Keyless entry keypad - how to lock with the key inside?

Welcome to the busiest full-spectrum Lincoln community online!

Please join us! We'd really love to have you as a member...

gcoutts

Does anyone know if it is possible to lock the car using the keyless keypad when the key is inside the car? The car automatically unlocks thinking I shouldn't do that. It would be useful when sharing the car & key with another driver. Thanks.

bbf2530

Does anyone know if it is possible to lock the car using the keyless keypad when the key is inside the car? The car automatically unlocks thinking I shouldn't do that. It would be useful when sharing the car & key with another driver. Thanks.

Hi gcoutts. Yes, if you press the last two buttons (7-8 and 9-0) simultaneously, your doors will lock while the keys are in the car. If you already tried this, perhaps you did not press them both at the same time or did not press and hold for long enough.

The instructions on how to use the keypad for this and other functions are also in your Owners Manual.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

gcoutts

Hi gcoutts. Yes, if you press the last two buttons (7-8 and 9-0) simultaneously, your doors will lock while the keys are in the car. If you already tried this, perhaps you did not press them both at the same time or did not press and hold for long enough.

The instructions on how to use the keypad for this and other functions are also in your Owners Manual.

Awesome! Thanks a lot.

Paul461

Tampa, FL
It will also work with the car running and no key inside. My wife has health issues and sometimes stays in the car while I get out to get a quick something. Feel safer that it's locked.

bbf2530

How to unlock the car with the keys inside 2016 mkz

Hi G-. To unlock the drivers door while the keys are inside your MKZ, you input the 5 digit factory or personal code into the keyless entry keypad on the drivers door pillar.

The instructions and diagrams are in your Owners Manual. If you do not have the hard copy, you can download the PDF version here: https://www.fleet.ford.com/parts-service/resources/owner-manuals/

If you purchased your MKZ used and do not know the factory code (and do not have a personal code), the instructions for how to recover the factory code are also in the Owners Manual.

However, to retrieve the factory code, you must have two individually programmed keyfobs in your posseesion. If you do not have two individually programmed keyfobs, you will need to have your local Lincoln or Ford Dealer retrieve the factory keyless entry code for you.

If you need to do that, I would also recommend purchasing a second IKT/keyfob and having it programmed at the that time. You may be able to save a few dollars by doing it all at once. Better to always have at least two working keyfobs.