have a really low bar set by most common vehicles.
I've had 70's Lincolns, and Jaguars. No contest where the ride quality is there.

04TC

Tampa, FL
Smooth ride: 90's > 98-02 > 03-10 > '11
Handling: 90's < 98-02 < 03-10 < '11

'03-'10 were all the same stock (air) suspension. '11 they made with regular non-air suspension. By now, a lot of Town Cars will no longer have the original air suspension parts because of age, as the air suspensions usually start to have issues around 100K miles.

wimpy

Charlotte, NC
'11 they made with regular non-air suspension. By now, a lot of Town Cars will no longer have the original air suspension parts because of age, as the air suspensions usually start to have issues around 100K miles.
Have a 2011 Executive L w/50K, it has air bags. For less than $100, Suncore has a pair of bags & solenoids on Amazon.

wolf_walker

Air bags are not all created equally, the internal design effects what is for lack of a better term, the spring rate.
The factory Marauder had different rear bags with a higher rate, externally identical, internal differences.
Unless they are reman'd stock units, and presumably needing to also use rubber with a similar durometer rating
or such even at that, there's no telling what you are getting. I have Arnott on my 04, it had crappy cheaper aftermarket
on it when I got it, the suncores I bought first were ill-made and wouldn't fit. It works fine but who's to say if the ride
quality is equal to stock. I wouldn't object too much to putting factory springs on it at this point, but I don't see even for an
11 TC a factory Town Car specific coil spring for the rear, and the fronts are commicaly priced.

I ordered current Motorcraft rear shocks once as well, they were stamped Monroe OESpectrum in a ford box with a ford
barcode sticker, they were also dramatically softer on compression and rebound than the stock ford units on my car that
were installed somewhere around 60K miles (220K at the time), but the ones on the car both seemed to have equal damping
and rebound by hand and showed no signs of leaking so I re-installed them. I have been told more than once that an air spring needs
more damping than a coil spring, hence the overly stiff factory shock.

Whatever ford is selling for stock dampers now, ain't what these cars had stock, so other than the few time capsule examples
out there it's hard to say how they rode originally at this point far as I can tell. It would be awesome if someone with one of these super
low miles cars could have a shock and strut tested by someone with the equipment to see what the damping rates are so we could
try to find a replacement that accurately mimic them. As it is the endless number of threads on countless forums of people complaining
about ride quality, it could be a million things, and could very well not have a solution.
I think I'm going to put KYB's on the 04 just for the sake of something that matches all around and is of known reasonable
quality, I just don't trust monroe or gabriel's bottom dollar approach. A $35 shock is not to be applauded, it's to be questioned, imo.
All I've heard out of KYB users is that while stiffer than stock for sure, it's not unpleasant.
I'm concerned with whether they are valved for an air spring or coil spring in the rear, I suspect a coil, we'll see.
I wish Bilstein made comfort of B4's or whatever they call them now for this car, I'd buy them.

All in all it's a huge ball of annoyance and reminds me of why I've been driving european cars for the last twenty years.
Some things may be overly expensive, but most maintenance and wear parts are reasonable in the buyers market internet age we're
in, and you can at least be assured of getting an OE quality part.

wimpy

Charlotte, NC
Limo service, multiple Ls, 2 limos. I've used SunCore for replacement bags multiple times. I am unable to discern a difference in ride quality between the OE bags and the replacements, but I've only put ~500K on 4 LTC Ls.

wolf_walker

I bought suncor bags first off, the socket the solenoid fits in was cast wrong on both of them, mangled the o-ring if you managed to get the thing seated all the way in. No amount of lube would help, they didn't argue a bit when I returned them for a refund so I suspect it was a known bad batch.
The arnott everything fit perfectly. Both have been disassembled and observed to be made differently than stock, the design of the inner piston effects
spring rate, it's really fascinating and I'd have never guessed it was a thing till I read up on air bag design.
I've run across a number of people that poneyed up for the genuine ford bags and 4x the price and reported a marked difference in ride
quality. I'm not willing to spend $500 on airbags myself so I'll never know, but it's been some mighty persnickety folks with wide wallets
that have reported such more than once. FWIW
My 04 is fine on reasonable tarmac, but as broken as it generally is in Oklahoma, it's mighty rough.
I grew up in NC, good roads out there, far cry from the garbage here.

04TC

Tampa, FL
Have a 2011 Executive L w/50K, it has air bags. For less than $100, Suncore has a pair of bags & solenoids on Amazon.
Thanks for the info. Maybe it was the non extended versions that came with non air suspension for 2011? Because I could have sworn I read that for the last model year Lincoln made Town Cars without the air suspension.

HTML