Interchangeable parts???

Today I pulled up behind a Mercury at the stop light and it seemed, from 10 feet away, that the tail lights might be interchangeable with the TC

Has anyone done an interchangeability list of the TC for future referance when the only parts available will be in the junk yard????

TownCars1

Houston/TX
I can't even figure out what parts fit on my car when I have them in my hand and when I give the VIN to the dealer. Ford's part system blows. With other cars, I can pull off a part, check the part number, and search for that part number. With these parts, oh yes, there are numbers all over the part, but it's just that none of them are the part number, they are some crazy engineering number or something. I have to rely on the dealer to use their system for part numbers, and half the time they are scratching their heads trying to find the right part number. The other day they gave me all the wrong actuators after giving them the VIN and them ordering from another dealer for same day delivery. Waste of time.

So how you are going to get a cross reference of part numbers to work between brands, good luck.

mark95man

Just look at the quarter panels on both cars. We own a 07 TC & 08 MGM and those parts are not interchangeable. They might look similar but when you really look at the body lines, they are vastly different.

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
The 1998 thru 2002 Lincoln Town Car do not use exactly the same tail light lens and it will not fit a 2003 plus model Lincoln Town Car. So changing parts between marques will be an added challenge. In some cases the engine diagnostics differ from Town Car to the other Panther marques. So some expertise is required.

Having a list of interchangeable parts would be a good idea. Any ideas on how we would compile the info?

Well, the method we used on the Jaguar list was to just start a thread like this and then anyone that knew of a part, by actual experience, that can be interchanged, comment on it here. Then if the list gets unwieldy, I will do a single page compilation and update the sheet as more is learned. If we cannot get enough data just from replies to this list, then there is no need to do a compilation.
I already noted that the two actuators that were replaced on my last visit to the dealer, were identical except for the arm on the motor. Even though the two parts came in different sized boxes and had different part numbers and different prices, the on!y difference was the replaceable arm. The motor and mounting plate are identical. The parts were $50 parts, but the difference was a 35 cent piece of plastic!!!

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
I think the approach is good to get info to compile a list.

But I wasn't thinking of campatible/interchangeable parts as needing to be altered by replacing some integral components of these parts to make them interchangeable. My problem with this example is that the floor door actuator has 3 positions: floor door open, partial open, and closed. But the panel/defrost actuator has 2 positions: panel, and defrost. Since it is a big job to change those actuators the list must state what we know to be true, and I am not convinced that because the mounting points are the same and the arms can be changed that the actuators are interchangeable. Perhaps the EATC will position the doors correctly but how do we know that?

I would prefer a list of known compatible parts that people can rely on. What do you think?

I agree. But in this case, I believe, but have not yest tested, that the actuators are identical because the plugs are identical with the same number of connections. If there is a difference in the positions used I suspect it is caused by not using all the pins. I will be testing this in the near future to prove it. The actuator arms are easily interchanged. But I am also interested in exchanges that are easily adapted because there have been times in the past when I was restoring a 60 year old car that not exactly the right part was available. I have owned about 120 cars over the years and most were at least 20 years old. Try to find an original HYDRAULIC windshield wiper motor for a 1960 Tbird....LOL. Any option is interesting to a 1960 Tbird owner.

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
I guess I had the wrong idea, I thought you were looking for a list of parts that were the same for a number of model years and were therefore interchangeable between those cars.

Good luck.

Often, with all the different manufacturers that go into varions cars, there are parts from, lets say cadillac that are the same, but marked differently, that will replace parts on Dodges, etc. When the parts are made by an outside vendor they are often sold to many different buyers.

But, as I said, replacing the actuator arm from the bad servo to another servo that may have been used elsewhere but is exactly the same in dimentions and electrical specifications, IS an EXACT replacement. The 10 minutes required to change the actuator arm is just part of the exchange, like replacing a blown fuse in an otherwise perfectly good electronic assembly.. Just because Ford decided to put several parts from different sources into a single module does not mean we have to adhere to that "module mentality". Changing a fuse in an electric circuit violated the "module mentality" but does not make the repaired board other than an EXACT replacement.

On my 1958 Continental I was driving across west Texas when the car started using gas so fast I could watch the fuel gauge move. I drove into a Ford dealer in a small town and they diagnosed it as a "split carburetor" The huge cast iron engine expanded at a different rate than the four barrel, aluminum or pot metal carb and this would split the carb in half. The dealer offered a two week wait for a Continental carb to be shipped in...OR immediate replacement with a Ford F-150 truck carb which was identical, but marked differently and came in a different box. Exact replacement in my book.

I opted for the truck carb.

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
Hi jimisbell,

You have a lot of experience working with the innards of components so I think you are uniquely experienced to identify cross platform or cross manufacturer opportunities. I am not nearly so gifted so I am constrained by what the manufacturer or others experience as workable replacements. I don't know how to create a list under those criteria.

I will be interested in what your tests on the two actuators discovers.

Good luck.

First, I found that http://www.fordparts.com/ has an interchangeable parts function. I havent looked closely at it yet, but it proposes to show parts that interchange.

As to the two blend door motors that were "replaced" on my car.......an interesting development there.

When I got the two "used" parts back, I examined them very carefully for physical evidence that they had ever been installed. There were NO marks on the plastic that would indicate that they had ever been installed. But at the time I dismissed this as just my not understanding what I was looking at. Why the hell would they have left them uninstalled and then returned them to me new?? It doesnt make any sense.

But two days ago, after finding that the blend doors just were not functioning properly, I ran the self test and got two "errors", 2266 and 2267 which are the "not functioning or shorted" indicators for the two motors that were just replaced. Now it doesnt make sense that those both immediately failed again. What does seem reasonable is that the mechanic was just tired of working on the car and decided the work to replace the two motors was more than he wanted to get into, so closed it up, thinking that maybe I would not notice the failure, and returned to me the two new motors that he had requisitioned from the supply room.

So....its going back for repairs after the new year. The repairs have a 12 month warranty so the only hurry is my wifes displeasure with cold air on her face during the winter. I will NOT voice my suspicions on the repair as it would be un-political to do so when I need to deal with them for the next 4 years, at least, and besides, if true, I get two spare parts on the shelf for my troubles.

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
Hi jimisbell,

Interesting that a Ford dealer has an interchangeable parts "function". It sounds like the feature on RockAuto where you search for a part and the system returns a number of Ford and aftermarket parts that meet the criteria. Having a similar feature for OEM or Motorcraft parts is novel.

I thought you had the Floor and Panel/Defrost mode door actuators replaced (requires dash removal) but the blend door actuators were not replaced at that time. Then you had the problem with the passenger blend door actuator and you wanted both blend door actuators replaced. So my memory has it that the blend door actuators were a specific job. Sometimes the techs think the blend door actuators need dash removal (based upon experience prior to 2003 model) and need to be reminded that removing the dash is not required. Or perhaps my memory is wrong.

Good luck.

I am going by the two parts they gave me. So I assume that is what they "replaced" The part of the dash that I actually saw removed was the "trim" that comes off with just two screws above the instrument cluster. They had to remove that to remove the control head that they wanted to replace at $700....that I fixed.

G-437525

Interested if anyone knows what year continentals have interchangeable parts? From 97 to 2002

Rebelson11x95

Often, with all the different manufacturers that go into varions cars, there are parts from, lets say cadillac that are the same, but marked differently, that will replace parts on Dodges, etc. When the parts are made by an outside vendor they are often sold to many different buyers.

But, as I said, replacing the actuator arm from the bad servo to another servo that may have been used elsewhere but is exactly the same in dimentions and electrical specifications, IS an EXACT replacement. The 10 minutes required to change the actuator arm is just part of the exchange, like replacing a blown fuse in an otherwise perfectly good electronic assembly.. Just because Ford decided to put several parts from different sources into a single module does not mean we have to adhere to that "module mentality". Changing a fuse in an electric circuit violated the "module mentality" but does not make the repaired board other than an EXACT replacement.

On my 1958 Continental I was driving across west Texas when the car started using gas so fast I could watch the fuel gauge move. I drove into a Ford dealer in a small town and they diagnosed it as a "split carburetor" The huge cast iron engine expanded at a different rate than the four barrel, aluminum or pot metal carb and this would split the carb in half. The dealer offered a two week wait for a Continental carb to be shipped in...OR immediate replacement with a Ford F-150 truck carb which was identical, but marked differently and came in a different box. Exact replacement in my book.

I opted for the truck carb.
How much did a side dislike that cost