• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "1998 Town Car" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 1998 Town Car" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Keyless entry not working.

Bubbameister33

DC
The keyless entry stopped working on my 2002 Lincoln Town Car. I can't unlock the doors with the remote, the switches on the driver and passenger side door panels, or the keypad on the outside of the driver door. The same goes for the trunk. All other buttons and switches work on the door panel except for the door locks and the trunk release. Also, my horn still honks when I try to lock my doors with the remote. I checked "fuse/relay location 29 and 30" in the manual, which I assume are the fuse locations for that and the fuses didn't look blown. Any help would be appreciated.

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
It sounds like the driver door module (DDM) has failed in part. Window operation and memory power seat operation use the DDM as well. Attached are the wiring diagrams for the system, that may help you diagnose the problem.

The attached DDM replacement procedure requires the driver side door panel be removed and the programming in the existing DDM be uploaded and then downloaded to the new module. Here is the procedure to remove the driver door panel on a 1998 thru 2002: http://www.lincolnforums.com/forums/threads/10480-Town-Car-door-panel-removal

Good luck.

Attachments

Town, in my humble opinion, is clearly the gold standard around here - and exceedingly generous with his time, knowledge and resources. I agree with his assessment of your probable issue based on recent experience. My mirror control went first, then seat adjustment, then door keypad. The interior lights began randomly coming on while parked & drained the battery, forcing me to a solution. I replaced my Door Module with a used one from ebay. Rather than mess with the programming download/upload, I used the new keypad code from the label (if you get a used one, make sure it still has the label) and manually set the rest of the features. You can create new door codes as long as you start with the one from the door module. In my case it worked out perfectly - good luck with your repair!

Town, in my humble opinion, is clearly the gold standard around here - and exceedingly generous with his time, knowledge and resources. I agree with his assessment of your probable issue based on recent experience. My mirror control went first, then seat adjustment, then door keypad. The interior lights began randomly coming on while parked & drained the battery, forcing me to a solution. I replaced my Door Module with a used one from ebay. Rather than mess with the programming download/upload, I used the new keypad code from the label (if you get a used one, make sure it still has the label) and manually set the rest of the features. You can create new door codes as long as you start with the one from the door module. In my case it worked out perfectly - good luck with your repair!
X2 about town.....Heck of a Guy

Bubbameister33

DC
It sounds like the driver door module (DDM) has failed in part. Window operation and memory power seat operation use the DDM as well. Attached are the wiring diagrams for the system, that may help you diagnose the problem.

The attached DDM replacement procedure requires the driver side door panel be removed and the programming in the existing DDM be uploaded and then downloaded to the new module. Here is the procedure to remove the driver door panel on a 1998 thru 2002: http://www.lincolnforums.com/forums/threads/10480-Town-Car-door-panel-removal

Good luck.
Thanks for the reply and all the information. Excuse my questions as I don't anything about cars. So if the DDM has failed would I need to replace it or is it a matter of rewiring? If a replacement is needed, would I need to buy an OEM part or could I buy a new keyless entry system? Do you have any recommendations?

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
My comments about the wiring related to a DIY person that would try to diagnose the problem and fix it.

The DDM is probably going to have to be replaced. It is a solid state module that has a number of functions and some are working on your car and others are not. Since you will not be working on your car yourself, you will need to contact a repair shop or a Ford dealer and give them the same info as your post. The shop will diagnose the problem and propose a repair. If it is a Ford dealer and the DDM is the problem then you will need an OEM part and its installation and programming. If it is a private shop, then the solution may well be the one proposed by Mark I as a used module from a similarly equipped and similar model year, or an OEM part. You should be prepared to confirm that the shop (other than a Ford dealer) can actually replace the DDM if that is the problem since you do not want to pay for a diagnosis that the shop cannot repair.

Good luck.

Bubbameister33

DC
My comments about the wiring related to a DIY person that would try to diagnose the problem and fix it.

The DDM is probably going to have to be replaced. It is a solid state module that has a number of functions and some are working on your car and others are not. Since you will not be working on your car yourself, you will need to contact a repair shop or a Ford dealer and give them the same info as your post. The shop will diagnose the problem and propose a repair. If it is a Ford dealer and the DDM is the problem then you will need an OEM part and its installation and programming. If it is a private shop, then the solution may well be the one proposed by Mark I as a used module from a similarly equipped and similar model year, or an OEM part. You should be prepared to confirm that the shop (other than a Ford dealer) can actually replace the DDM if that is the problem since you do not want to pay for a diagnosis that the shop cannot repair.

Good luck.

Thanks for the help, I'll do what you suggest. I wish it were something that I could work on though. The funny part of all of this is that my warranty expired last month.

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
Sometimes a shop will honor an expired warranty for a short time afterward. No harm in checking with them.

Good luck.

ErnieV

New York
1995 town car keyless entry don't work

I have the same problem with my 1995 town car, I replaced the key pad, the fuses are good, when I press the lights go on and when I press the 7/8/ 9/0 the doors lock. However when I enter the code it don't unlock, also the keyless entry remote don't work. Any Ideas?

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
The manual lock/unlock switches (on driver and front passenger door panel) use slightly different pins on the DDM to lock and unlock the doors, do these manual switches work correctly? The manual switches lock and unlock all doors at the same time while the keypad and the remote unlock the driver door first and another operation to unlock the passenger doors. For the keypad unlock feature (after entering the 5 digit code that should unlock the driver door) press the 3/4 key within 5 seconds of entering the 5 digit code to unlock the passenger doors - does that unlock the doors?

If none of the features are working then you likely have a Driver Door Module (DDM) also called the Left Front Door Module (LF door module) failure. Attached are the wiring diagrams for these systems on your car.

I can find the procedure to replace the DDM, but the instructions say the new module must be programmed from the old one or downloaded from the Ford "as built" program library that requires special equipment and authorization. Some people have successfully replaced the DDM with a used one, and one person replaced the DDM with a new OEM module and they worked fine. If you are interested I can get you the procedure. Note that another DDM comes with a new factory code that replaces your existing keypad code. The code is on the DDM.

Good luck.

Attachments

Lasvegaskid

1998 Lincoln Continental

Hi,
My 1998 Lincoln Continental key less entry fobs are not working. Batteries are new and they are producing RF.
I tried to program them from the door keypad with no luck. I followed the owners manual. Does anyone know if the Module on my vehicle is in the drivers door?
I'm thinking it must be bad. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks, Bob

The manual lock/unlock switches (on driver and front passenger door panel) use slightly different pins on the DDM to lock and unlock the doors, do these manual switches work correctly? The manual switches lock and unlock all doors at the same time while the keypad and the remote unlock the driver door first and another operation to unlock the passenger doors. For the keypad unlock feature (after entering the 5 digit code that should unlock the driver door) press the 3/4 key within 5 seconds of entering the 5 digit code to unlock the passenger doors - does that unlock the doors?

If none of the features are working then you likely have a Driver Door Module (DDM) also called the Left Front Door Module (LF door module) failure. Attached are the wiring diagrams for these systems on your car.

I can find the procedure to replace the DDM, but the instructions say the new module must be programmed from the old one or downloaded from the Ford "as built" program library that requires special equipment and authorization. Some people have successfully replaced the DDM with a used one, and one person replaced the DDM with a new OEM module and they worked fine. If you are interested I can get you the procedure. Note that another DDM comes with a new factory code that replaces your existing keypad code. The code is on the DDM.

Good luck.

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
Hi,
My 1998 Lincoln Continental key less entry fobs are not working. Batteries are new and they are producing RF.
I tried to program them from the door keypad with no luck. I followed the owners manual. Does anyone know if the Module on my vehicle is in the drivers door?
I'm thinking it must be bad. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks, Bob
Yes the 1998 Continental uses a DDM in the driver door to control the door locks (and many other functions) through a key fob transmitter. Attached are the procedures to remove the door panel and replace the DDM, and program the key fob(s). There is nothing that I can find about having to save the existing DDM program and load it into a new DDM, and there is no procedure that I can find on downloading the "as built" DDM program from the Ford library. So those requirements may apply only to more recent Lincoln models. It appears the DDM on your car is a plug and play module, but caution would suggest getting a used DDM from a similarly equipped Continental of about the same year.

The door lock switches inside the car also use the DDM, so do they operate correctly? In the diagnostics there is a check for door lock switches that are stuck down. Does that apply to your car? I can post the diagnostics (2 indexed sets that apply) and provide the detail tests. Some need the Ford diagnostic tool, but some do not.

Good luck.

Attachments

Thamer

Good luck.
Hi,
Thanks a lot for your help and support

I have a 2001 town car cartier, i had to replace my DDM as suddenly i could not lock and unlock all doors remotely or from inside as well as the trunk. i replaced it with a second hand one and it worked great except the Keyless entry is not working at all.. its not responding not even the light on it. i tried few DDM and still not responding.looks like it need to be porogrammed or something.
Do you have any idea about this issue? please help

Thank you

wimpy

Charlotte, NC
09 LTC. Driver door will lock, but not unlock with the key fob or the door pad. All other doors & trunk functions correctly. There is a sound like a gear trying to work, in the driver door when pressing the fob or the door pad.

What will the fix require?

wimpy

Charlotte, NC
09 LTC. Driver door will lock, but not unlock with the key fob or the door pad. All other doors & trunk functions correctly. There is a sound like a gear trying to work, in the driver door when pressing the fob or the door pad.
After intermittently working/not working for 2-3 weeks, the problem went away. The key fob & the exterior door pad all work perfectly once again.

Suggestions as to what may have cured the problem?

demario95

The keyless entry stopped working on my 2002 Lincoln Town Car. I can't unlock the doors with the remote, the switches on the driver and passenger side door panels, or the keypad on the outside of the driver door. The same goes for the trunk. All other buttons and switches work on the door panel except for the door locks and the trunk release. Also, my horn still honks when I try to lock my doors with the remote. I checked "fuse/relay location 29 and 30" in the manual, which I assume are the fuse locations for that and the fuses didn't look blown. Any help would be appreciated.

baja

help please
i replaced the door on my 1995 town car now my interior lock/unlock switches are not working neither is the mirror control switches and the key pad but the key fob works fine i tried a different key pad same issue - lights up but no function

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
help please
i replaced the door on my 1995 town car now my interior lock/unlock switches are not working neither is the mirror control switches and the key pad but the key fob works fine i tried a different key pad same issue - lights up but no function
Welcome to the Forum.

Did you remove the DDM (Driver door module) from your old door and install it in the new/replaced door. What year was the new door from? Each DDM has a factory code printed on the DDM so you need the code for the particular DDM you have installed to operate the keypad. The factory DDM code is printed on the DDM in the forward part of the door. It has lots of wires attached.

The currently installed DDM may not be working correctly or missing a connector, so perhaps replace with the DDM from your old door.

HTML