Jerky

Sass46

My new 2019 Nautilus is very jerky at slow speed. The dealer said the car has the adjust to my driving style. Seriously I can’t imagine a luxury car with this issue!
Now what?

LTC1997

Unless you recently had the battery cable disconnected(?) or just bought the car and haven't driven it a good half-dozen times yet, I can't imagine the car feeling unrefined because of it's adaptive controls.

Or maybe it's because your teenage son often drives it? :-;😉

bbf2530

My new 2019 Nautilus is very jerky at slow speed. The dealer said the car has the adjust to my driving style. Seriously I can’t imagine a luxury car with this issue!
Now what?
Hi Sass. Give it a few weeks to see if it smooths out. There is also the possibility that your new Nautilus simply drives differently than your old car and you will adjust (I can't tell how "jerky" it actually is).

Either way, give it a few weeks. If it still feels like something is wrong, make a service appointment.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

Sass46

Unless you recently had the battery cable disconnected(?) or just bought the car and haven't driven it a good half-dozen times yet, I can't imagine the car feeling unrefined because of it's adaptive controls.

Or maybe it's because your teenage son often drives it? :-;😉
Brand new..I have 1500+ miles now and did not disconnect the battery 🤔
Hi Sass. Give it a few weeks to see if it smooths out. There is also the possibility that your new Nautilus simply drives differently than your old car and you will adjust (I can't tell how "jerky" it actually is).

Either way, give it a few weeks. If it still feels like something is wrong, make a service appointment.

I’m holding out till 2,000 mi !

bbf2530

Brand new..I have 1500+ miles now and did not disconnect the battery 🤔

I’m holding out till 2,000 mi !
Hi Sass. With 1,500+ miles, any adaptive functions should have taken effect by now.

So...we will need more information. First, when you state that "The dealer said the car has the (to) adjust to my driving style.", who told you that? Your salesperson, someone in the Service Department, someone else...? Get answers for this type of question from your Service Department. Next, did you bring it in and have them check it or only talk to them on the phone? No one can really tell what someone else considers to be "jerky", so if you ask questions like this over the phone, you will generally get a variation of one of two answers. "That is how they all drive" or "If you think there is a problem, we can make an appointment for service". You got...It "has to adjust to your driving style", which is a variation of the first answer.

I would recommend you go to your Dealership and ask to drive another comparably equipped (engine wise) Nautilus. See if it behaves the same way. If it drives appreciably smoother, then bring that to the attention of the Service Department and make an appointment. If it drives the same way as yours, give it some time to see if the Nautilus (and you) adjust as time goes on. It may be that is the way it drives, or it may be that there is an early issue that Lincoln will need to address with a reprogramming (I have no idea either way).

We can't feel what you are describing as jerkiness. It may be that there is an issue with your Nautilus. It is also possible, not knowing what your previous car was, that the Nautilus drives differently/more powerfully than your previous car? Or the throttle tip-in could be more sensitive than your previous car. There are a lot of variables, so start by taking a test drive in another Nautilus with the same engine so you have a baseline comparison.

As an example, this morning I dropped off my 2018 MKZ for service and picked up an MKZ loaner. The brakes on the loaner car are so grabby on low speed stops (didn't check higher speed stops), that I would consider it nearly undrivable as my every day car. The brakes on my car are perfect. Two similar cars, two very different sets of brakes. Maybe the loaner car brakes are bad from hard driving...maybe they are just that way...or maybe, just I don't know.

Last edited:

Sass46

Hi Sass. With 1,500+ miles, any adaptive functions should have taken effect by now.

So...we will need more information. First, when you state that "The dealer said the car has the (to) adjust to my driving style.", who told you that? Your salesperson, someone in the Service Department, someone else...? Get answers for this type of question from your Service Department. Next, did you bring it in and have them check it or only talk to them on the phone? No one can really tell what someone else considers to be "jerky", so if you ask questions like this over the phone, you will generally get a variation of one of two answers. "That is how they all drive" or "If you think there is a problem, we can make an appointment for service". You got...It "has to adjust to your driving style", which is a variation of the first answer.

I would recommend you go to your Dealership and ask to drive another comparably equipped (engine wise) Nautilus. See if it behaves the same way. If it drives appreciably smoother, then bring that to the attention of the Service Department and make an appointment. If it drives the same way as yours, give it some time to see if the Nautilus (and you) adjust as time goes on. It may be that is the way it drives, or it may be that there is an early issue that Lincoln will need to address with a reprogramming (I have no idea either way).

We can't feel what you are describing as jerkiness. It may be that there is an issue with your Nautilus. It is also possible, not knowing what your previous car was, that the Nautilus drives differently/more powerfully than your previous car? Or the throttle tip-in could be more sensitive than your previous car. There are a lot of variables, so start by taking a test drive in another Nautilus with the same engine so you have a baseline comparison.

As an example, this morning I dropped off my 2018 MKZ for service and picked up an MKZ loaner. The brakes on the loaner car are so grabby on low speed stops (didn't check higher speed stops), that I would consider it nearly undrivable as my every day car. The brakes on my car are perfect. Two similar cars, two very different sets of brakes. Maybe the loaner car brakes are bad from hard driving...maybe they are just that way...or maybe, just I don't know.

I spoke to the sales person a few days after the purchase. She phoned back and said I could bring it in but the suggested 1000 miles shakedown.
Last week,I phoned and spoke to the service Dept and got the 10,000 mile advice.
My last car was a Buick Envision with a speedy and smooth transmissions and engine.

bbf2530

I spoke to the sales person a few days after the purchase. She phoned back and said I could bring it in but the suggested 1000 miles shakedown.
Last week,I phoned and spoke to the service Dept and got the 10,000 mile advice.
My last car was a Buick Envision with a speedy and smooth transmissions and engine.
Hi Sass. In that case, I would recommend going to the Dealership and test driving another similarly equipped Nautilus (the same engine as yours) that they have on the lot. You don't need to wait 10,000 miles if you are that unhappy with the smoothness of your vehicle.

Sass46

Off to a different dealership next week.
Love the concierge service!!

HTML