Lincoln Deleted Options

Welcome to the busiest full-spectrum Lincoln community online!

Please join us! We'd really love to have you as a member...

peterk9

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Mar 29, 2014
Russell, Ontario, CANADA
My Lincoln
2020 Aviator Reserve
What a shame dealers are still so sleezy.
In all fairness, not all dealers should be lumped into a single critique. Over the years, mine have been excellent to work with.

Peter

Pete@STAP

Jan 2, 2008
Ontario
My Lincoln
2023 Aviator Reserve 201A
I opened up a complaint with the Customer Relationship Center. They asked me to reach out to the dealership. I said I wasn't sure I had enough foul weather gear, but I recognized that's a reasonable action of mine to take. After 4 phone attempts to speak with the salesman or sales manager, I had the next person just make sure one of them called me.

The salesman just called. I succinctly reminded the salesman of the details, advised him they sent most of the difference in the recent check but still had around $120 to go. I volunteered to put both contracts in an email to make it easy. He said he would have accounting research it. He did NOT push back when I told that that his statement of the revised X-plan price prevailing was incorrect. Hopefully that's all they need. We'll see what happens.

What a shame dealers are still so sleezy.
Thats why this is coming down the path. Looks good on them, but they'll remain open for service work and will surely find new ways of chipping away on our wallets.

inmanlanier

Jan 17, 2022
In all fairness, not all dealers should be lumped into a single critique. Over the years, mine have been excellent to work with.

Peter

You are correct. I should not generalize. Sorry for that.

I've had 2 'new car' dealership experiences in the last 5 years. One was despicable, this one not quite that bad but for something they do day in, day out, you think they can stop the nonsense and just do it the way it should be. I lose credibility of their ethics when there are numerous games played.

Action

Aug 12, 2005
Phoenix, AZ 85008-1418
Not too surprised. Jim Farley has been very vocal as of late about dealerships making very large additional dealer mark (ADM) ups on new vehicles that are in short supply. A small amount of ADM can be absorbed by the market. However very large ADMs hurt the consumer and damage the market place in the long run. With reduced manufacturing capacity due to supply chain issues, dealers will add on additional mark up to take advantage of the market place issues.

Action

bbf2530

Oct 12, 2011
I have the printout from the order time where the X-plan price is clearly stated on the document. Our sales contract from then started with that price. The issue was that they revised the contract at the time of auto receipt based on the updated X-plan price from the invoice (which I saw). This change is what's in question.

The following is the excerpt from the X-Plan web page: https://www.fordpartner.com/partnerweb/jsp/howitworks/fordpartner_rules.htm#pricing

6. PRICING AND INCENTIVES
  • The New Vehicle Purchase Program customer is entitled to the price in effect at the time the vehicle was invoiced. Any money refunded to the dealer by Ford Motor Company or Lincoln Motor Company for price increases occurring after the order is submitted, but before shipment to the dealer, must be refunded to the customer.
The first sentence is not clear IMHO (if anything it infers to me after build, when the car is finally invoiced). Obviously when I ordered the car, there was a potential invoice price, but the order had not been processed so a real invoice had not yet been issued. Obviously after build there's an invoice. The second sentence then infers that Ford (in this case Lincoln) may give credit if it changed. I don't see crystal clear wording that the invoice price at the time of order is the one to be charged to the customer.

I called Concierge - they didn't know the policy so they transferred me to the X-Plan group. The X-plan folks then did confirm that the original invoice price as printed out applies, but then they stated some oddball caveat regarding IF there's a 'price protection' clause or program in place at the time (whatever that means).

I'll give the concierge a call tomorrow and file a complaint asking for the remainder of the difference to be sent to me. I'll keep everyone posted as to the outcome.

Hi inmanlanier. Yes, I realize what you are stating, and have dealt with this sort of fudging by Dealers in the past. When a vehicle is ordered, the X-Plan price on the VOC (and subsequent DORA) are the equivalent of the Invoiced X-Plan price on an in-stock vehicle. And an X-Plan buyer is entitled to price protection on that original order time pricing.

Or, as this passage states, "Any money refunded to the dealer by Ford Motor Company or Lincoln Motor Company for price increases occurring after the order is submitted, but before shipment to the dealer, must be refunded to the customer." It is not ambiguous.

These price increases occurred after your order was submitted, but before shipment to the Dealer. And the Dealer will never pay that increase in he first place, or be refunded that price increase, most likely before they "pay" for the vehicle. Again, it is not ambiguous.

Bottom line is you ae entitled to price protection on the original, ordered price.

Yes, shady Dealers will try to say you don't get price protection and blow a lot of smoke your way. And the issue is that Dealers are independent franchises, so it takes some work to finally get them to do the right thing.

Honest and dishonest Dealers all know this information and the rules. Honest Dealerships do the right thing in the first place. Dishonest Dealerships want customers to not know what they are entitled to and give up. So just don't give up.

Keep us updated and good luck.

EDIT-And I would add...If they keep trying to put you through the ringer, politely let them know they are taking the chance of losing a long term customer (while inferring your next purchase is planned within the next year, true or not). ;)
And if they keep it up, find another Lincoln Dealership for your next purchase.

Last edited: