• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "1998 Town Car" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 1998 Town Car" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Just bought 2018 MKT, have some questions

billm0066

Long story short my wife is pregnant and we wanted a 3 row luxury suv to cart baby and out of town visitors in one car. I looked at xc90, q7 and I couldn't justify the cost of a used one. $30-$40k for a used one out of warranty. I thought i should look into Lincoln and came across the MKT. Not our favorite looking car of the bunch but my wife was fine with it. What really drew me in was the depreciation and getting a lightly used car for so far below MSRP.

I ended up getting a 2018 with 21,000 miles for $26,000 from a dealer auction (friend has his license). $500 to ship $500 auction fee. It ended up coming with a little damage which is costing $900 to fix but still think I got a great deal. Tech package, elite package, captains chairs. It's only missing the roof that opens, 2nd row cooler, and screens in headrests. MSRP was $55k.

Now onto my questions.

How do i activate front parking sensors? When I pull forward while parking we do not get an audible beeps or warnings. When I back into a spot I get those.

Any good solutions to add entertainment to the rear head rests? Something I could plug HDMI into. Doesnt have to be controlled from the front.

What do I need to buy to add dvd in motion and entering addresses on the front screen while in motion? Or add more video capabilities.

Does a k&n filter add more turbo noise with the stock air box?

Thats it for now. Dropping car off today for the light body work and should have it back in two days.

vinaygoel2000

Houston
I have a 2013 and it does have two front sensors but those are not for audible parking. I believe those are for automatic parallel parking. Which I love, by the way.

I think they got rid of RCA ports in the newer model so adding after market headrests might be a chore. Mine has RCA ports and even my front screen plays movies (while driving, with a bypass). I got headrest TVs installed from an audio shop. They also installed the bypass (dvd in motion). I did not have to search online and purchase. It also allows me (I mean the passenger) to enter address while driving.

I just replace with factory filter so cannot answer that one.

PS: You should not have started your post in a Lincoln forum that it isn't your favorite. LOL.

billm0066

I have a 2013 and it does have two front sensors but those are not for audible parking. I believe those are for automatic parallel parking. Which I love, by the way.

I think they got rid of RCA ports in the newer model so adding after market headrests might be a chore. Mine has RCA ports and even my front screen plays movies (while driving, with a bypass). I got headrest TVs installed from an audio shop. They also installed the bypass (dvd in motion). I did not have to search online and purchase. It also allows me (I mean the passenger) to enter address while driving.

I just replace with factory filter so cannot answer that one.

PS: You should not have started your post in a Lincoln forum that it isn't your favorite. LOL.

Hey im an honest guy. I own an sq5 and its a great car but not my favorite suv and happy to admit that. For what I paid it's a great car, same as the MKT.

vinaygoel2000

Houston
Hey im an honest guy. I own an sq5 and its a great car but not my favorite suv and happy to admit that. For what I paid it's a great car, same as the MKT.
Everyone is honest. I have never met a dishonest person. In their own thinking everyone is honest. All I'm saying is that we all love our Lincolns. Not that I'm being offended or anything if you dont like your Lincoln. And I'm sure you will come to love it too.

billm0066

Everyone is honest. I have never met a dishonest person. In their own thinking everyone is honest. All I'm saying is that we all love our Lincolns. Not that I'm being offended or anything if you dont like your Lincoln. And I'm sure you will come to love it too.
I never said I dont like the lincoln. I wouldnt have bought it if I didnt....

RedGeminiPA

Altoona, PA
Yeah... no front parking sensors. The ones on the sides up front are for parallel parking assist. Yours sounds equipped similar to my ‘14, but mine has the power vista roof. I also have the 20” wheels and White Platinum paint. MSRP on mine was $56,264. I bought it in October with 79k on it for $18,000. I did buy a 3 year 85k mile warranty and gap insurance, plus taxes and dealer fees, so I ended up financing $22,500.

As for adding RSE, maybe pick up a couple cheap tablets. There are plenty of options on the market for attaching them to the seats. RCA makes a setup with dual tablets with DVD players. I don’t have personal experience with them, but I’ve seen them available.

As for the question about using the touchscreen while in motion, look at the mods thread. It’s discussed there. You’ll need a lockpick. @vinaygoel2000 has one.

As for the looks, honestly, I hated the looks of the MKT when it came out, but it definitely grew on me over the years. I get a lot of compliments on the looks of it.

Sagar810

Boulder, COLORADO
Seems like you got a very good deal with a slight damage. I hope you have a pre-2018 sq5, somehow a performance Suv with fake plastic "wannabe QUAD exhaust tips" is such a sad design element.

Sagar810

Boulder, COLORADO
Long story short my wife is pregnant and we wanted a 3 row luxury suv to cart baby and out of town visitors in one car. I looked at xc90, q7 and I couldn't justify the cost of a used one. $30-$40k for a used one out of warranty. I thought i should look into Lincoln and came across the MKT. Not our favorite looking car of the bunch but my wife was fine with it. What really drew me in was the depreciation and getting a lightly used car for so far below MSRP.

I ended up getting a 2018 with 21,000 miles for $26,000 from a dealer auction (friend has his license). $500 to ship $500 auction fee. It ended up coming with a little damage which is costing $900 to fix but still think I got a great deal. Tech package, elite package, captains chairs. It's only missing the roof that opens, 2nd row cooler, and screens in headrests. MSRP was $55k.

Now onto my questions.

How do i activate front parking sensors? When I pull forward while parking we do not get an audible beeps or warnings. When I back into a spot I get those.

Any good solutions to add entertainment to the rear head rests? Something I could plug HDMI into. Doesnt have to be controlled from the front.

What do I need to buy to add dvd in motion and entering addresses on the front screen while in motion? Or add more video capabilities.

Does a k&n filter add more turbo noise with the stock air box?

Thats it for now. Dropping car off today for the light body work and should have it back in two days.
I have a drop in KnN filter in my car, I cannot tell a big difference in the noise level in the turbo spooling. I do always hear the blow off in sport when I have no music and fan set to minimum speed.

As others said, the sensors are for Active park assist. They are not for proximity sensing during regular driving.

billm0066

Seems like you got a very good deal with a slight damage. I hope you have a pre-2018 sq5, somehow a performance Suv with fake plastic "wannabe QUAD exhaust tips" is such a sad design element.
It's a 2015 so real exhaust but I would rather have the newer style. My exhaust tips are permanently pitted and they cannot be swapped since they are valved. I would have to change a lot of the exhaust up which is not worth it for me. Or hack and weld. I got a great deal on the car because it has a rebuilt title due to a tree branch and the roof but it was pretty minor. I will upgrade to the newer style if I find a great deal on one. However there is a 2017 SQ5 im keeping an eye on that was hit in the back corner I might buy to fix.

I pick up the MKT today from my body shop guy. Damage was only $700 to repair. I appreciate everyones answers and I am completely dumbfounded this car does not have front parking sensors. Makes absolutely no sense at all. Probably one of the reasons it has sold so poorly.

Sagar810

Boulder, COLORADO
It's a 2015 so real exhaust but I would rather have the newer style. My exhaust tips are permanently pitted and they cannot be swapped since they are valved. I would have to change a lot of the exhaust up which is not worth it for me. Or hack and weld. I got a great deal on the car because it has a rebuilt title due to a tree branch and the roof but it was pretty minor. I will upgrade to the newer style if I find a great deal on one. However there is a 2017 SQ5 im keeping an eye on that was hit in the back corner I might buy to fix.

I pick up the MKT today from my body shop guy. Damage was only $700 to repair. I appreciate everyones answers and I am completely dumbfounded this car does not have front parking sensors. Makes absolutely no sense at all. Probably one of the reasons it has sold so poorly.
It sold poorly solely because of 2 reasons:
Its a 55K + plus car which is trying to style itself very different (old Mark cars styling) and also because it is not a really usable 3rd row after your kids are above 5 feet.

Btw, did you say your lincoln has a rebuilt title? I have not explored a rebuilt title vehicle yet worrying about insurance coverage and resale issues. I have always wondered how much more car I could get in the same budget. I would even pay someone to come and completely inspect the car and frame with me before buying.

Also, did you ever look at coating the tips to hide the pitting and make it less visible? Powder coating on the expensive end or Platidip on the cheaper end.

RedGeminiPA

Altoona, PA
Is the MKT a rebuilt title?

Keep in mind, the MKT launched in 2009, and other than a facelift in 2013, it’s still a vehicle that launched in 2009... based on a Volvo platform that debuted several years earlier. Some tech can be simply added, and I don’t see a clear reason why front parking sensors would be any different. I guess Ford thinks most people can still park cars the way it’s been done for over 100 years, when it comes to pulling into a perpendicular spot. The biggest gripe, to me, is the fact that it can apply the brakes when a car slows down in front of you with adaptive cruise set, but it can’t stop the car with collision avoidance, instead just flashing red lights and beeping at you. Maybe it’s because it uses a radar spot in the front bumper that can be deactivated by snow/ice buildup, which also deactivates cruise control until it’s cleaned off. My ‘14 MKT has better materials and build quality than my mom’s ‘15 MKX. I’m guessing because of the Volvo platform, but it’s hard to say.

As for the slow sales, blame Ford’s marketing department. Same problem for the Flex (Ford’s version of the MKT). The Flex is done after this year, and the MKT will only be sold for livery/fleet.

billm0066

It sold poorly solely because of 2 reasons:
Its a 55K + plus car which is trying to style itself very different (old Mark cars styling) and also because it is not a really usable 3rd row after your kids are above 5 feet.

Btw, did you say your lincoln has a rebuilt title? I have not explored a rebuilt title vehicle yet worrying about insurance coverage and resale issues. I have always wondered how much more car I could get in the same budget. I would even pay someone to come and completely inspect the car and frame with me before buying.

Also, did you ever look at coating the tips to hide the pitting and make it less visible? Powder coating on the expensive end or Platidip on the cheaper end.
Clean title and nothing on carfax. Got it back from the bodyshop and looks great. It was just a couple of larger dents and one was hiding on the lower portion of the door behind the trim. It's all good now. This car came from Manheim which is a dealer auction and not copart or iaai where wrecked cars go. I bought where dealers buy from. You need a proxy bidder to bid for you. My buddy is a dealer so he helped me out, but there are people online that offer this service for a fee.

There is a lot of misinformation about rebuilt title cars. Most people think they are junk and had severe damage but it's not the case at all. It all depends if the insurance company wants to fix them or not. I have seen insurance companies write off cars with a dent on a fender but fix cars with severe damage. My sq5 is a good example. A tree branch fell on the roof. Sunroof was shattered and some dents on the roof. No structure issues at all. Roof received PDR and it's very close to perfect besides a 1" scratch that was touched up and sunroof was replaced. The car retailed for $37k with a clean title and I paid $27k fixed. $10k savings was worth it for me. I do not have a warranty on the car so that was my only real loss, but factory warranty would have expire soon after anyways.

You can finance a car with a rebuilt title if needed. Lightstream does it without issue.
Insurance is no different. If I get in an accident my payout will reflect the rebuilt title value and not clean title, but rates are no different.

Resale can be challenging. Everyone assumes the worst with a rebuilt title car. When I buy mine I save all the info on the car that I can get. I have all the photos when my sq5 originally sold at the copart auction so people can see the damage was pretty minor. When I sell this I have an audi dealer two miles away and they can fully inspect it. I plan on keeping it for a while though.

Last edited:

billm0066

I always park in reverse so dont need front parking sensors. They can be installed for $30 if needed.
My wife parks in our garage. I back in and she pulls in straight so we can both open our driver side doors in the middle. She does not back into spots so front sensors would be helpful for her. I will look at aftermarket options but I dont want to ghetto rig a nice car like this. I did buy the laser that installs on the garage ceiling to help her out but having sensors every day would be ideal.

Sagar810

Boulder, COLORADO
Clean title and nothing on carfax. Got it back from the bodyshop and looks great. It was just a couple of larger dents and one was hiding on the lower portion of the door behind the trim. It's all good now. This car came from Manheim which is a dealer auction and not copart or iaai where wrecked cars go. I bought where dealers buy from. You need a proxy bidder to bid for you. My buddy is a dealer so he helped me out, but there are people online that offer this service for a fee.

There is a lot of misinformation about rebuilt title cars. Most people think they are junk and had severe damage but it's not the case at all. It all depends if the insurance company wants to fix them or not. I have seen insurance companies write off cars with a dent on a fender but fix cars with severe damage. My sq5 is a good example. A tree branch fell on the roof. Sunroof was shattered and some dents on the roof. No structure issues at all. Roof received PDR and it's very close to perfect besides a 1" scratch that was touched up and sunroof was replaced. The car retailed for $37k with a clean title and I paid $27k fixed. $10k savings was worth it for me. I do not have a warranty on the car so that was my only real loss, but factory warranty would have expire soon after anyways.

You can finance a car with a rebuilt title if needed. Lightstream does it without issue.
Insurance is no different. If I get in an accident my payout will reflect the rebuilt title value and not clean title, but rates are no different.

Resale can be challenging. Everyone assumes the worst with a rebuilt title car. When I buy mine I save all the info on the car that I can get. I have all the photos when my sq5 originally sold at the copart auction so people can see the damage was pretty minor. When I sell this I have an audi dealer two miles away and they can fully inspect it. I plan on keeping it for a while though.
Thanks for the info. I guess the proxy bidder is what I need when I plan on buying a sub 5K project car. Most likely a Golf GTI.. or a Focus ST.

HTML