I'm having a bizarre problem with the security system in my 1999 Town Car.

Thread starter #1

Sparkyusn

This situation is very perplexing to say the least. Please help me out if you can. I will try to detail the problem in as short of time as possible. Sometimes the fuel pump gets turned off and the engine will not start. I have noticed a few things that the few things that happen whenever this occurs. Whenever it will not start, the little red light on the dash that normally flashes at 1 flash per second starts flashing rapidly whenever I turn the key to the on position. Then the engine will not start. Sometimes I have tried this and the car will start. I will take out the keys from the ignition, then stand outside and first locking the doors and shutting the door . Then I will insert my key into the door lock, unlock the door using the key, get back behind the wheel, place my key into the ignition switch and then the car will start nine times out of ten. There are some times that the car will not start at all for several minutes. It is all very random. It can be cold or hot outside and it will do the same thing. There is no rhyme or reason to this problem. I went so far as to do a little research online recently and I purchased a used module that operates the keypad on the driver's door and had that replaced and it made no difference. This is where I am at right now. I would like to know how to proceed if I may. This is a 1999 model Town Car that's been kept in good shape all this time and has 202000 miles on it to date. I appreciate some thoughtful help. Thank you.

The flashing red PATS light when you turn on the ignition means the chipped key is not recognised. The likely problem is the sensor by the ign switch that recognises the chiped key and sends a message to the Hybrid module in the dash which controls the PATS. The problem is likely a broken wire in this sensor usually due to steering wheel height tugging on the wire and breaking it. The problem is intermittent because the wires can make contact sometimes. This is a common problem with the 1999 model.

We have a procedure in our Tech forum to explain the problem and the procedure to resolve it here: Town Car no start or no crank with PATS light on Note the procedure is in Word. My Adobe Pro writer is not working now to convert the file to pdf, so I hope the Word file works for you.

Good luck.

Thread starter #3
The flashing red PATS light when you turn on the ignition means the chipped key is not recognised. The likely problem is the sensor by the ign switch that recognises the chiped key and sends a message to the Hybrid module in the dash which controls the PATS. The problem is likely a broken wire in this sensor usually due to steering wheel height tugging on the wire and breaking it. The problem is intermittent because the wires can make contact sometimes. This is a common problem with the 1999 model.

We have a procedure in our Tech forum to explain the problem and the procedure to resolve it here: Town Car no start or no crank with PATS light on Note the procedure is in Word. My Adobe Pro writer is not working now to convert the file to pdf, so I hope the Word file works for you.

Good luck.
Thank you very much TOWN, for posting that link and answering my question in a timely manner! This certainty sound just like the problem at hand. I will give this a try ASAP.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

HTML