• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "1998 Town Car" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 1998 Town Car" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Lincoln Continental 1997 Torque Converter drain plug location?

Lincolncont1997

Hi, new this forum today. I purchased a Lincoln Continental 1997 last year and it is time to change the ATF. I would like to drain the torque converter as well. I have a remote start hand held switch and can lay underneath and"advance" the flywheel, thus spinning the TC and hopefully spot the drain plug.
My 1995 F-150 I was able to do this and worked perfectly. Just find the bell housing plate, remove the screws and attach the remote starter and spin (with flashlight) and spot the drain plug

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
Welcome to the Forum.

The 1997 Continental transaxle (AX4N) torque converter does not have a drain plug. The procedure specified to drain and refill the transaxle is equivalent to a flush but without the machine to top up the fluid level, so manual top up. The procedure is attached. Mercon ATF is no longer available so Ford says to use Mercon V which is fully compatible.

This forum is for the 2017 Continental. You will find more experienced help in the other Continental forum here: Lincoln Continental / Continental Town Car Forum

Attachments

Lincolncont1997

Welcome to the Forum.

The 1997 Continental transaxle (AX4N) torque converter does not have a drain plug. The procedure specified to drain and refill the transaxle is equivalent to a flush but without the machine to top up the fluid level, so manual top up. The procedure is attached. Mercon ATF is no longer available so Ford says to use Mercon V which is fully compatible.

This forum is for the 2017 Continental. You will find more experienced help in the other Continental forum here: Lincoln Continental / Continental Town Car Forum
Thanks very much for this information. I really appreciate the rapid reply and attachment. Will follow this PDF. Thank again. What a great forum!

Ctrcbob

When I had my two 1998's and my 2002, I used to do a "pump and dump". I'd suck out fluid from the transmission dip stick. Measured exactly how much I removed and replaced that amount through the transmission dipstick. Did it every 30k miles. Method does not change all the fluid but it's easy and never had problems. Did it on all three Continentals. Those were great cars.

Lincolncont1997

When I had my two 1998's and my 2002, I used to do a "pump and dump". I'd suck out fluid from the transmission dip stick. Measured exactly how much I removed and replaced that amount through the transmission dipstick. Did it every 30k miles. Method does not change all the fluid but it's easy and never had problems. Did it on all three Continentals. Those were great cars.
Thanks for this information.

HTML