Key fob remote start

Welcome to the busiest full-spectrum Lincoln community online!

Please join us! We'd really love to have you as a member...

calabashkid

One of the two key fobs that came with my '19 MKZ stopped working for remote start. It will lock, unlock, open the trunk but will not remote start the car. The other key fob works fine. I'm hoping for someone with a suggestion before I have the key fobs reprogrammed at the dealer. Thanks!

bbf2530

One of the two key fobs that came with my '19 MKZ stopped working for remote start. It will lock, unlock, open the trunk but will not remote start the car. The other key fob works fine. I'm hoping for someone with a suggestion before I have the key fobs reprogrammed at the dealer. Thanks!

Hi calabash. The keyfobs are covered under the 4 year/50,000 mile New Vehicle Warranty. So if your MKZ is still within the warranty periods, a replacement will be free (assuming they don't find it cracked/filled with water etc.;))

You can try this first if you wish: Try a new battery first, as Multitask advised. Or switch batteries in both fobs, to save the cost of a possibly unnecessary battery.
If it is not the battery, the next step would be to follow the programming instructions in your Owners Manual, reprogram both fobs and see if that corrects the issue.

However, if it were my car, and a new battery does not work, I would take it to the Dealer and hope they replace the fob, as opposed to reprogram it. The reason why? Because if a fob loses its programming (or part of its programming), there is likely something wrong with it.
And even if reprogramming works, there is a good chance it will do it again, since the underlying defect in the fob has not been repaired.
And next time, it may be out of warranty. So the costs of a replacement or reprogramming will come out of your pocket.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

Last edited: