Lesson learnt !

Welcome to the busiest full-spectrum Lincoln community online!

Please join us! We'd really love to have you as a member...

Dikshant

Hello everybody. I recently joined this forum & this is my 2nd post. Group members are active & helpful. My 1st post was regarding a rattling sound that I was experiencing & upon posting it here, I got the right revert back to fix that.

Now I would like to share my experience that I just had. My Continental odo is at 93k miles. As a limo owner & operator I always made sure that I take good care of my vehicle. Always getting the oil changed between 4 to 5k miles. My brakes are still factory fitted running smooth and effective but I am getting them changed today. All set of rotors with brake pads & complete brake fluid flush with bleeding. I ordered the parts online from Rockauto and Oem part source.

One this that I missed taking caring of was the spark plugs. Last Sunday I got a check engine light ( blinking) for 2-3 minutes & then it went away. I got a notification on my phone that it’s a misfiring issue. I thought it was just an error as the light went away quick & spark plugs lasts 100k miles. So I didn’t bother it much and drove my car for another day (approx. 150miles).
Now on Tuesday evening on my way to the city( work) I got check engine light again & this time it was constant. I then got 2 notifications. Catalytic converter went bad & misfiring.

The next morning I visited dealership & got the Catalytic converter & all 6 spark plugs replaced .The bill over $2300 for this job. If I would have replaced the spark plugs on time it would have saved the Catalytic converter.

So guys it’s very important to change spark plugs on time. My car had a lot of engine idling hours & running hours on it. I wanted to try out the NGK ruthenium spark plugs but couldn’t this time.

MarkX

If I would have replaced the spark plugs on time it would have saved the Catalytic converter.
Very interesting! Can you expand on that? For instance, why not change the plugs earlier? Your call or a dealer's? And why did tired plugs ruin the CC?

Dikshant

Very interesting! Can you expand on that? For instance, why not change the plugs earlier? Your call or a dealer's? And why did tired plugs ruin the CC?
I never went to dealership for service and that was the reason. I always bought my own fully synthetic engine oil and high quality oil filter and got it changed from my local mechanic.
Tired spark plugs forced unburned fuel into the exhaust system which then got ignited as CC got very hot. So it eventually ruined the CC.

MarkX

I never went to dealership for service and that was the reason. I always bought my own fully synthetic engine oil and high quality oil filter and got it changed from my local mechanic.
Tired spark plugs forced unburned fuel into the exhaust system which then got ignited as CC got very hot. So it eventually ruined the CC.
Thanks. Even a local mechanic should pick that up for you.

Dikshant

Thanks. Even a local mechanic should pick that up fo
It was my fault. I always told him to just do the oil & filter change. He never got to see the odometer.
Service advisor at dealership told me that they change spark plugs of livery vehicles at every 60k miles.

Dikshant

Odometer is deceptive in livery vehicles. Engine hours are a better gauge for vehicles that do a lot of idling. Does the Continental even have an option to view an hours meter?
Yes Livery models have.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    354.2 KB · Views: 15

Tseg

Interesting… they say idle causes more engine stress than driving. If those hours averaged 40 mph the car would have about 225K miles.