Lighting Control Module/Wiper module?

Keith Hudson

My 2001 Town Car lights (dash & headlights) started blinking on & off, stereo on & off, then it would just cut off going down the road. Had to completely stop, put in park to re-start. All forums pointed to the Lighting Control Module. Bought one off ebay after confirming #'s. Installed the new one & lights working correctly. My problem now is that my windshield wipers do not work. Checked the fuse, it was blown. Replaced it & as soon as I turned wipers on it blew the fuse again. Took it to my mechanic to fix wipers. He checked the control arm, replaced the wiper motor (again) & the Wiper Control Module. Still blowing wiper fuse. My mechanic found a wiring diagram that shows a wire feeding to/from the Lighting Control module & the Wiper Module. He thinks I have a bad Light Module. The man I bought the Lighting Module from said it had nothing to do with the wipers. Can someone tell me if the Lighting Control Module has anything to do with my wipers not working?

Keith Hudson

Ebay seller sending me another LCM. hopefully this will correct the problems.

Brian J. Patterson

Northern Illinois
FYI...2nd LCM did the same thing. Finally just cut the red wire running from the WCM to the LCM. Fixed the problem.
Hi, Keith Hudson.

I hope you left enough room where you cut the red wire to splice it?

Chances are that your particular eBay seller had "multiple" LCMs with the same problem. I would at least think about trying a different LCM from a different vendor. I will admit that this is not an easily found "box."

The interconnect is mostly a "ticked-avoidance" feature when the LCM is working correctly. My 2001 has the same "feature," though fortunately not the same problem.

You are required by law to have your actual headlights turned on when it is "overcast" enough to rain, even without precipitation. With precipitation, if your headlights are not on, you're just a ticket waiting to happen.

When "everything" is working as advertised, the LCM senses that you have your windshield wipers on, and turns on your headlights for you. Thoughtful, hunh?

While so far "cutting the wire" only requires you to use the same attention you would need when driving a 1991 Town Car, there may be other problems waiting in the same module that caused you to cut the wire in the first place. So, I would suggest finding out why the first LCM made your dash lights and radio "flaky," why the second and third seem to make your wipers blow the fuse, fix whatever it is, and splice the wire.

Just my two cents worth. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Thanks.

HTML