Lincoln Lemon Swap Experience

mapkos13

I’m about to work with the Lincoln Concierge and request a swap in accordance with Ohio‘s law.

can anyone share their experience with this process? I’m curious how easy it was, what needed to be done, if they pushed back against the request, how long it took to complete the swap, etc.

Thanks in advance for sharing.

LincolnFanFl

Hi,

Of course, I can only speak in regards to my experience I had here in Florida. I leased a 2020 Ford Explorer ST back in March. After a couple of thousand miles, it developed a loud rattling noise upon cold engine start. After several attempts to have that issue fixed which failed due to missing parts/wrong diagnosis, my dealer provided me with an official Ford-number to call in order to open a claim. That itself only took a few minutes. I provided some info and answered a few questions. Right after the call, I got a confirmation e-mail with my case-#. I was told that my case would now be reviewed. A few days later (less than a week), I was notified that my case was approved.

The entire process, however, takes about a month. You have to provide paperwork, the buyback is calculated based on state-law and once you approve to that and sign it, the dealer receives a bunch of papers you need to sign when dropping off the vehicle. That was also when and where I collected my check.

As I said, you know pretty soon if they will accept a buyback and I assume it also matters if you are planning on getting another Ford/Lincoln as replacement. To my surprise (even my dealers did not know this would be possible), I was even approved for a new lease on my Lincoln before the Ford lease was paid off (I simply wanted that particular Aviator since the incentives were excellent).

So my case was opened mid-November and my Ford lease was officially paid off last week.

mapkos13

Thanks for sharing. So you actually had it bought back because it was an Explorer and you were moving into an Aviator? I assume there was not a swap option in this case due to that but maybe I’m wrong?

I really love my Aviator so the fact that I am just looking for a replacement vs. a check may make things easier. Not sure if the time it will take will be any less or not but thanks again for sharing.

LincolnFanFl

You're welcome!

It simply made sense financially. The check I got combined with the incentives resulted in a monthly payment that was only $150/month higher. Considering that I went from a $60k vehicle to a $90k vehicle, I thought that was a good move.

Maybe this helps. It was the first message I received after the vehicle was declared a lemon. Option Two or Substitution of Collateral might be what you're looking for. I am not sure though if that option is actually better than what I did. Depends on the circumstances of your current vehicle and what replacement you're aiming at as well as incentives, deals etc.:

Option One: Repurchase

· Ford Motor Company [FMC] will pay off your current lienholder after the vehicle is surrendered.

· You will be reimbursed for any down payments and payments, minus usage, negative equity, late fees, aftermarket contracts, items, or accessories (if they don’t fall within the refund).

· Any payments made on the vehicle that are not included in the Repurchase figures will be refunded once the buyback is complete.

· You will remain responsible for any loan payments until the buyback is complete.

· If you choose to accept the Repurchase Option, a private offer will be provided to you which will allow for a discount on a new Ford vehicle (exclusions apply), if you choose to purchase another.

Cash & Keep Option:

· This option would allow you to keep the vehicle, if it is repaired and Ford would offer a lump sum calculated off of the repurchase price. All existing warranties would remain in effect and you would continue on with any loan payments. The value of the vehicle would be retained if you were to use it as a trade-in or sell it out right in the future. There would be no CarFax indicators that it was submitted as a lemon.

· With the lump sum that would be provided, an extended warranty could be purchased. If, in the future, you decide to claim the vehicle as a lemon- you can still do so but the lump sum amount would be taken out of any refund that would be received.

Option Two: Replacement

· Ford Motor Company [FMC] will pay off your current lienholder after the vehicle is surrendered.

· You will pick out a new Ford vehicle.
(It does not have to be the same model, however it does need to be a new vehicle)

· You will remain responsible for the current loan balance, usage, and upgrade charges.

· If your vehicle is New, the upgrade cost would be the difference between the MSRP of your current vehicle and the new vehicle.

· If your vehicle is Pre-Owned, the upgrade cost would be the difference between the base price of your current vehicle and the memo invoice of the new vehicle.

· No rebates or incentive are allowed

Substitution of Collateral

· This option is only available if your lender supports this type of transaction.

· You will keep your current loan and everything regarding your loan will remain the same. Same payments, same due date, same everything.

· You will be responsible for any usage, upgrade charges, and other out-of-pocket amounts. These amounts will be paid at the time of surrender in certified funds.

· There is no payoff associated with a substitution.

Notice

· If you are considering a substitution or new-finance replacement, I highly suggest finding the vehicle you want to get into.

· Only one vehicle can be chosen to calculate replacement figures.

· We can assist with this process if this is the option you choose to go with.

Documents

In order to continue, I will request the following documents:

· Copy of Vehicle Registration (Must be current)

· Copy of Driver License

· Bill of Sale or Finance Contract from the original purchase of the vehicle

· Payment History with breakdown of interest and principle

· Payoff information with per diem and good through date

· Copy of title (if customer held state/paid off) front & back

Final Remarks

Turnaround time is about 30 days.

mapkos13

This is very, very helpful and provides me with some lead time to think through which option I might take.

I wonder how they calculate the cash to keep option? If it’s enough to purchase a warranty I‘m guessing a couple thousand.

FYI- my situation:

2020 Aviator purchased new with 400 miles mid-October
Currently 3,000 miles
Two recurring issues in the 2 1/2 months since I’ve owned it yet to be fixed
The vehicle has been at the dealers for 33 days so far and was dropped off again today so likely tack on another week or more.

Because one issue is an engine issue I am strongly considering asking for this process to begin.

LincolnFanFl

I'd say google a bit in regards to the exact calculations based on your State. It's a bit different based on that. In Florida, it's a formula containing MSRP, the amount you already paid and mileage at point of buyback. In California, it's the mileage where the issue that caused the buyback first appeared so that makes a difference. As I said, simply google what applies in Ohio.