Keeping original stereo mod

lowesguy

So money is tight during these pandemic years so installed a cheap $25 (Amazon) mod that works pretty darn good! it allows you to keep the original head unit with an easy modification , this allows you to have a 1/8 male plug wire you can plug into your phone or player, just tune FM radio to devices frequency and play away! I used my old iphone 5 that I downloaded 17hrs of music, it has no phone service so it's just a player, works perfect for those long trips.
I'm always 20 years behind the times lol , my car is 2006 Signature, there are better options out there but I'm not into having any distractions on my dash, the factory unit sounds just fine, I believe when a new state of the art unit is installed it better be matched to your complete original system, speakers woofer, bass amp ,wiring etc.
I learned my lesson on my 1991 500SL upgrading the head unit, ($400) installing a big woofer/bass amp wiring etc, what a nightmare install that was, it works but the original unit was designed for a convertible and has special features that adjusts sound setting when top is off.
Now there are places you can send your original unit to and they will install a AUX jack to to it, cost is over $100, mine $25 lol.
This job took me a couple of hours, removing unit is pretty darn easy, 10 min, finding the right leads, ground and power wire was time consuming for me but finally figured it out, many will say, but John if your going to go thru all that trouble of removing original why not install a new unit? that's not what I want, remember John's 20 years behind the times! KISS keep it simple stupid lol.
So if you want to save some money , keep it simple, and keep the original look to your ride I give it a thumbs up!
Here's a crappy video of my install.

lowesguy

It sounds great to me.
For aux install I would call some professional stereo installers for reference and google it, I think I found a place on a post here but didn't save, search.