Lincoln Continental Cancelled?

Administrator

Lincoln Fanatic
Staff member
It’s not something a Lincoln aficionado, or even anyone with a general appreciation for history, wants to hear, but sources with knowledge of Ford Motor Company’s product plans claim the Lincoln Continental is headed for the grave.

Speaking to Ford Authority, the sources claim Lincoln’s full-size flagship sedan won’t see a second generation, with parent company Ford choosing to pull the plug and discontinue the slow-selling model instead.

Weak sales and the high cost of developing the model seem to have played a role in the decision. The automaker invested over $1 billion to bring the model back to the market in late 2016, the sources say, and the model’s slow sales aren’t refilling the coffers.

If true, it’s not exactly a shock, as other vehicles built on the same CD4 platform —Ford’s Fusion and Lincoln’s MKZ — don’t seem to have a future, either. Ford hasn’t committed to the production of those vehicles after 2020, and recently halted the development program for the next-generation Fusion. Nor will any new Fusion hail from China or Europe, the company states. (The longer Continental rides atop a modified version of the CD4 platform.)

While some Fusions and MKZs undergo assembly in Mexico, the Continental is an all-American affair, rolling out of Michigan’s Flat Rock assembly plant.

Hope for a next-generation Continental sprang from Ford’s development of the modular, and very versatile, CD6 platform, which can be configured for front-, rear-, or all-wheel-drive applications. However, a source close to the company tells TTAC that, as of now, the platform isn’t expected to underpin any passenger car, just the upcoming rear-drive 2020 Explorer and its Lincoln crossover sibling.

Under former CEO Mark Fields, the CD6 platform was expected to form the basis of the next-gen Fusion, MKZ, Mustang, and Continental, the source said. Read more

Pasadena Lady

Pennsylvania
I just read the article about the demise of the Continental. I was sort of surprised but really not. What a shame but car sales rule the industry. There can still be a place for this sedan . My lease is up on Novembet and I am looking around, so not for a Continental. The local dealers said sales on Lincoln Contis are slow, but SUVs are moving fast.

I am very glad I have my Black Label 2017 Continental. It is A wonderful Lincoln. One of the finest vehicles I have owned. I think the are a great deal on a beautiful vehicle.

brucelinc

Minneapolis
While the current model on the current platform will obviously be discontinued at some point, it would seem crazy for Lincoln to abandon the full-size sedan market and not continue the name "Continental."

Ctrcbob

Although most Continental lovers may or may not agree with this lover of former Continentals, having owned two 1998's and one 2002, (great cars), my 2017 is nowhere near as pleasant as my three former Continentals. First off, the 2017 has NO PIZZAZ. Another way to put it is that it has NO SNAP.

This is not even taking into account the problems I've had with mine, and the poor design and quality. Sick of dealers not being able to fix poor design (not dealers fault).

So why did I buy it? (Good question). I bought it because I was a previous Continental lover and I expected this Continental would be even better. (WRONG). With the poor sales, I guess a lot of other people are smarter than me.

I've had many modern day FoMoCo products including the above three Continentals.
2003 Mercury Marauder.
2007 Lincoln MKZ AWD.
2010 Ford Taurus SHO.
2011 Lincoln MKZ.

Plus other brand cars.

This Continental is the worse modern day car I've owned. Will see what FoMoCo does in the near future.

Sal; see you on some of your other forums soon.

Administrator

Lincoln Fanatic
Staff member
Sal; see you on some of your other forums soon.
The G90 is probably the closest car to what you'd like to be driving. Even the new Lexus LS has become too sporty for many of it's buyers - who are now flocking to the G90 - slowly...

I'm not sure what Ford is thinking of doing with the Continental. Personally, I hope they give it another generation. I actually DO like the design, inside and out. I sadly watched so many reviews where the Lincoln came in last place. Personally, I think it's exactly what the Town Car would have been today if it was never canceled. But quality has become so competitive these days. We can thank Lexus for that. Now everyone is making high quality products. It seems to me that Lincoln bought their B game to the segment...

All that being said, I still like the Continental and I feel it's a great luxury car. But when you have customers with such high expectations, you really can't cut corners anymore...

On the other hand, Lincoln bought their F'ing A game to the full size SUV segment. The Navigator is currently kicking the Escalades ass all over the place. ALL OVER THE PLACE. All over the place. Even Cadillac lovers can't deny it. THAT is bringing your A game. And it's currently my dream automobile...

Ctrcbob

Sal,

I think I read somewhere on one of your other forums, someone said that Genesis is the car Continental should have built. Or words to that effect. I agree compley.

NO..... Im NOT going to buy a G90 or G80, but I do like the idea of the G70. Test drove a new loaded MKZ, but decided not to buy, although it WAS more comfortable than my Continental. Other things I did not like about it.

Also test drove two Stingers. A GT2 Twin Turbo (wicked fast) and a 2.0Turbo Premium, which I like very much EXCEPT for the very limited view out the rear window, due to it being a "fastback" with a fastback hatch. Can't live with that limited rear visibility. Also over priced.

Toyed with the idea of a Jaguar XF (don't like the looks of the XJ) but put that thought on hold for now. Surprised though how many XF's and XJ's I see in my little part of Central Florida. (Eustis; Tavares; Mount Dora).

brucelinc

Minneapolis
Bob, if you had gotten an upgraded model with the 24 or 30 way seats, I think you would be RAVING about the comfort. Also, with all due respect, the fact you didn't bother test driving a Continental prior to purchase and simply basing your decision to buy on a model that was discontinued MANY years ago was a huge mistake.

My opinion of the Continental is that it is a solid "B" effort. I think the quality of materials and fit/finish is worthy of an "A." I also think the interior comfort is among the best - when equipped with the 24 or 30 way seats - definitely worthy of an "A." . I personally think it falls a bit short on ride comfort and quietness compared with the best in class vehicles. I also think the styling is much too bland and generic and that it lacks road presence.

From a value perspective, I think the Continental is very good. Few competitors offer the same level of equipment or comfort without charging much more. I haven't driven a G90 but I know the pricing is much higher than I paid for my Reserve series Conti. I recently drove a Volvo S90 and while it was very competitive price-wise, it was a step below the Conti in terms of power, engine smoothness, and even ride/quietness.

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
It seems the Continental was designed just for me, since it is perfect. It is in all respects an A game effort. Sales are better than all the large size luxury cars except the S Class.

Ctrcbob

Should not have to pay extra for the extra cost seats. Should be comfortable with the standard seats. After all, this is not a Focus or Fiesta. IT'S A CONTINENTAL.

The BEST SEATS I've ever had were the seats in my
1994 T-Bird. (Remember that car - large 2 door coupe, RWD with IRS). Seats were very comfortable. Could drive long distances with no problems or pain.

BTW, don't think the standard seats are the only problem. There are others, both in operation and in design.

I'm happy for those of you that love your cars.

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
Should not have to pay extra for the extra cost seats. Should be comfortable with the standard seats. After all, this is not a Focus or Fiesta. IT'S A CONTINENTAL.

The BEST SEATS I've ever had were the seats in my
1994 T-Bird. (Remember that car - large 2 door coupe, RWD with IRS). Seats were very comfortable. Could drive long distances with no problems or pain.

BTW, don't think the standard seats are the only problem. There are others, both in operation and in design.

I'm happy for those of you that love your cars.
It's too bad you did not drive the Continental or even review the specs on the Continental models. The Reserve has a lot of extra features over the lower models and for little more money. I went over the differences with my dealer sales manager and it was very clear where the value lay. A few test drives confirmed the spec that best suited me. To me the Continental is a very sporty car with driving dynamics that favour the driver being well supported to be comfortable and the 24 way (or 30 way) seats deliver. I cannot imagine being comfortable in seats designed for 20 year old Continentals or T-Birds at the performance level of the new Continental. It's an exhilarating car to drive rather than an appliance.

Regarding the articles that initiated this thread, I am astonished at how much fake news is being published without any substantiation beyond "someone said ..." and "they cannot be identified ..." and then proceed to get all the facts wrong.

Ctrcbob

Town,

As I said before. It's more than just the terrible standard seats;

I'm happy for you that you are happy and satisfied with your Continental.
Enough said.

Administrator

Lincoln Fanatic
Staff member
Regarding the articles that initiated this thread, I am astonished at how much fake news is being published without any substantiation beyond "someone said ..." and "they cannot be identified ..." and then proceed to get all the facts wrong.
I really, truly hope this news is garbage and the Continental gets another generation. I think it's a very nice car, reasonably priced, and impressive in its own ways. I'm sure a second generation would improve on the many great things that make the Continental a Lincoln...

Administrator

Lincoln Fanatic
Staff member
Not surprising to me. I can't stand the current Continental, and my drivers prefer to not drive it either.
Like with most cars, there are love/hate relationships. I'd like to ask everyone to avoid feeling it's a personal insult when somebody doesn't like the car you love. It happens. I know a guy who hates Lamborghinis. What can you do...?

L8RSK8R

Just yesterday the driver's seat moved all the way forward (on it's own accord) and my driver couldn't adjust the seat. Fortunately he's quite short and was able to drive a customer to the airport.
This occurred right when he arrived at customers home, while he was out of the car grabbing the customers luggage.

I had to send another driver to trade cars with him, when he cleared at the airport.
When the car arrived at base, I couldn't adjust the driver's seat.
I locked and unlocked the doors, tried to move the passengers seat (which worked) then adjusted the driver seat and it worked.

Reason driver's don't want to drive it, is the uncomfortable driver's seat. The shoulder bolsters are not comfortable. These guys are in the vehicles for 8 to 12 hours each shift.

If the '18 Navigator seats are similar to the Continentals, I won't be buying them.

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
I read a review of the 2018 Navigator last Friday and the two testers complained of the 24/30 way seats too. That discussion took up a major part of the review, they did not like the multi-components of the seats since they could not adjust them to their liking.