Lincoln Continental As-Built configuration and programming via Forscan

jesse.srq

I've certainly enjoyed the last few months since I purchased my '19 Continental. When I first bought it, one thing I did right away was to customize module settings with Forscan. My previous experience with Forscan was on a '17 Fusion Sport which allowed me to really take customizing to the next level. Everything from blinker flashes, to instrument cluster settings, exterior lighting, to APIM I could change my way. Heck - I could even change the temperature degree of the heated steering wheel if I wished.

The only hiccup that I've run into is that there is not much support out there in the way of As-Built programming on the Continental. With the Fusion, there was an overabundance of information which is expected considering its popularity, but there's almost nothing for the Continental, and for Lincoln vehicles in general. Again, I shouldn't be surprised, but if anyone knows where I can dig up more information, it would be most helpful.

So far the only changes that have worked have been the following. These changes come from Fusion As-Built programming...

• Ability to access functions on APIM not available while the vehicle is in motion. Example being to input addresses in Navi while driving.
  • Bambi mode which allows low beams and fog lamps to illuminate at the same time as when high beams are activated.
  • Horn honk deactivated when exiting vehicle with the key while engine running.
  • Auto blinkers from three flashes/clicks to custom number.
That's it... If anyone out there has any thoughts, your help is much appreciated.

Thanks!

MarkX

[O]ne thing I did right away was to customize module settings with Forscan
Interesting. Where is Forscan port on '19 Conti and how accessible is it?

Are you using a cabled or Bluetooth connector? Pros and cons?

Are you able to override the power seat on-the-move-lock-out which drives me nuts?

I know you are looking for help but obviously I am well behind you. However, I might want to get into the game and maybe contribute.

jesse.srq

Using the standard OBD2 port under the driver side of the dash is how to access the system. You can either use as Bluetooth OBD2 adaptor or a USB to OBD2 cable. Same result. If you use Bluetooth, just make sure you're using a quality adaptor such as the OBDlink MX or you'll have trouble programming As-Built. You will also need to register for a free license from Forscan.org in order to obtain active software.

The As-Built data contains several hexadecimal numbers that are used for programming modules within the vehicle. The trick is to know what hex values are used to control their respective computers, ie. change the headlight module to add Bambi mode, or in your case power seat on-the-move-lock-out. BTW MarkX - Do you see a setting in the advanced vehicle menu to turn on/off the easy entry/exit? I believe that's what you're looking to disable? This would stop the seat from moving when starting & turning off the car, along with the steering wheel...

There's a lot of tutorials online that I follow for As-Built data. When I had the Fusion Sport, I mainly focused on a Youtube channel by Nick The Car Guy who essentially turned a Fusion SE into a Sport minus the 2x turbos, and some other little stuff... He knows his s**t! Almost every piece of equipment he adds needs programming within the As-Built. Just wish I knew of a Lincoln owner with this guy's knowledge, who's not afraid to experiment and share, cause I'm not ready to take that plunge yet;-)

I attached some pics for reference, showing typical Ford/Mazda vehicle modules that are accessible within Forscan, along with a screenshot of general hex that can be changed. Hope this helps us:)

Attachments

Last edited:

MarkX

Do you see a setting in the advanced vehicle menu to turn on/off the easy entry/exit? I believe that's what you're looking to disable?
Thanks, but that's not what's bothering me. I am happy with the easy entry/exit option. The garage attendants in my building seem to have a need to reset the seat position when I turn the car over to them. So when I get the car back it is not in my preset memory position and I may not realize that until I am well underway. As stated in the owner's manual on page 135 "Memory Recall Not Permitted While Driving. Displays as a reminder that memory seats are not available while driving," thus requiring me to wait until I have stopped to recall my memorized seat position. This is what I would like to default out.

And thanks for the further Forscan information and images. It seems the Bluetooth/Android version does not have all the capabilities of the USB/Windows version, if I am reading some web postings correctly. I will take some more time in thinking about this. But can you tell me more specifically (or photo) where the OBD2 port is and how to access it?

Todor

Memory while driving is forbidden on most vehicles, even 06 Toyota's and 15 Mercedes, it's for safety. Imagine your toddler memorising a full front position...

I have found that using the remote to open/close the window would sometimes glitch and disable a window switch completely and one time after using it the manual driver seat controls disappeared for one hour. - maybe it's related to the battery low voltage on startup that I am investigating now.

What about engine hours? Does it count all engine hours from new or from last oil monitor reset? I use the trip 1 for that purpose, reset it at oil change and the timer of the trip 1 is used for engine hours. First time, 5k miles went in ~180 hours. Can you show the new menu?

Todor

Interesting, in EU, you can't recall memory on all cars I know. Exactly due to the reason I mentioned - driving you into the steering wheel and making it impossible to operate the controls.

This Dorescan seems to be very interesting. Maybe it can allow you to reprogram both memory recall and auto hold.

jesse.srq

MarkX - Thanks for the clarification. Most likely it's the DSM (Driver Seat Module) that would control your memory seat functions, and it's what's stopping us from using the function while in motion. When looking at Forscan support forums, there are many others that have asked this question, but it doesn't seem that anyone in the community has cracked this one yet. It'll be something to keep a close eye on... You're right about Mercedes though. Both my 2011 and 2014 E350's did not have this silly safety feature.

I do not have any experience with Forscan on Android, but I do know that Windows 10 works 100% with a good Bluetooth adaptor. I attached some photos for reference of the OBD2 port and Bluetooth adaptor. Hope it helps.

Todor - I'm not sure about adding engine hours to the menu in our cars. This seems to be something that truck owners have tinkered with on their vehicles, but it may be something that just isn't available to us. If there's any hope that we can make this feature visible, it seems logical to me that the settings would lie within the IPC (Instrument Panel Control Module), or possibly the ICM (Information Center Module). BTW - A list of acronyms for all supported modules can be found on Forscan's website:

I hope someone finds this useful:)

Attachments

MarkX

I attached some photos for reference of the OBD2 port and Bluetooth adaptor. Hope it helps.
They sure do! Many thanks. Will have to give it some more research and thought. Front-burner issue for me now is getting a particular and appropriate license plate.

Jeyaar456

Changed via forscan,
Engine Hours on display,

day running lights only on front lights [ a UK thing ],

safe idle feature,

getting rid of the 2 annoying horn blasts when you leave the car, engine running, and the door is closed with the remote in your pocket,

door mirror dip on reverse.

jesse.srq

Jayaar456,

This is great news! Please do share with us what module, and which hex line you revised to display engine hours. I too got rid of that annoying double honk with key in hand. So annoying...

Also, I tried to enable mirror dip via Forscan using guidance from the fusion forums, but this did not work. Can you share with us these revisions, or point us in the right direction?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Jeyaar456

Jayaar456,

This is great news! Please do share with us what module, and which hex line you revised to display engine hours. I too got rid of that annoying double honk with key in hand. So annoying...

Also, I tried to enable mirror dip via Forscan using guidance from the fusion forums, but this did not work. Can you share with us these revisions, or point us in the right direction?

Thanks!

Sure.
For Idle hours display.

IPC module : line 720-04-01 change to = C800 XXXX XXXX

As for dip on reverse it's worth persevering with the Fusion instructions rather than changing hexes.
if you have memory seats dip on reverse is available, it just needs set. [ although you must select which mirror via the button on the driver's door panel before selecting R ]

Try this or variations of:

Setting a Reverse Mirror Dipping Position:
Switch the ignition on.
Select the mirror you want to adjust.
Put your vehicle into reverse (R).
Re-position the mirror to your preference.
Note: If you have already programmed a position, wait for the mirror to stop its movement before re-positioning it.
Use the memory preset control to save the position. See Memory Function.
Put your vehicle into park (P)."

jesse.srq

Jeyarr456- Thanks for the info. The engine hours display addition worked like a charm! I have the mirror dip somewhat working I believe. Can't figure out how to get them to dip down while going into reverse after selecting a mirror but when I do it manually, the mirror will automatically go back to its upright position, so I'm at least halfway there. Just need to spend some more time figuring out how it works I suppose.

One IPC menu item that I really miss that I programmed on my Fusion was the 30-minute fuel history display. When I tried to program it in the Continental, using Fusion data it never worked... Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks again for your input. It's very helpful:)

Jeyaar456

Jeyarr456- Thanks for the info. The engine hours display addition worked like a charm! I have the mirror dip somewhat working I believe. Can't figure out how to get them to dip down while going into reverse after selecting a mirror but when I do it manually, the mirror will automatically go back to its upright position, so I'm at least halfway there. Just need to spend some more time figuring out how it works I suppose.

One IPC menu item that I really miss that I programmed on my Fusion was the 30-minute fuel history display. When I tried to program it in the Continental, using Fusion data it never worked... Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks again for your input. It's very helpful:)
Initially I had it “sort of “working that when the engine was on and you pressed the number 1 door memory button the mirror dip would remember to dip on reverse for as many times as you wanted but if you turned the engine off it would forget and on start up it would need the number 1 memory button to be pressed.
I now don’t need to do that and I can’t remember what I did to enable that. I think the secret is to press the memory button when it’s the preferred dip position and then press the memory button when it’s in the normal position remembering to keep the memory button pressed for at least 30 seconds on both occasions.
Sorry but I don’t know anything about the 30 minute fuel thing.

Jeyaar456

Another procedure from the F150 forum re Dipping On Reverse.
Worth a try.

" I wanted to try one more thing before deciding to give up on the automatic tilt / dip mirrors. This is what I did :

1. Started the truck. Put my foot on the brake.
2. Put the truck in Reverse.
3. Selected the driver's mirror.
4. Adjusted the driver's mirror to where I wanted it.
5. Selected the passenger mirror.
6. Adjusted the passenger mirror to where I wanted it.
7. Put the truck in Park. Kept my foot on the brake.
8. Pressed and held Memory Button 1 until I saw the dash message.
9. Released the brake pedal.

Both mirrors now remember their home positions and their dipped positions.""